Deer lease went up in smoke !

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Became a member on a deer lease back in March here in East Texas. Been working hard to get it ready to hunt for my FIL and me. No rain for close to 2 months and then we get some thunder showers and lighting strikes. Lease boss tells me it hit about 2 or 300 yards from my stand. I think the fire burned close to 400ac. Boss man tells me if we get some meaningful rainfall in a few weeks I'll have a great hunting spot. Not really feeling good about this. I have no idea what to do now. Feeder and stand I'm sure is toast. Also just had limed my spot in prep for some oat planting in October. I won't be able to go out there for 10 days. Not sure what to expect. Anybody have any ideas on how to move forward with a 100ac chunk of charcoal?
TIA

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Became a member on a deer lease back in March here in East Texas. Been working hard to get it ready to hunt for my FIL and me. No rain for close to 2 months and then we get some thunder showers and lighting strikes. Lease boss tells me it hit about 2 or 300 yards from my stand. I think the fire burned close to 400ac. Boss man tells me if we get some meaningful rainfall in a few weeks I'll have a great hunting spot. Not really feeling good about this. I have no idea what to do now. Feeder and stand I'm sure is toast. Also just had limed my spot in prep for some oat planting in October. I won't be able to go out there for 10 days. Not sure what to expect. Anybody have any ideas on how to move forward with a 100ac chunk of charcoal?
TIA
Rain will be the deal.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
TIA
Move out of TX where you don't have to lease land to hunt? 🤷‍♂️
Sorry not helpful but it's all I got

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Move out of TX where you don't have to lease land to hunt? 🤷‍♂️
Sorry not helpful but it's all I got
I actually own almost 500ac in TX. for hunting. It's just a long ways from my house. I don't get out there much. The deer lease is 30 minutes from my front door and I would be able to hunt any free weekends. It's very convenient. Don't feel sorry for me , I am blessed to have the hunting opportunities that I have.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
TIA

Sounds like a Hot Spot for 🦌

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
TIA
I’d be ecstatic, long range dumping plus when it starts to grow back - browse central - consider yourself blessed

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I actually own almost 500ac in TX. for hunting. It's just a long ways from my house. I don't get out there much. The deer lease is 30 minutes from my front door and I would be able to hunt any free weekends. It's very convenient. Don't feel sorry for me , I am blessed to have the hunting opportunities that I have.
I feel your pain. I have hinting land 3 hrs from my house. Every time i get a pice close so i can hunt from after work or a weekend close to home, it gets sold or they stop letting people hunt. Tuff now a days

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
I feel your pain. I have hinting land 3 hrs from my house. Every time i get a pice close so i can hunt from after work or a weekend close to home, it gets sold or they stop letting people hunt. Tuff now a days
Yeah, as I have gotten older it seems harder and harder to find time for anything. All the timber leases around here can be sold or taken out of rotation or clear-cut. It's part of it. Was really excited to have someplace to go close by.

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I’d be ecstatic, long range dumping plus when it starts to grow back - browse central - consider yourself blessed
I’m with DRZR on this. If the fire burned hot and fast it probably didn’t kill the roots. Even without rain you might see green sprouts within a week. Ya, rain would help speed things up, but not totally necessary.

Keep an eye on weedy spots developing. Spray as necessary. Especially in areas scared by equipment to fight the fire.

Hope for the best, it might surprise you.

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
TIA
The lease owner is right. We control burn all the time up here to kill cedar trees. If it rains the wildlife loves it after a good burn. You just don't want to heavily graze with cattle after a burn. Puts a lot of nutrients back in the soil.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
The lease owner is right. We control burn all the time up here to kill cedar trees. If it rains the wildlife loves it after a good burn. You just don't want to heavily graze with cattle after a burn. Puts a lot of nutrients back in the soil.
No cows on the lease, thank goodness. Wondering if I should go down to the feed store and see if they have some kind of seed to throw down for this time of year after a burn that would be good for deer.

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
No cows on the lease, thank goodness. Wondering if I should go down to the feed store and see if they have some kind of seed to throw down for this time of year after a burn that would be good for deer.
In my opinion, that all depends on the range condition before the fire. Was it composed of healthy native perennial plants? Was it a messy annual weed patch? If it wasn't healthy I would rent a drill and use it as an opportunity to no till some good grass. If it was healthy less will be more. If it stays dry all money spent on seed will be wasted and driving on it will damage the soil and cause it to blow. Remember this is advise from a sandhills rancher. No texas experience.

R

roughneck266

Aug 27, 2023
Lufkin, Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
TIA
You down towards Jasper?
If you toss seed now, it will likely just get eaten by hogs and such if there isn't any rain to help it take hold. I would personally get the seed and wait till I see some water in the forecast. That is what I am doing. I hunt Angelina, Trinity and Houston Counties.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
You down towards Jasper?
If you toss seed now, it will likely just get eaten by hogs and such if there isn't any rain to help it take hold. I would personally get the seed and wait till I see some water in the forecast. That is what I am doing. I hunt Angelina, Trinity and Houston Counties.
Huntsville area, I shot my first deer in Anderson co. though. Fun times. That sounds like a plan. What seed will you put out?

R

roughneck266

Aug 27, 2023
Lufkin, Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Huntsville area, I shot my first deer in Anderson co. though. Fun times. That sounds like a plan. What seed will you put out?
I usually do winter peas and rye before it gets too cold. Im old, my bones dont like working in the cold as much as they used to. lol I stay with that particular mix simply because it works well in the patch of forest that I am hunting. Lots of guy suse other stuff around here. I have one freind that smokes a good buck year in and year out, and all he ever plants is some East Texas mix the local feed store mixes up. I haven't ever used it, but it obviously does fairly well.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I usually do winter peas and rye before it gets too cold. Im old, my bones dont like working in the cold as much as they used to. lol I stay with that particular mix simply because it works well in the patch of forest that I am hunting. Lots of guy suse other stuff around here. I have one freind that smokes a good buck year in and year out, and all he ever plants is some East Texas mix the local feed store mixes up. I haven't ever used it, but it obviously does fairly well.
It gets cold in Texas 🤔🙄🤣.

What you think @906UP ?

R

roughneck266

Aug 27, 2023
Lufkin, Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
It gets cold in Texas 🤔🙄🤣.

What you think @906UP ?

Look, I lived in Buffalo NY for almost two years, I have worked in both Alaska, and Canada, etc etc etc. It gets cold enough I don't want to work outside in it for free. lol Besides, the peas don't care what my opinion is, they grow how they grow. They will grow at that time, but they need to be started prior.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
10-4 , I'll check into some winter peas.

Reactions: roughneck266
silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Update on the Fire.
Some pictures from the lease boss.
Lease members are still not allowed on the property, but it looks like my little feeder made it. My stand may have been flame broiled a little bit though. And I think I might be able to land a Piper Cub at my spot.

IMG 0351001 IMG 0349001 IMG 0353001 IMG 0350001

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!