Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
what research lead u to come up with the decision to run that weight rather than what was recommended? Im sure u have a good reason could u share what got u to that conclusion.

43 years of riding and servicing Hondas that I have owned was my research. Don't need to overthink a lot of this stuff, but experience has taught me the synthetic 75-w140 oil for differentials make them run quieter. Doesn't matter what brand, I used O'Reilly's gear synthetic oil in the differentials for many years no issues.

MasterPro Chemicals 80055 - Synthetic Gear Oil | O'Reilly Auto Parts

B

bigbruse

Jun 28, 2016
va
Ownership

1. 700-4
can I change it now I have 200 miles on my pioneer ?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
can I change it now I have 200 miles on my pioneer ?

Probably not a bad idea if it hasn't been done before. If you use a heavier oil, it will get quieter.

Please note, it is not time to change the oil according to Honda. You would be doing no damage leaving it in there for another year and a half if the oil doesn't get water in it.

B

bigbruse

Jun 28, 2016
va
Ownership

1. 700-4
thank you! I use my pioneer 700-4 as mostly like a golf cart around town we can ride on road, so some days we ride for hours and looking for what is best for the differentials and quieting them down a bit will be a plus.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Can someone tell me how you get the oil in the front diff with the way these diff oil bottles are shaped. I mean I go to put the spout in the fill hole, and it looks like you can't tilt the bottle enough to make it work. Do I need a small hand pump?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Can someone tell me how you get the oil in the front diff with the way these diff oil bottles are shaped. I mean I go to put the spout in the fill hole, and it looks like you can't tilt the bottle enough to make it work. Do I need a small hand pump?
Lol...
I have a pvc pipe in the shop I use. On the trail we have used paper towel roll tube and even cardboard and paper to make a tube or shoot.

Reactions: monbecca
D

Dasmoeturhead

I'm pretty sure my old atf funnel will work. I haven't drained the diff's yet, just making sure I'm ready when the time comes. The rear looks pretty easy with the bed up.

Reactions: Hondasxs and sharp
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
And even then it was awkward

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm pretty sure my old atf funnel will work. I haven't drained the diff's yet, just making sure I'm ready when the time comes. The rear looks pretty easy with the bed up.
I have a link to a funnel sold at Walmart that has an 18" flexible tube that easily reaches the difference, sub transmission, and engine fill holes. See post 1

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I decided to put some Lucas stabilizer in and this setup made it easy to suck out a couple ounces of and refill. Didn't loose a drop.
Just a 100cc syringe and some poly tube.
IMG 3139

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just changed the rear end oil in my P1000 at about 500 miles, the oil looked like the pic ghost posted, no surprise there I've seen it before. I had some left over Amsoil 75w90 that I used, and it defiantly took more than 15.9 oz. I would like to try 75w140 to quiet it down, but I'm a little hesitant living in Maine, and I plan on using the machine ice fishing. So I'm not sure if the heavier weight oil would cause problems in the winter. Any thoughts on that ?

Reactions: Smitty335
lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would like to try 75w140 to quiet it down, but I'm a little hesitant living in Maine, and I plan on using the machine ice fishing. So I'm not sure if the heavier weight oil would cause problems in the winter. Any thoughts on that ?
Was reading up on the diff change procedure and noticed that you never received a response to your question.

The "W" designation of 75 is the Winter designation (as measured at 0°), so it actually has less viscosity in cold weather than the factory designated 80W. The upper viscosity designation of "140" is viscosity as measured @ 212°.

J

jwit777

Oct 19, 2017
Nashua, NH
Ownership

1. 500
I have a pioneer 500 but it looks like the same process. It mentions an O-ring that should be changed with the service. Does anyone have a part number for that?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Again, Thanks to @JACKAL for providing another wonderful how-to guide.
@Hondasxs was doing my full initial service on my 2018 LE. Noticed differentials front and rear were noticeably larger than my 2016 1000-5 Deluxe. Sure enough owners manual for my LE called for greater oil capacities at draining. Updated giude above today noting LE model capacities in bold red.

FYI.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!