P500 Difficulty of Torq Locker Install ??

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
For those who Have installed them ,I am wanting to buy and Put a Torq Locker in my 2021 Pioneer 500 but I am not a Mechanic.

I do have tools but the most intensive Mechanical job I have done is to change a 1999 ford ranger from Pushbutton 4wd to Warne Lock in Hubs.

Is this something that can be done with good instructions(assuming that they come with good instructions) without being a Honda Mechanic ?

I am 61 and retired so I am not in a Hurry,even if it took me a week to get it done and done right.

Just don't want to do anything to mess up this rig as I like it !

Thanks

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I'm not really a mechanic myself, done oil changes, swapped out a starter or alternator here and there. Nothing crazy intensive. Instructions for the Torq locker a nice and easy to follow, there's some youtube vids too. I watched them twice, following along with the instructions knowing I'd get halfway through something and didn't want to wash the oil/crud off my hands to go back inside to look something up later on.

My biggest suggestion, make sure you have a *good quality* pin punch before you get started. I forgot what size it was (pretty sure its listed in the instructions somewhere), but I bent 2 cheap ones *cough*Harbor Freight*cough* before I went out and got a good one. After that it took all of 2 seconds to knock the pin out and finish the dismantling.

Other "gotchas" including: get it up on ramps or good jackstands or something to get the front end off the ground a bit. crawling under it to unhook the 4wd cabling to the front diff was kind of a pain because I didn't have enough room.
You can take off the driver's side front wheel/shock and pop that side out of the diff, then pull the diff to the driver's side to pop it out of the pass-side axle, then pop it straight out forward, instead of taking off both front wheels/shocks etc.

Also, it's nice to have a helper if possible some of that stuff can get a little heavy when you're trying to juggle 3 things and wiggle stuff back and forth to get it all apart and back together.
After that, taking the differential apart and swapping in the Torq locker is actually the easiest part of the whole operation.

Snek

Snek

“Member” huh huh
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2021
Saint Augustine FL
Ownership

1. 500
Doing mine on Monday. Decent step-by-step on YouTube by Appalachian Mountain Riders, plus the instructions with the kit are pretty thorough. Also not a gear head myself, so wish me luck as I wish you the best of luck also 😂
If I remember I’ll throw a follow-up on this thread for better or for worse on Tuesday or so 👍

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Doing mine on Monday. Decent step-by-step on YouTube by Appalachian Mountain Riders, plus the instructions with the kit are pretty thorough. Also not a gear head myself, so wish me luck as I wish you the best of luck also 😂
If I remember I’ll throw a follow-up on this thread for better or for worse on Tuesday or so 👍
Only comment about the AMR video is to not unscrew the 4wd sensor from the diff as shown. The wire just pops off, no wrench required.

Snek

Snek

“Member” huh huh
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2021
Saint Augustine FL
Ownership

1. 500
Ok so I knocked out most of this install today (still got some stuff to put together, and gotta add diff fluid) but overall not a complicated or difficult experience by any stretch. Went step by step with the AMR video, with occasional references to the paper instructions included with the Torq Locker. Mostly lots of wrench turning and wrestling heavy stuff out and back into place

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
For those who Have installed them ,I am wanting to buy and Put a Torq Locker in my 2021 Pioneer 500 but I am not a Mechanic.

I do have tools but the most intensive Mechanical job I have done is to change a 1999 ford ranger from Pushbutton 4wd to Warne Lock in Hubs.

Is this something that can be done with good instructions(assuming that they come with good instructions) without being a Honda Mechanic ?

I am 61 and retired so I am not in a Hurry,even if it took me a week to get it done and done right.

Just don't want to do anything to mess up this rig as I like it !

Thanks
I am going to tell you if I can do it ... You can! I said it before and I will say it again.. I am a desk-sitting, paper-pushing, stubborn female… who had to be taught how to place the wrench in order to loosen a bolt before starting to install the Torq Locker. I did have some help from another member who is local to me assisting with the heavy lifting. It took some patience, but It was a great sense of accomplishment when I had it completed.

I think the key is take your time, don’t rush… Do research here and on youtube. Ask questions. Try to lay everything you need out before starting… and just get started. Plus these guys here in the forum will answer a question double-quick if you get to a place you are confused, so stop and ask. Good luck, you got this.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!