Did you mount other than 25 inch tires?

1olranchman

Apr 5, 2014
Where I live/work with my 700 I have to navigate a LOT of rocks and rocky roads. Clearance becomes a real issue and I have unfortunately banged the front and/or bottom of my 700 many times. I just need an inch or two more to clear the vast majority of rocks I encounter. Now, knowing that the 700 is not exactly a powerhouse when it comes to its' engine, I have a question for those of you who have gone to 26 or 27 inch tires instead of the stock 25 inch; has the extra tire height had a noticeable negative impact on performance or handling? Your comments would be appreciated......

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Consider that if you add 27's you're only going to get an inch additional clearance (1" on each side of the center of the tire.)

A 2-3" lift and 27" tires would be great to help you get over a lot of things.

You can go as high as 28" and have only minor rubbing with a 3" lift(full lock and compressed)

There is a power loss going with a taller tire as it does change the effective final drive ratio.

I would also consider a full skid with a front bash plate.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
hello,
I would recommend tires to everyone. A good set of tires will make a world of difference. If concerned with power loss, just go with a small upgrade to a 26" and I guarantee you will be happy with the results. Once you get tires... think about a medium lift kit. Also adding a small front shock spacers will fix the bottoming out them a good skid to protect the underside and bash. Then your next trip you will wonder why you waited so long to do all that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stock
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433037865716910

27" with 2" Lift
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433037909850502

28" with @3.5"lift
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433037956726327

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Forgot to mention tires vary greatly from the size stamped on the side.

My 28x10-12 Evos measure 28.25"x10.5
My 27x10-12 Dirt Devils measured 26.75x9.25

On the same wheels....

But the 27x12-12 Dirt Devils measured 26.75x11.75... There was no reasoning behind tire size and actual sizes.

Reactions: allgm1
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I was actually thinking about this for the last few days. I am planning on getting the highlifter lift kit which is 3". Might put the lift on the 2" lift setting tho. That wont be to bad but put it on 3" for rougher trails. But i starting thinking should i stay with a 25" or 26" tire. I think it will look a little funny tho. But mainly thinking of doing it cause i do pull a lot with my pioneer and am questioning if 27" or 28" tires would hurt that pulling power a lot. 2nd thing is a 25" or 26" tire i do think my pioneer would still fit in my garage but not sure on that one. Future plans is to build a new building for it anyways. I knew what i was buying my pioneer for and that was for hunting and working around the hunt club it's about 4,500 acres and will be more land added. The lift is more a less for the few trail rides i will do like (windrock) and the hitting of stumps at my hunt club land. Now since i bought my pioneer it has became the workhorse of my hunt club. A lot of guys that would before use there trucks to get back in the bad spots now use me and my pioneer to pull loaded trailer or carry heavy loads in the bed.. It has truly done it all. I do want to continue being that go to guy and go to SxS. I do need a lift and i want that extra ground clearance. With 27" tires that would be about a 5" lift. This whole time i been planning on getting 27" tires. But now i might look at 26x10x12 on all corners or 25x10x12.... Looks wise i think 27" or 28" is the way to go. No lift now and my 25" tires look way to small even a few friends have said it about them 25" tires. Will look really bad with a 3" lift and 25" tires. lol

Last edited:
bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
you only gain a half inch of clearance for every tire size you go up

Reactions: Hondasxs
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I was actually thinking about this for the last few days. I am planning on getting the highlifter lift kit which is 3". Might put the lift on the 2" lift setting tho. That wont be to bad but put it on 3" for rougher trails. But i starting thinking should i stay with a 25" or 26" tire. I think it will look a little funny tho. But mainly thinking of doing it cause i do pull a lot with my pioneer and am questioning if 27" or 28" tires would hurt that pulling power a lot. 2nd thing is a 25" or 26" tire i do think my pioneer would still fit in my garage but not sure on that one. Future plans is to build a new building for it anyways. I knew what i was buying my pioneer for and that was for hunting and working around the hunt club it's about 4,500 acres and will be more land added. The lift is more a less for the few trail rides i will do like (windrock) and the hitting of stumps at my hunt club land. Now since i bought my pioneer it has became the workhorse of my hunt club. A lot of guys that would before use there trucks to get back in the bad spots now use me and my pioneer to pull loaded trailer or carry heavy loads in the bed.. It has truly done it all. I do want to continue being that go to guy and go to SxS. I do need a lift and i want that extra ground clearance. With 27" tires that would be about a 5" lift. This whole time i been planning on getting 27" tires. But now i might look at 26x10x12 on all corners or 25x10x12.... Looks wise i think 27" or 28" is the way to go. No lift now and my 25" tires look way to small even a few friends have said it about them 25" tires. Will look really bad with a 3" lift and 25" tires. lol
How heavy of a load test do you want me to tow with 28's?

Reactions: scott
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I think you will be fine with 27 or 28 go with 27 and you'll never hear them rub, go with 28 and they look better and give you a bit more sidewall flex in the rough stuff.
Rode with both and I have been happy. I am NOT a speed demon though, and I choose my lines carefully and way ahead of time. I like to keep the rubber side down.

Reactions: scott
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!