P1000 Differential Oil Change Front & Rear - Honda Pioneer 1000

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly the same as I posted.
Just wanted to post the actual page with the fact that it allows you to retain the factory warrantee. Some people like to... (Oops, enough said. I promised I wouldn't poke the beast anymore).:rolleyes:

Reactions: Floridahond
F

Floridahond

May 13, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
Just wanted to post the actual page with the fact that it allows you to retain the factory warrantee. Some people like to... (Oops, enough said. I promised I wouldn't poke the beast anymore).:rolleyes:
Right on.
There is a lot of dealer discretion as to whether a claim gets approved or not. They like to blame it on Honda Kawasaki or whomever but the dealer has a lot to say about it. I had a warranty claim with Yamaha once my radiator was leaking on my grizzly but I knew it was from an impact I had about a year before. The frame was a little tweaked. I was up front with the dealer service department and said that if it's going to cost me 800 bucks to get this fixed I'd rather spend it on a new machine if warranty would cover it. Voila it was covered and I bought a new machine.

C

coleman4868

An opinion I’ve been using for quite a while when refilling diffs, in the boating section at Walmart, they have a pump that screws into the bottle just the cap. It’s used for filling the lower unit on boat motors, works really well for diffs too.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for the awesome info! I was able to do my front and rear diff service today at 1400 miles!

Reactions: monbecca and Lady01
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is the official HONDA recommendation for Differential Oil. Use Honda shaft drive oil or equivalent hypoid gear oil SAE 80-90 weight.
- Front
---- 11.5 US oz at draining
---- 16.9 US oz at disassemble
- Rear
---- 15.9 US oz at draining
---- 18.6 US oz at disassemble

That being said I personally use 75w-140 Full Synthetic oil in the differentials on both my P500 and P1000. Of note they seem to be noticeably quieter during operation. This is likely due to the properties of the oil viscosity thickening as it gets hotter there is less audible gnashing of the ring and pinion at speed.
Thank you Jackal; Always a wealth of intel. Is that 75X-140 the Lucas Product I’ve see discussed

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thank you Jackal; Always a wealth of intel. Is that 75X-140 the Lucas Product I’ve see discussed
Yes it is, I have used generic synthetic 75-140 from Walmart in a pinch, but replaced with Lucas Oil when it became available.

AndyC

AndyC

Mar 2, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry to bump an old thread but it said post below if you need help. I may have missed this in the main post, but it says in the book for 2021 to replace the O ring on the fill caps and the crush washers on the drain plugs. Does anyone have the part numbers for these or even links to them on Rocky Mountain?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sorry to bump an old thread but it said post below if you need help. I may have missed this in the main post, but it says in the book for 2021 to replace the O ring on the fill caps and the crush washers on the drain plugs. Does anyone have the part numbers for these or even links to them on Rocky Mountain?
Some of us, me included, don't replace either until they start seeping oil. My motorcycle riding career has shown that many will last the life of the vehicle. I can deal with the possibility of a tiny oil seepage, that may or may not happen, as opposed to chasing o-rings and crush washers that may last forever. IMO, YMMV, yada yada yada #oleguy :cool:

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!