Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thank you!
Add several ounces to compensate for what you will inevitably spill when trying to fill them. I wasted quite a bit. The ring gear is very close to the fill hole and it's hard to get a hose or funnel in there. A small hose and going really slow could prevent waste.

Reactions: Raynman
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Add several ounces to compensate for what you will inevitably spill when trying to fill them. I wasted quite a bit. The ring gear is very close to the fill hole and it's hard to get a hose or funnel in there. A small hose and going really slow could prevent waste.
E91d56b1 2c95 49fb 9c4d 1466306169c8 195f19f8ee32a16cae2d6efdf7a1b8fcb

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I second this motion. PITA to fill the drives, both front and rear.. Go slow to go faster. Use small tube that will flow to avoid oil bouncing off the gear and back out the fill port . . . and onto the skids to make a mess.

Reactions: Enigma and ehart814
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
H

HondaTech

We fill diffs with these.

Download 5

200cc Fluid Syringe, can be bought numerous places and Amazon.

I've been contemplating one for sub trans fill on Talons as well.

As far as what to run in there. I've seen old 300 atvs with nothing but mud and water in the diffs and the ring/pinion still weren't missing teeth. Differentials usually fail when a bearing goes bad and even then you couldn't tell until the diff gets taken apart.

As long as you've got some type of gear oil in there and it gets changed every once in awhile it'll be OK. If you run it deep water then check the oil frequently. Water intrusion is the killer.

Last edited:
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used 75w140 valvoline synthetic in the rear this time. It’s amazing how much quieter the rear diff is with heavier oil!

Reactions: Smitty335
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used 75w140 valvoline synthetic in the rear this time. It’s amazing how much quieter the rear diff is with heavier oil!
I will add.... I already knew it would, bc my 700 and 500 were the same way after I switched to the 140... But, after I blew out a rear seal on the p500 diff when I installed bellows, it sucked in sand and water and ruined the diff... Sounded kind of like a choo choo train after that! LoL...

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I decided to put some Lucas stabilizer in and this setup made it easy to suck out a couple ounces of and refill. Didn't loose a drop.
Just a 100cc syringe and some poly tube.
View attachment 20816
I use the exact same thing, it's also used to suck the gas out of my pressure washer before winter storage.

Reactions: Smitty335
Elvis8310

Elvis8310

Jan 2, 2021
Edmond, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure about the weight but it says GL-5 on that bag and the Talon manual specs GL-5.
AMSOIL Synthetic ATV/UTV Transmission & Differential Fluid has the physical properties of a 75W-90 gear lube. This product is an API GL-5 quality gear lube for use in differentials and transmissions. It is recommended for use in Honda, Kawasaki, John Deer, Kubota, Suzuki, Arctic Cat, Yamaha, and any other ATV or UTV calling for a GL-5 type differential and transmission fluid. It is also recommended for use in Polaris ATVs and UTVs that call for AGL or Angle Drive.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!