P1000 DEI heat shield.

C

CaseysDaddy

Jul 6, 2018
minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello Club members,
I have questions about the under seat heat shield that is made by DEI. Is anybody running one of those as a stand alone upgrade and with that is anybody having issues with engine performance with it installed? I saw a couple of posts online saying that owners where getting power steering alarms or machines will not shift?
Any information you guys have would be great
My machine is a 2018 PK15 if that helps with the discussion.

Reactions: Lady01 and Biteme
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don’t see how it could effect power steering and as far as heat, doubt that would be an issue for the sub tran. I have one just haven’t installed it yet but many here have done similar home made options and I’m sure some have the DEI.

Reactions: Lady01 and Biteme
C

CaseysDaddy

Jul 6, 2018
minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don’t see how it could effect power steering and as far as heat, doubt that would be an issue for the sub tran. I have one just haven’t installed it yet but many here have done similar home made options and I’m sure some have the DEI.
I believe people are saying that the computer is getting hot and that is where the problems are coming from..

Reactions: Lady01
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello Club members,
I have questions about the under seat heat shield that is made by DEI. Is anybody running one of those as a stand alone upgrade and with that is anybody having issues with engine performance with it installed? I saw a couple of posts online saying that owners where getting power steering alarms or machines will not shift?
Any information you guys have would be great
My machine is a 2018 PK15 if that helps with the discussion.
Tried all that stuff, just put a fan under the passenger side seat blowing across the headers on a toggle switch so you can enjoy the heat in the winter, you can chase this rabbit into a hole and it will pop out somewhere else. I copied @JTW that copied it from some one else. It works, very simple install. Go to the Pioneer 1000 shop talk thread and learn what the real fix is.

Reactions: Lady01 and JTW
C

CaseysDaddy

Jul 6, 2018
minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tried all that stuff, just put a fan under the passenger side seat blowing across the headers on a toggle switch so you can enjoy the heat in the winter, you can chase this rabbit into a hole and it will pop out somewhere else. I copied @JTW that copied it from some one else. It works, very simple install. Go to the Pioneer 1000 shop talk thread and learn what the real fix is.
Smitty335, any way you could narrow that down a little since there are 33 pages in that thread or maybe just the title of what i should be looking for.
you could also just copy and paste it right here.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Smitty335, any way you could narrow that down a little since there are 33 pages in that thread or maybe just the title of what i should be looking for.
you could also just copy and paste it right here.
Search overheating,, cab heat etc, something should come up but dei also has a fan kit from what I remember.

G

GuyOnABuffalo

You really are new to atv/utv’s if these are a bunch of problems, not a single mfg doesn’t have issues or things people complain about.
It just seems like there are a lot of people here doing more than I’d think necessary from any company

Reactions: Lady01 and Isaiah
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It just seems like there are a lot of people here doing more than I’d think necessary from any company
What do you see people do that is required and isn’t necessary? If you think everything should be stock then the forums would be boring.

Go to any forum for anything and you’ll find people upgrade a ton, never necessary but more a personal desire, you don’t see the majority of people posting the good on anything online but those small few with issues always post it up. I wouldn’t touch a belt driven machine with all their long standing failures. Guess to me the Honda doesn’t have many issues compared to most which is why I went with it.

If you wanted an 80mph race machine you wouldn’t look at the pioneer but just because many upgrade and improve their units to their taste doesn’t mean in stock form the pioneer is not capable and needs the upgrades.

Buy a stock honda, run it properly, don’t shift from L, H, R without coming to a complete stop, use L when going slow, do the proper maintenance and you’ll be fine but like everything there are always a few units with issues, Polaris has many more of these units.

If your looking for perfection don’t get any utv, or vehicle for that matter, really anything because anything can have issues.

Last edited:
G

GuyOnABuffalo

What do you see people do then is necessary?

Go to any forum for anything and you’ll people upgrade a ton, never necessary, you don’t see the majority of people posting the good on anything online but those small few with issues always post it up. I wouldn’t touch a belt driven machine with all their long standing failures. Guess to me the Honda doesn’t have many issues compared to most which is why I went with it.

Buy a stock honda, run it properly, don’t shift from L, H, R without coming to a complete stop, use L when going slow, do the proper maintenance and you’ll be fine but like everything there are always a few units with issues, Polaris has many more of these units.

If your looking for perfection don’t get any utv, or vehicle for that matter, really anything because anything can have issues.
Yeah, I guess. It just seems there are an unusually high amount compared to some of the other machines I’ve looked into. I have t looked much at Polaris for this reason. The Kawasaki tyrex and Yamaha rmax and tyrex KrX seem to get good reviews.

Reactions: Lady01 and Isaiah
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I guess. It just seems there are an unusually high amount compared to some of the other machines I’ve looked into. I have t looked much at Polaris for this reason. The Kawasaki tyrex and Yamaha rmax and tyrex KrX seem to get good reviews.
Well I’m sure they are better depending on what you want but they are much different machines as well. What big issues do you see with the Honda, maybe they can be better explained so you can make a more informed decision. Also remember the KRX and RMAX are relatively new machines where the Pioneer has been out since 2016, give them a few more years and you’ll see their issues more.

Although we do hear the KRX is the ultimate machine.

Do you need the utility function or will you just be using It to ride and have fun? If you didn’t need the utility aspect I’d look at other options as they come with better options and HP but also cost way more.

If you need something to just tool around, play, work and take 3 or 5 people the pioneer is perfect and no it doesn’t need anything but gas. Read the manual and follow it and your likely to have many great years out of the machine, chances you get a unit that is bad is probably less then 0.05%.

Last edited:
C

CaseysDaddy

Jul 6, 2018
minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So will I be fine running the DEI heat shield with out the fan all summer long?
That was really my original question??

G

GuyOnABuffalo

Well I’m sure they are better depending on what you want but they are much different machines as well. What big issues do you see with the Honda, maybe they can be better explained so you can make a more informed decision. Also remember the KRX and RMAX are relatively new machines where the Pioneer has been out since 2016, give them a few more years and you’ll see their issues more.

Although we do hear the KRX is the ultimate machine.

Do you need the utility function or will you just be using It to ride and have fun? If you didn’t need the utility aspect I’d look at other options as they come with better options and HP but also cost way more.

If you need something to just tool around, play, work and take 3 or 5 people the pioneer is perfect and no it doesn’t need anything but gas. Read the manual and follow it and your likely to have many great years out of the machine, chances you get a unit that is bad is probably less then 0.05%.
Ahhh, that makes sense. I’ve just seen these heat issues, clutch problems, steering stuff, and a bunch of other things mentioned here.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ahhh, that makes sense. I’ve just seen these heat issues, clutch problems, steering stuff, and a bunch of other things mentioned here.
All of them get hot, remember your sitting inches away from a motor on utv’s. Clutches are fine unless you abuse It in mud, 2016 had a clutch issue but that was fixed in 2017, steering is fine and all utv’s break stuff rock crawling or racing but they don’t just break.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!