Does anyone on here do hotshot trucking?

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you all for your replies! I have seen the adapters and they seem OK. If I was choosing my own hitch system after some research I would probably go with an underbed style 5th wheel hitch with gooseneck ball adapter. Both trucks I currently own have a gooseneck ball. One truck has a b and w bolted install flip over ball. The other truck is a total solid weld in install. I just acquired a free new curt 5th wheel hitch. I just need rails. I was hoping I could install rails around the gooseneck ball. I just can't find anyone online doing this.

Reactions: Biteme and Smittyp
L

Lloydtheredneck

Sep 14, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i have been in trucking for 15 years. now is the wrong time to go do hotshot. the rates are terrible and the guys doing it already are hungry and willing to turn the wheels at a loss just to keep moving. theres a ton of money in trucking, if you understand it. its shady as hell and lies are truths. im all for running independent but with equipment prices where they are along with fuel you wont get ahead. get your cdl and drive local for a while see if its for you. local work home everynight is 25-35/hr, otr anywhere from .40-.89/mi . percentages and gross and all that is just another way to get screwed. with bonuses my guys average 90k+ / yr in the otr world. sorry to rain on your hopes. just hate to see another person get sucked into this expensive education course.

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Watched a video not long ago where a guy who was trying that out disclosed all his numbers. He thought he was making good money. Except he didn’t include any allowance for depreciation on his truck that he ran up a bunch of miles on in a few months. By my math all he did was work for free and basically taking cash out of the equity in his truck.

Before I retired I ran a sizable business so I know what a budget and P&L looks like. And all the ways to fudge the numbers when someone is trying to rationalize a goal.

I‘m also quite familiar with trucks and a 2500 with a Cummins won’t have much net weight capacity left. Most hotshots are running 3500 and up for a reason.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!