Dealer sold pioneer with our deposit....

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well, not the first post I was hoping for, but here goes!

Last weekend we travelled 1 1/2 hours to a Honda dealer, somewhere in New Hampshire. I will maintain their privacy until the problem is totally resolved...

We looked at a 2018 "demo" 700-4, actually called ahead of time to make sure that specific vehicle was available, and it was. Supposedly came with 2 year warranty, $11.2k plus dealer fees. No miles on unit.

We saw it, liked it, etc and had a problem with our (wife and I) credit being locked to apply for a loan. Feeling pretty confident we could get some type of financing, we left a $200 deposit in cash, with a generic receipt labeled "hold". I offered a $1000 deposit but the woman insisted 200 was enough.

As the week went by, we learned our credit turned out to be not so hot according to Honda. But a local creditor says no problem, not a great rate but oh well...this was on Tuesday we find out.

We tell them great, we will try to get the financed amount low as possible by this weekend hopefully. That being one week after deposit. Fast forward to yesterday, Sunday, and a few bikes I had sold and we had 6k in cash. So load everyone up, just before we leave had the idea of calling, as we have NOT heard from them since the credit deal on Tuesday...

And find out they sold our sxs, and it was the last 2018 on site. Oops, we effed up says the manager/owner. They offer a 2019 later this week for the same price (about 12.2k out the door) but no 2nd year warranty.

I have a habit of losing my mind over this type of business practice, and maybe it was an honest mistake. But they claimed they tried to contact my wife about the 2018, which did not happen. No missed calls or voicemails. I'm okay with the price in general, I think, but makes me think twice about giving them my business.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Last weekend we travelled 1 1/2 hours to a Honda dealer, somewhere in New Hampshire. I will maintain their privacy until the problem is totally resolved...

We looked at a 2018 "demo" 700-4, actually called ahead of time to make sure that specific vehicle was available, and it was. Supposedly came with 2 year warranty, $11.2k plus dealer fees. No miles on unit.

We saw it, liked it, etc and had a problem with our (wife and I) credit being locked to apply for a loan. Feeling pretty confident we could get some type of financing, we left a $200 deposit in cash, with a generic receipt labeled "hold". I offered a $1000 deposit but the woman insisted 200 was enough.

As the week went by, we learned our credit turned out to be not so hot according to Honda. But a local creditor says no problem, not a great rate but oh well...this was on Tuesday we find out.

We tell them great, we will try to get the financed amount low as possible by this weekend hopefully. That being one week after deposit. Fast forward to yesterday, Sunday, and a few bikes I had sold and we had 6k in cash. So load everyone up, just before we leave had the idea of calling, as we have NOT heard from them since the credit deal on Tuesday...

And find out they sold our sxs, and it was the last 2018 on site. Oops, we effed up says the manager/owner. They offer a 2019 later this week for the same price (about 12.2k out the door) but no 2nd year warranty.

I have a habit of losing my mind over this type of business practice, and maybe it was an honest mistake. But they claimed they tried to contact my wife about the 2018, which did not happen. No missed calls or voicemails. I'm okay with the price in general, I think, but makes me think twice about giving them my business.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

I have come to a place in my life where if I don't have peace about something, I generally don't do it. It comes back to bite ya far more often when you ignore that feeling than when you walk away.

That being said, extended warranty on a Honda is most likely not that great of a value anyhow as they are rarely used. :)

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Overall, that sucks. What did they do with the $200? I know money down is the way people did things forever but personally if you don't have the money right now, you're not the kind of person I want to deal with. I've never given money down and I'm alright with not taking a deal if I can't pay for it on the spot.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
I think it comes down to how much you believe the "we f***ed up" part? If it's legit (and sounds like they are trying to make it right), then I'd be ok doing business with them. If they did this knowingly...then I'd tell them to refund my deposit and kiss my ass.

Reactions: 100Acre
Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've used deposits in the past, usually as non-refundable to imply I am going to buy it, one way or another. And if not, the seller wins the deposit as compensation for any lost sales. Seems to work well.

