BRed Dirty Oil & Milky differintial gear oil:-(

gnedinok

gnedinok

Oct 5, 2016
Wellston, OK
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Big Red
I just purchased a 2009 BR last weekend (10-1-2016). I keep a good supply of oil on hand and the oil in the BR was not pretty, not having an oil filter on hand decided to change the oil only and pick up a filter this week and do it again later (wanted to drive and play a bit). When I drained the oil today It was really DARK (black). Figure I drove it 40 or so miles on the oil only change. No idea as to the total miles or hours on this machine as it has no meter or odometer. Seller said it was low miles. Overall it looks and drives good.
I also changed the front and read differential gear oil. the rear looked just fine but front was milky:-( I looked at both front and rear and can see there is a 1/4' OD breather tube that runs up to separate places on the frame. my guess is that the front breather tube is either compromised or it had been submerged at one time or another. Still have to have a closer look that front breather tube! Any ideas on these matters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! G

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I would change the front breather tube and run it up at least as high as the seat. Or if you snorkel the machine you can run the vents right into the snorkel tube.

It's too bad there's no hour meter. I'd consider adjusting the valves and changing oil at least another time before getting too worried about the black oil. Good luck with your ride!

gnedinok

gnedinok

Oct 5, 2016
Wellston, OK
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Big Red
I would change the front breather tube and run it up at least as high as the seat. Or if you snorkel the machine you can run the vents right into the snorkel tube.

It's too bad there's no hour meter. I'd consider adjusting the valves and changing oil at least another time before getting too worried about the black oil. Good luck with your ride!
Yea T, I'm thinking since this thing has a torque converter it will take at least one more oil change . . . maybe 2. New breather tubes front & back for sure! Thanks for the input, G

Reactions: Tflynn