P1000 Do I need a second battery?

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So I've seen that a lot of you are opting for a dual battery setup. I haven't quite figured out why. Is the stock battery really that weak? I will say right off the bat mine seemed a bit sluggish starting. I'll know more when I get it back.

Also I plan to install about 25 amps in accessories. Rarely running everything at the same time. Would this be enough to drain the stock battery?

I'd like to hear opinions and reasons behind the investment into the dual battery setup.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You will be able to use your winch for very long with the stock battery.

If you don't run the radio or lights for a very long with the key off then you should be fine.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
One other thing, you could carry one of those lithium jump packs just in case your vehicle ever died.

I carry one of these and I have used several times on a Kubota diesel tractor. It works very good.

I'm actually considering removing my dual battery set up and putting one battery under the seat to lower the center of gravity since I always carry this jump Pack. It would also get some weight off the front of my vehicle as it is already nose heavy

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
One other thing, you could carry one of those lithium jump packs just in case your vehicle ever died.

I carry one of these and I have used several times on a Kubota diesel tractor. It works very good.

I'm actually considering removing my dual battery set up and putting one battery under the seat to lower the center of gravity since I always carry this jump Pack. It would also get some weight off the front of my vehicle as it is already nose heavy

Wow I hadn't looked into those in years. They're so small and cheap! That will definitely put my mind at ease. Thanks.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Ordered a Optima Yellow and mount just a few hours ago to do just that. Price for all the bits and pieces for two batteries, was about the same as one big one located lower.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So you can run all your accessories as long as you want and not worry about a dead start battery.....
As long as you have it hooked up right.

Well I don't really use anything without the engine running so it looks like I'm probably ok.

Reactions: sharp
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run 2 light bars, soundbar. Winch and reverse lights. While plowing running the Winch. Sometimes a couple of hrs. Stock battery. I'll hook it up the trickle charger and it's full green in 15 min.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I run 2 light bars, soundbar. Winch and reverse lights. While plowing running the Winch. Sometimes a couple of hrs. Stock battery. I'll hook it up the trickle charger and it's full green in 15 min.

Thanks that adds confidence.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Again, the dual battery set up with an isolator gives you a peace of mind when your hours from camp knowing that you're not drain you're starting battery.

It will also make your winch pull a lot harder because you'll have less voltage drop and you'll be able to use your winch for longer durations.

If those two things are important for you, then I would suggest carrying a lithium jump pack and not worry about it.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you neeeeed to??? No. but are any of doing this s*** because we neeeeeed to????? :rolleyes:

I feel like I do, I drained the factory battery on my 700 winching, so bad it would not hold a charge.

It's a "starting" battery, yellowtop is a deep cycle. Once I had my yellowtop not only was the three times the energy storage. I could drain that storage more and not worry about it.

Winching hard draws upwards of 200amps
Alternator on 700 put out around 35 amps, there's a deficit there.

All the lights on, on my 700 overdraw the electrical system. The yellowtop "buffered"that.

J

JTW

I feel like I do, I drained the factory battery on my 700 winching, so bad it would not hold a charge.

It's a "starting" battery, yellowtop is a deep cycle. Once I had my yellowtop not only was the three times the energy storage. I could drain that storage more and not worry about it.

Winching hard draws upwards of 200amps
Alternator on 700 put out around 35 amps, there's a deficit there.

All the lights on, on my 700 overdraw the electrical system. The yellowtop "buffered"that.
I used a come a long as a kid... we didn't have winches. And school was up hill both ways!!

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda dealer is saying that low voltage will cause clutch to slip and damage it. Like say you use your winch and drain battery down or have a lot of assories running at night.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Honda dealer is saying that low voltage will cause clutch to slip and damage it. Like say you use your winch and drain battery down or have a lot of assories running at night.

How is that possible?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I never leave home without my jumpbox (unlike my chainsaw lol). It also has an air compressor which might come in handy. I may upgrade to a bigger battery under the seat as Joey suggested.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
I'm in process of finishing my dual battery setup. Have had a couple of occasions when winching hard and the machine will shut off. Would rather not get stuck somewhere with a dead battery for a relatively cheap and simple mod...

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!