Dealer does still have deposit and is going to hold a 2019 model (for real this time), and overall I'm ok with that. Just a little frustrated. They advertise themselves as a "high volume" dealer. As opposed to my local dealer, who I will use for parts but would have costed almost $4k more for the same model including tax.

I've been riding Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc dirtbikes and 3 wheelers for almost 30 years and have been doing my own work for most of that, so I'm not overly concerned with the warranty anyhow. It was a nice selling point though.

Thanks,
Matt

Reactions: 100Acre
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
As everyone knows, there are two-sides to any situation and in any deal, both parties need to leave satisfied. So, I think this really comes down to how earnest you believe they were in honoring their part of the agreement? Also are you satisfied with the proposed solution and if not, what will it take to make it right? Whatever you think it will take to make the situation “right”, then I would hold firm (gather your facts), make an appointment and deal with it in person.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've used deposits in the past, usually as non-refundable to imply I am going to buy it, one way or another. And if not, the seller wins the deposit as compensation for any lost sales. Seems to work well.

Dealer does still have deposit and is going to hold a 2019 model (for real this time), and overall I'm ok with that. Just a little frustrated. They advertise themselves as a "high volume" dealer. As opposed to my local dealer, who I will use for parts but would have costed almost $4k more for the same model including tax.

I've been riding Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc dirtbikes and 3 wheelers for almost 30 years and have been doing my own work for most of that, so I'm not overly concerned with the warranty anyhow. It was a nice selling point though.

Thanks,
Matt
Demos are usually ran hard. But on a 700 in the real world you'll never need the warranty. They are as bulletproof as they come. Been around a long time.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
That's a tough one. You trusted them with the deposit to hold the machine you wanted with a good warranty. You left thinking that was your machine.

Then comes another willing and able buyer with the money and or credit. To them you were the guy with bad credit and MIA to that point.

I personally would expect them to make it up some how. Get that warranty or something similar in value. I.E. free oil changes, valve checks etc. Like @dnjones161 said, it's a peace of mind thing.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That stuff happens all the time. If a customer is there to buy they take the sale and offer you a good deal to make up for it. Pretty simple and I cant say that I blame them. Take the new one. The warranty is irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
They failed. They have offered you a good deal to make it right.
I would get over the emotions of being dissed. Make a financial decision not an emotional one. This is business and it's your money.
If you want a newer machine for the same money, just go get it.

Don't spend more later for the same thing just to pay back someone who doesn't know or care.

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well as long as they hold to their verbal offer I will stick with them I guess. Gave me some time to get my trailer ready anyhow.

Reactions: 500oneer
Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
A demo unit with no miles on it?
I didn't understand either, but no miles. Only had 1 hour on it. Apparently they buy them as demos but dont demonstrate them. Had a "do not sell until" date taped to it.

It sure looked brandy new as well.

Last edited:
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That stuff happens all the time. If a customer is there to buy they take the sale and offer you a good deal to make up for it. Pretty simple and I cant say that I blame them. Take the new one. The warranty is irrelevant.

I'm in sales and that would never happen at our dealership. Total BS . As far as deposit we only keep it if you back out on a special order. If you keep the deposit you will never sale them a unit in the future.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm in sales and that would never happen at our dealership. Total BS . As far as deposit we only keep it if you back out on a special order. If you keep the deposit you will never sale them a unit in the future.
I'm not saying you would. I'm just saying it's not that uncommon these days. A buddy put 2k down on a brand new truck and they still sold it. It seems people aka dealers see a deposit as earnest money towards a good deal and not necessarily a hold on a specific item. Right or wrong it happens a lot.

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'm not saying you would. I'm just saying it's not that uncommon these days. A buddy put 2k down on a brand new truck and they still sold it. It seems people aka dealers see a deposit as earnest money towards a good deal and not necessarily a hold on a specific item. Right or wrong it happens a lot.

Gotcha. Bad business practice for sure. We never take a deposit without a signed contract. The contract protects both parties.

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
I would look around, sounds to me like your getting ready to deal with a dealer that doesn’t care as long as they make the sale. FWIW I paid $10,300 OTD for my 2017 700-4 brand new hold over unit in August of 2018.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!