P1000 Front Prop Shaft Rebuild.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Front prop shaft u-joint went out .Due to the back order of the joints I got creative and rebuilt mine. I sourced a cross so I was able to rebuild mine. The oem cross is staked into place,but a big hammer,proper punch and anvil you can just drive the old cross out .The staking gives way . Once it was all apart I put center punch marks on the shaft and the yoke's that are on the shaft. This way it's simple to put everything back together onto the shaft and keep the joints in Phase . If your not sure what keeping the joints in phase it means keeping the Yokes that are on the same shaft in line with each other . This is very important otherwise you will get a terrible vibration,jerking and noise .The new crosses are and caps are a bit longer which to me is a good thing because the caps are almost flush to the outside of the Yokes . I tack welded the caps in place once everything was put back together . I made sure to even the caps into the Yokes before tack welding them in. The new cross comes with differnt grease zerks .I used the straight ones and faced them away from the center shaft.If you face them towards the center shaft they will hit the shaft. Also once there in place on the prop shaft you can reach in from the other side { before you install the shaft] you can stick your grease gun into the end and grease them. Hope this helps anyone who is having issues in getting the joints.

IMG 6304 IMG 6309 IMG 6313 IMG 6311

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice work - how many miles are you at to have a failure at your u-joint? And what were your symptoms (just out of curiosity.)

I wonder if running tracks could be harder on your drive shaft joints? I haven't noticed any issues with mine at 15K miles.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Nice work - how many miles are you at to have a failure at your u-joint? And what were your symptoms (just out of curiosity.)

I wonder if running tracks could be harder on your drive shaft joints? I haven't noticed any issues with mine at 15K miles.
I have 29,000 Klms . The front boot was torn badly not sure how that happened, it's so well protected. The sympton was a noise like a brg going or pilling up. Once I heard the noise I had to investgate and found the torn boot along with stiffness in the joint.BTW tracks are only used when needed ,haven't had tracks on for the last two yrs .I won't run them unless absolutely need to. Slow and noisy lol

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!