P1000 Different tire sizes, front and rear?

Homer

Homer

Happy Birthday MoPower!
Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Less than 500 miles and I have plugged both rear tires (factory bighorns). Last one was a torn lug, 8 plugs.
Unhappy camper.
Question: Can i be cheap and only upgrade to 28s on the rear and leave the 27s on the front? Or bite the bullet and replace new tires with newer tires?
Thanks.

Reactions: Isaiah and TxDoc
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Less than 500 miles and I have plugged both rear tires (factory bighorns). Last one was a torn lug, 8 plugs.
Unhappy camper.
Question: Can i be cheap and only upgrade to 28s on the rear and leave the 27s on the front? Or bite the bullet and replace new tires with newer tires?
Thanks.
Four 8 plys!

Reactions: Homer and Isaiah
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Unhappy camper.
Thanks.
I don't see changing from 27s to 28s at the rear being an issue. In theory it would only be a .5" height difference but most tires don't run the advertised height anyways. My .02

Reactions: Homer and Isaiah
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Unhappy camper.
Thanks.
Doing that will make the rear travel further/faster than the front when in 4WD and cause some tire scrubbing.

Also, i4WD doesn't like mismatched tires so if your unit is equipped with i4WD then it may throw a code and even possibly go into limp mode when you engage i4WD.

Reactions: Homer
Homer

Homer

Happy Birthday MoPower!
Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't see changing from 27s to 28s at the rear being an issue. In theory it would only be a .5" height difference but most tires don't run the advertised height anyways. My .02
Smitty, Are you still runnning the EVOs? They are near the top of my list.
Thanks all.

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Traditionally on a 4-Wheel drive all four tires should be the same height. Changing tire height combination could damage the drivetrain while operating/driving in 4WD.

Reactions: TripleB and CID

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
From what I understand, the ECU constantly monitors front and rear differential speeds regardless if in turf mode or 4WD. It won't let your rear turn faster or slower than your front for very long. It will go into sort of a limp mode. I tested this on jack stands with the rear lifted and front on the ground. Sure enough, as soon as I gave some throttle, a limiter kicked in.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Smitty, Are you still runnning the EVOs? They are near the top of my list.
Thanks all.
Yes I'm running ITP's, first set was the EVO's / Black Waters, second set is ITP Terra Hooks. I like the Terra Hooks a little better, but I try to avoid mud. The Black Water's are somewhat better in mud, but clean out extremely well, the Terra Hooks do ok in the mud, but really shine in the rocks, logs and I think will wear better on gravel, pavement roads, both are quality tires, have yet to have a flat on either set. They both are built on the same carcass and have stiff side walls. I run max 10 PSI in the rocks and have been known to turn the wick up. I think you could limp out of the woods with 0 PSI. It's the only tire I will run from here on out.

Reactions: TripleB and EMAW
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I probably wouldn't run 4wd on the pavement alot. Other than that it will be fine, Its not gonna make a difference on dirt.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!