P1000 Dome light wiring question

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello, I am looking to add a dome light and/or bed light to my 23 P1k5 trail. It has the factory courtesy light already below the seat in the floor. I have some existing lights that I was going to try to use and if I use one in the cab and one in the bed, they are rated at 2.5 amp each. Beyond seeing that some of those factory extra switches are only rated at 3 amp, I can't find anything that states what that existing courtesy light circuit is actually rated at if I were to tap into that for at least inside cab dome light. I could put the bed light on another circuit with the extra factory switch if need be. Does anyone know if this will work?

Also here is the pic so that it can happen

20230509 162507

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Where did you get the 2.5 amp each rating from?
That's a lot for some small dome lights.
Our 6" backup lights only pull 1.5 amps each.

Break out your multi meter and test them.

I would have no concerns about adding in a LED strip as you find at Walmart in the automotive section.
I doubt those pull 1/2 an amp. Most likely less.

Reactions: Rayger143
D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is because they are not a dome light. These are a 2 pack of driving/fog lights that I got from someone for free who was clearing out a warehouse and have a several new sets of, the pair is rated at 5 amps together. I used a set of these as backup lights with my camera and they are not very bright. Better than nothing but not by much. Thought they might be good enough for a dome light. Spent all my fun money getting the p1k5, so trying to use what I got as long as it won't cause problems. But if it would cause issues I won't.

Reactions: Smitty335
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Adding 5 amps to the factory courtesy light circuit is little much.
also, the switches, as said, are only rated for 3 amps.

If your getting the rating off the box I would still put a multi-meter to them.
Almost all LED lights are over rated by 50% or better.

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So put bench wired them to a battery and tested with a multi meter and both lights on only drew .58 amp. So should be good. Was also a good learning experience as I had never checked amps like that before so had to learn how to do it! Thanks all!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
So put bench wired them to a battery and tested with a multi meter and both lights on only drew .58 amp. So should be good. Was also a good learning experience as I had never checked amps like that before so had to learn how to do it! Thanks all!
I was gonna say ... I just installed a 4" 200 CFM bilge fan under the seat and it only drew ~2.1A @ 12V. No way those lights are pulling 2.5A each.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
COOL BEANS. 🫘
I think you will be ok.

Jas sxs

Jas sxs

Oct 15, 2021
rankin county ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello, I am looking to add a dome light and/or bed light to my 23 P1k5 trail. It has the factory courtesy light already below the seat in the floor. I have some existing lights that I was going to try to use and if I use one in the cab and one in the bed, they are rated at 2.5 amp each. Beyond seeing that some of those factory extra switches are only rated at 3 amp, I can't find anything that states what that existing courtesy light circuit is actually rated at if I were to tap into that for at least inside cab dome light. I could put the bed light on another circuit with the extra factory switch if need be. Does anyone know if this will work?

Also here is the pic so that it can happen

View attachment 388885
go to piney life you tube channel and look at his dome light setup i did the same thing its been on mine for 3 years pressure washing and all holds up perfect it has about 8 colors built in 30 dollars on amazon

Reactions: meanmachine19

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!