P1000 Do I need a second battery?

T

TitleTownRider

Jan 30, 2019
Tuscaloosa Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys, been reading thes posts for a while. I just got a 2016 Pioneer 1000-3. Only accessory I have is a 12in light bar on the front. I bought a soundbar to have some music when I ride. I’m not going to be be winching or mudding and stuff. Only really ride around hunting property and stuff like that. Do I need a dual battery to run both? Not gonna have either on without the machine running for more than 30 min I’d say at most

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, been reading thes posts for a while. I just got a 2016 Pioneer 1000-3. Only accessory I have is a 12in light bar on the front. I bought a soundbar to have some music when I ride. I’m not going to be be winching or mudding and stuff. Only really ride around hunting property and stuff like that. Do I need a dual battery to run both? Not gonna have either on without the machine running for more than 30 min I’d say at most
For that a dual battery isnt necessary. I ran alot of stuff on the single battery for a long time. But it is a good idea to carry a jump box of some sort.

Reactions: JTW
Jensenj71

Jensenj71

Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just finished adding 2nd battery with True isolator to keep the winch load from dragging down the primary system voltage.

I think it all depends on what you intend to do with your sxs. If you are just worried about a dead battery then a jump pack could be a solid option with multiple other uses. Lights, radio and light continuous or heavy brief winching with the engine running shouldn't cause problems.

If you always ride with others then walking out is less of a concern. With the addition of the 1000-5 I will likely be 5-10 miles from base camp with 2-4 people in 1 sxs rather than 2-3 atvs. This makes me 100% dependent on the sxs to get everyone back to camp.

If you expect to be able to use the winch aggressively I think a 2nd battery with isolation is the best solution. I don't want to get into the primary electrical system if I end up driving and winching my sxs out of a ditch in a blizzard with an elk loaded on it. I want the ECM and transmission to get the voltage needed.

I think the larger battery under the seat is a good option if the sxs is used for work. I think having an inverter connected to a battery under the seat to charge cordless batteries or run 120v tools would be handy. I have a portable generator that meets these needs for me so I just went with the smaller 2nd battery under the hood.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One other thing, you could carry one of those lithium jump packs just in case your vehicle ever died.

I carry one of these and I have used several times on a Kubota diesel tractor. It works very good.

I'm actually considering removing my dual battery set up and putting one battery under the seat to lower the center of gravity since I always carry this jump Pack. It would also get some weight off the front of my vehicle as it is already nose heavy
X2 on the lithium jump pack I don’t have many accessories other than the winch.I just put the lithium pack under the hood .Great peace of mind in the middle of nowhere

Reactions: JTW and joeymt33

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!