Reactions: TxDoc
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
To stop tearing up gravel? In my case the denalli pro
There has been other posts about this. Some people are using horse stall mat from tractor supply.

Reactions: TxDoc
Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe, but the best way is to not plow.
I live on a gravel road and have gravel driveways.
I do not plow the first few snows.
Drive all over your plow area and just pack it down.
This gets a good ice layer on top.
By doing it this way, I do not worry about the gravel or the grass.
My plow area
Snow plow area

Have a good day

Last edited:
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've both bolted and welded on schedule 80 PVC or Steel pipe over the plow or blade edge, to keep guys from dozing the surfacing off roads. Training wheels.. don't cut all the snow off is key, build up some snow pack. Was part of my job a long time ago.
Best

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I usually set my skids a little higher until things freeze up. But I always keep the cutting edge 5/16 or so off the driveway with the skids. Very rarely have piles of gravel in the yard unless things haven't froze and I get careless.

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
My driveway is about 250 yards of gravel and then 40’x60’ of cement in front of the garage. What I struggle with is finding the perfect setting to cleanly plow the cement but not tear up the gravel.

H

hadleycat

Oct 15, 2020
Metamora MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My pvc pipe broke every time I used it on my gravel drive that is about 75' long. I gave up on it and just lower the shoes on my plow now.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My pvc pipe broke every time I used it on my gravel drive that is about 75' long. I gave up on it and just lower the shoes on my plow now.
That's not surprising, we use a steel pipe with a slit to fit over the cutting edge, have tabs welded on the ends so it can be bolted to the plow.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a couple of wooden drags (one is 2x6" by 4ft the other 2x6" by 8ft) that I pull to level and set the snow. Once I get a good base set I use my plow to clear the snow away.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought for a test I would just tack weld a piece of 2 3/8" oil pipe on my cutting edge and see how it worked. I liked it so much that I never took it off and just removed my skids completely. Like stated above, it leaves a little layer of snow on the ground that eventually will freeze over and allow the gravel to be covered. We push our snow as far as we can in our yard when we can. One disadvantage of leaving this layer of snow/ice on the drive is it takes mine about an extra week to thaw out in the spring compared to my buddies with the stock setup. On a side note, it probably takes him over a week raking up the gravel from his yard so I figure it is a win.

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I thought for a test I would just tack weld a piece of 2 3/8" oil pipe on my cutting edge and see how it worked. I liked it so much that I never took it off and just removed my skids completely. Like stated above, it leaves a little layer of snow on the ground that eventually will freeze over and allow the gravel to be covered. We push our snow as far as we can in our yard when we can. One disadvantage of leaving this layer of snow/ice on the drive is it takes mine about an extra week to thaw out in the spring compared to my buddies with the stock setup. On a side note, it probably takes him over a week raking up the gravel from his yard so I figure it is a win.
Would you mind sharing a pic of this?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I switched my plow to 1/2" UHMW last year and it catches a lot less, cleans concrete better and it is way quieter. I try not to plow grass so I don't have a good opinion on that

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!