Does anyone offer an alternator upgrade kit

S

Slash2008

Jan 3, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I found ZRP Fab that makes really nice looking alternator upgrade kits for the canam X3 and the Polaris Razor, but not the Honda Talon yet. I have the dual battery kit installed, but I can only use my lightbar for about 20 minutes at most before it just shuts off. This is after I have left my front battery on a charger all night.

2020 honda talon 1000x4 live valve

Heretic light bar
Rock lights
Whips
Wet sounds sound bars (2)
Rigid reverse lights
Heated front seats
IMG 20200911 154030 947

volkspower

volkspower

Feb 28, 2017
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X
You may have some other problem. I doubt your light bar is draining the battery that fast (and the charging system not be able to keep up). How many amps is it drawing?

Reactions: TripleB
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Talon already has a pretty high output alternator (700 watts). Just poking around Heretic's website, it looks like the highest drawing light bar they offer draws about 350 watts. The engine/electronics and fuel pump draw about 150, headlights another 150 so there is a little left over. Even if you are drawing more than 700 watts, it can't be by much. A good U1 auxiliary battery has at least 30 Ah so it should run that light for at over an hour without any help from the alternator.

Also, you really have 2 batteries and the stock one is probably around 20 Ah (for a total of 50+ ah) so even if you are drawing 1000 watts, you are 300 negative. That equates to 22 amps so you should be able to run that much negative draw for 2.5 hours before your battery isolator stops charging the second battery.

I agree with @volkspower, something else may be wrong.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
How much do the heated seats draw? That could be a decent draw too if everything was turned on at the same time.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heated seats draw alot of amps, thats prob majority of your prob take it too a local mech shop with a good test machine they can tell u exactly what acc is drawing how many amps.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Seat heaters draw between 30 to 50 watts (2 to 4 amps) each. Still not enough to cause the battery to go dead in 20 minutes.

OP...
Turn everything off. Rev and hold 5000 RPM for 20 seconds. What is the voltage at each battery?

Now turn on the light bar. Rev and hold 5000 RPM for 20 seconds. What is the voltage at each battery?

Reactions: CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Any extra good car batteries kicking around? If so, fully charge the battery and then hook your positive and negative from the light bar to this battery. Turn on the light and see how long it stays on before it shuts off. When it does, check the voltage in the battery it is connected to. I suspect its the light bar itself is the problem, that is if your battery tests good and is not junk either.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you or someone else really does need an alternator upgrade, talk to Jamie at Raceco USA. He had a mini automotive racing style alternator mounted on his Baja 1000 winning Talon. I only saw a couple FB pics but it looks like he made a custom bracket and has it bolted on the right side of the frame/engine mount and its run by belt off a custom pulley that mounts to the shaft between the rear diff and subtrans. Looked like a slick setup.

H

HondaTech

If you or someone else really does need an alternator upgrade, talk to Jamie at Raceco USA. He had a mini automotive racing style alternator mounted on his Baja 1000 winning Talon. I only saw a couple FB pics but it looks like he made a custom bracket and has it bolted on the right side of the frame/engine mount and its run by belt off a custom pulley that mounts to the shaft between the rear diff and subtrans. Looked like a slick setup.

I like the idea, but its not outputting anything unless the machine is physically moving. Probably good for high speed Baja stuff, but anything else would be pretty much useless.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!