P1000 Disappointed New Pioneer Owner

CKaufmann

CKaufmann

Mar 9, 2019
Davenport, IA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update: After the service dept at my local Honda dealership (not the one I purchased it from) put on about 30 miles they were finally able to replicate the problems I was experiencing. It was finally determined there was a bad connection in the charging system. Where exactly, I am not sure... I was too busy arguing a $74 bill. They explained that they have never experienced this particular problem nor had their Honda rep heard of this. It will be another couple weeks before I'm able to take it out and put it to the test.

Side note, the dealership I purchased it from, World of Power Sports Peoria, IL, offered to come get the machine and bring it back to their service dept. They are an hour and a half away from me. Thats either really good service or they get paid really well on warranty work. Either way, I thought that was a nice gesture if anyone of you are considering their dealership.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad to see the dealer fixed it but a more efficient light bar set up is still a good idea. Having more battery won't fix the fact that you electronics draw more than the machine puts out. I agree that a smaller more efficient light bar might save you some headaches. I like my Rough Country lights.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
What exactly, is the output amps of the alternator / charging coil?

H

HondaTech

Update: After the service dept at my local Honda dealership (not the one I purchased it from) put on about 30 miles they were finally able to replicate the problems I was experiencing. It was finally determined there was a bad connection in the charging system. Where exactly, I am not sure... I was too busy arguing a $74 bill. They explained that they have never experienced this particular problem nor had their Honda rep heard of this. It will be another couple weeks before I'm able to take it out and put it to the test.

Side note, the dealership I purchased it from, World of Power Sports Peoria, IL, offered to come get the machine and bring it back to their service dept. They are an hour and a half away from me. Thats either really good service or they get paid really well on warranty work. Either way, I thought that was a nice gesture if anyone of you are considering their dealership.

Any problem that existed from the factory should never cost the customer. The minute they tried to charge me, I would be on the phone with Honda figuring out why.

Most likely the regulator/rectifier or stator plug was not connected fully. I've seen both, takes a while for the machine to drain the battery without it being recharged.

O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
I bought from world of powersports, they used to have a store in bloomington. Got a pretty good deal,haven't used there service dept. Parts guy in peoria is good.

E

Elkmobile

Aug 13, 2018
Northern Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got to be in the linkage.
They will start in gear, if your foot is on the brake. They do have several interlocks, like the seat belt must be latched or it phases back & wont go over 7 mph.

E

Elkmobile

Aug 13, 2018
Northern Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Purchased a 2018 Pioneer 1000 5 about three weeks ago. Its been sitting in my garage ever since while I installed a roof, windshield and mounted a couple lights (haven’t wired anything at this point, just mounted them). Today was finally nice enough to get it out so I drove it on to my trailer and headed about an hour north to play around with it at some land we own. Just before loading it on the trailer it started rather cold. Turned over more times than I thought it should but, it had been three weeks since my demo at the dealership so I didn’t think anything of it. Got to the land, backed it off the trailer and let it idle while I loaded the back with some gear. Drove it in turf mode with out the seatbelt for a good 500’. Stopped the vehicle at my destination, let it idle very rough and then it just died. Tried to start it again and it turned over very sluggishly. Tried for about three more times before I realized that the battery was not going to get the job done. Buddy of mine had a jump pack so hooked it up, started right up… Great, good to go (but clearly worried in the back of my mind as that should not happen on a brand new UTV with 2 miles on it). Put it in gear and died immediately before even getting to reverse. Again and again this happened. It would start but only with the jump pack and then immediately die when I go to put it in gear. Finally had the idea to start it in Neutral and then put it in drive which did the trick. Let it run for a minute and then took off in turf mode again. Drove it a good half a mile down a gravel road and it seemed to run fine, hitting speeds near 40 mph. Came to a stop sign, let it idle in high gear while I adjusted the windshield and it dies. Just dies. Never got it to start again. Had to go retrieve my truck and trailer and push the effing thing back onto the trailer where it currently sits. Pretty frustrated at this point. Could it be battery, shift linkage or other? One thing I want to add is that I noticed a time or two that the gear would not engage when I put it into the appropriate gear. For example, from park to reverse, it would not engage until I moved the shift lever back to park and then to reverse again. Or park to reverse (nothing) to neutral and back to reverse in order for it to work in reverse. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

View attachment 117166
Dealer prep is lousy at best. I had to go over mine from stem to stern when it was 1 week old just tightening up nuts & bolts. Everything they touched in dealer prep was loose. But I now have 2200 miles on it, most of them in the high country on roads & going through brush you couldn't walk through. It is by far the best mountain goat I have ever ridden in!

Reactions: Plowboy1466
R

Rcy

Nov 19, 2021
Sc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Purchased a 2018 Pioneer 1000 5 about three weeks ago. Its been sitting in my garage ever since while I installed a roof, windshield and mounted a couple lights (haven’t wired anything at this point, just mounted them). Today was finally nice enough to get it out so I drove it on to my trailer and headed about an hour north to play around with it at some land we own. Just before loading it on the trailer it started rather cold. Turned over more times than I thought it should but, it had been three weeks since my demo at the dealership so I didn’t think anything of it. Got to the land, backed it off the trailer and let it idle while I loaded the back with some gear. Drove it in turf mode with out the seatbelt for a good 500’. Stopped the vehicle at my destination, let it idle very rough and then it just died. Tried to start it again and it turned over very sluggishly. Tried for about three more times before I realized that the battery was not going to get the job done. Buddy of mine had a jump pack so hooked it up, started right up… Great, good to go (but clearly worried in the back of my mind as that should not happen on a brand new UTV with 2 miles on it). Put it in gear and died immediately before even getting to reverse. Again and again this happened. It would start but only with the jump pack and then immediately die when I go to put it in gear. Finally had the idea to start it in Neutral and then put it in drive which did the trick. Let it run for a minute and then took off in turf mode again. Drove it a good half a mile down a gravel road and it seemed to run fine, hitting speeds near 40 mph. Came to a stop sign, let it idle in high gear while I adjusted the windshield and it dies. Just dies. Never got it to start again. Had to go retrieve my truck and trailer and push the effing thing back onto the trailer where it currently sits. Pretty frustrated at this point. Could it be battery, shift linkage or other? One thing I want to add is that I noticed a time or two that the gear would not engage when I put it into the appropriate gear. For example, from park to reverse, it would not engage until I moved the shift lever back to park and then to reverse again. Or park to reverse (nothing) to neutral and back to reverse in order for it to work in reverse. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

View attachment 117166
I’m new to this game and only moderately knowledgeable but this Sounds like the gear shift control motor and sensor. I had similar problem when I bought a 2016. When it stopped and wouldn’t start I found that if I shifted to neutral it would start then I shifted to drive it would drive normally for a while. Thing is full of sensors, very technical.
The big issue here is that once you have been stranded you are always leary of it happening again.

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!