Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The Pioneer 1000 differentials are pretty much similar to all other Hondas with the drain plug access through a hole in the skid plate directly on the bottom and the Front Differential Inspection cap on the front left and the Rear Differential inspection cap on the rear right of each respective differential.

Updated 3/15/18 for LE Models with larger differentials and oil capacities.

Differential Oil:
Use Honda shaft drive oil or equivalent hypoid gear oil SAE 80-90 weight.
- Front
---- 11.5 US oz at draining
--- 13.4 US oz at draining LE MODELS
---- 16.9 US oz at disassemble
- Rear
---- 15.9 US oz at draining
--- 18.6 US oz at draining LE MODELS
---- 18.6 US oz at disassemble

Tools needed are:
  • 3/8" drive ratchet
  • 17mm socket with 12" to 16" long extension for easier access. (I used two 8" extensions linked together) This is used to remove both inspection caps Front & Rear.
  • 10 mm socket with a 4" to 8" extension to remove both drain plugs Front & Rear
  • Drain pan to catch oil
  • Funnel with extended tube to reach into the differentials. I use a version of this funnel from Walmart, it lets you turn the flow on and off as well as measured calibrations on the side: FloTool Measu-Funnel, 7pc - Walmart.com

Prepare the work area and the SxS:
Locate a safe and level spot to park the SxS.
Drive the SxS long enough to warm and mix the differential fluid. Around 15 minutes of driving slowly is enough.
Drive to selected level spot.
Insure SxS is in park.
Turn off and remove key

Step 1: Locate and remove the inspection / fill cap for the Front Differential on the front divers side of the machine between the front tire and bumper.

View attachment 10728

Step 2: Locate the front differential drain plug through the skid plate access hole. place drain pan underneath drain plug and remove drain plug using 10mm socket.

View attachment 10727

Step 3: Once all oil has drained re-install the drain plug into the front differential.

Step 4: Fill the front differential with approx. 12 US oz. of 80-90 weight hypoid gear oil meeting manufacturers specifications. When full the oil should just weep from the inspection hole as shown below:

View attachment 10729

Step 5: Replace the front differential inspection / fill hole cap using the 17mm socket and extension by finger to ensure you do not cross thread the cap, they are fragile and can be broken if careless force is used. Finish tightening using the ratchet by grasping the head and twisting your wrist with minimal leverage, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the caps they can snap apart.

Step 6: Locate and remove the inspection / fill cap for the Rear Differential from behind / above the passenger side rear tire.

View attachment 10730

Step 7: Locate the rear differential drain plug through the skid plate access hole. place drain pan underneath drain plug and remove drain plug using 10mm socket.

View attachment 10727

Step 8: Once all oil has drained re-install the drain plug into the rear differential.

Step 9: Fill the rear differential with approx. 16 US oz. of 80-90 weight hypoid gear oil meeting manufacturers specifications. When full the oil should just weep from the inspection hole as shown below:
Note: I ended up adding nearly 19 oz. of oil to rear differential get it to weep out of the fill hole. I ended up using all 32 oz. for both front and rear differentials and they were not over filled.

View attachment 10729

Step 10:
Replace the rear differential inspection / fill hole cap using the 17mm socket and extension by finger to ensure you do not cross thread the cap, they are fragile and can be broken if careless force is used. Finish tightening using the ratchet by grasping the head and twisting your wrist with minimal leverage, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the caps they can snap apart.

Now you are all set and ready to hit the trail.
Good luck and be safe.

Step 11 - Posting about this guide!
If you found this guide useful please post and let us know. Not only does it show its use, it also bumps the post for other members to see and save some $$$ changing there own oil!

If you need further help please post below.
If you see a error, mistake or something out of order please let us know so it can be corrected.
Note: We make no claims of accuracy. Please refer to the service manual for official details.
THANK YOU! When I unloaded mine new, into the shop it went and I checked all fluid levels, the front diff was low and the rear was high!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey Jackal, I have a 2016 1000-5 what weight and brand of diff oil do you use?
Been using Lucas oil 75-140 synthetic in the differentials

Reactions: BigOL3
B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In Arizona would 75-140 be any good? I am a little green on my oil knowledge. Avg temps I ride in range from slightly below freezing to 110*
Thanks for your knowledge

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
In Arizona would 75-140 be any good? I am a little green on my oil knowledge. Avg temps I ride in range from slightly below freezing to 110*
Thanks for your knowledge
It will be fine for any temperature range.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Been using Lucas oil 75-140 synthetic in the differentials

Did it quiet it down any? My rear diff is NOISY!!! Anyone using anything in particular that has reduced the whine?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Did it quiet it down any? My rear diff is NOISY!!! Anyone using anything in particular that has reduced the whine?
Synthetic oil and miles will quiet down the differentials. The style of gear cut Honda uses is noisier, but more durable.

Reactions: Enigma
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Synthetic oil and miles will quiet down the differentials. The style of gear cut Honda uses is noisier, but more durable.

Any particular brand that works better than others? Or an additive perhaps? I have over 4000 miles on it.

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Jackal! I went ahead and changed my Diff oils today. They were pretty clean, but figured WTH I am bored during this shenanigans. I decided to try Royal Purple 75w-140. This definitely quieted down my ride. It actually has a completely different sound now when I ride. The high pitch whine is gone. Great "upgrade" Thanks again.

Reactions: Enigma
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not sure about the Honda diffs but I have been using Royal Purple in my Honda Accord and not only does it help with engine nose but also increases the MPG by a few MPGs. I think it has increased lubricity over other motor oils.

Reactions: russknight
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A little surprised---I'd swear the drive train is a little quieter after changing front and rear drives to Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-110. Only 800 miles on it, but it was manufactured over two years ago, so I changed the fluids. Drained oil had the gold metallic look we've all seen pics of here. Doesn't impact the high pitched engine whir, but that has quieted down with time. Of course, my truck runs quieter/better after an oil change, too . . heh, heh. Go away, stay at home order. I need to ride.

Reactions: Mudwing
helimech

helimech

Feb 11, 2014
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Amsoil is miracle juice, i started using it 40 years ago in my 185s and it made a noticable difference.
Been hooked on it ever scince

Reactions: Travis R
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
What is the capacity of the front and rear diffs combined?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!