P1000 Driving along & just DIES! (HELP)

J

Jimbo

Apr 20, 2016
St.Johnsville
I'am at 770 miles, I will be going along down the trail & the machine just dies on me with no dash light indication that something is wrong? then it will start back up but if u put in forward & touch the gas it will die again. The only thing you can do is go in reverse? If you site there for a while, like to let it cool down you can start up & go again for a while but shuts down again! Oils are full & coolant is full radiator is clean engine & trans is all clean!

Reactions: Mouse
rinconmark

rinconmark

Feb 29, 2016
Sudbury , Ontario , Canada
my vent is good I ran a new line up to the roof due to passenger smelling gas fumes all the time
Are you loosing electrical power ? Lights and speedo ?

Does it only do it after you ride for bit ? Try to take gas cap off and restart it ?

If that don't check for spark after it dies .

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gas fumes all the time sounds like maybe there is an issue - I never smell gas fumes with stock tank vent configuration. If tank vent doesn't fix it, might be fuel pump or fuel filter?

Waylan

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
Gas fumes all the time sounds like maybe there is an issue - I never smell gas fumes with stock tank vent configuration. If tank vent doesn't fix it, might be fuel pump or fuel filter?

Waylan

Fuel problem would make sense if @Jimbo didn't state "The only thing you can do is go in reverse". There might be something else going on here. Double check and make sure the fuel pump is working and your getting fuel. Make sure you have GOOD spark.... not weak.

Engine cranks but won't start with no DTC's could be ignition or fuel system... things I would check is intake for leaks, bad fuel, faulty fuel injector, IACV stuck open, faulty ignition relay.
There is a drive power low voltage and high voltage PPT for DTC 64 that talks about testing the ignition circuit. I would switch the ignition relay with another relay (same part#) to see if the problem moves to where you move the relay to and unplug the PCM connector several times... make sure all the pins are set in place put some dielectric grease on the connector and try it.

Good luck and keep us posted

J

Jimbo

Apr 20, 2016
St.Johnsville
I'am at 770 miles, I will be going along down the trail & the machine just dies on me with no dash light indication that something is wrong? then it will start back up but if u put in forward & touch the gas it will die again. The only thing you can do is go in reverse? If you site there for a while, like to let it cool down you can start up & go again for a while but shuts down again! Oils are full & coolant is full radiator is clean engine & trans is all clean!

(Just to Update) it took 3 weeks with out a machine, the dealership did all the work & was covered under warranty! something happiened in the main wiring harness. Now Im on 1125 miles!! I geuss it is safe to say All Better!!!

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
(Just to Update) it took 3 weeks with out a machine, the dealership did all the work & was covered under warranty! something happiened in the main wiring harness. Now Im on 1125 miles!! I geuss it is safe to say All Better!!!
When I ran my fuel vent up a left it short and smelt fumes I lengthened it and ran it into the open end of To roll bar no more fumes

M

Morgan

Oct 6, 2016
Willard, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

HI Jimbo,
I just joined the forum as a new P1000-5 owner. I tried to see if I could PM or email you (didn't see how) so I didn't resurrect an old post but there may be value in doing so as more people are buying the new P1000.
My machine is doing the exact same thing as yours (shuts off). It is now at the dealership and they are clueless with the problem and the Honda Tech line has been no help. Could you please post the name, city, and state of your dealership so I can have mine call that service manager for a consult. It is hunting season and 3 weeks is a big problem. I have 600 miles on mine and on the muzz dear hunt when it started. I had to come home early.
I Also have the fuel smell, so extending the vent is a good idea.
In talking with the one who answers the phone at my dealership they have also seen clutch issues on these new machines so fingers crossed we're not going to deal with that too.
Any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

J

Jimbo

Apr 20, 2016
St.Johnsville
HI Jimbo,
I just joined the forum as a new P1000-5 owner. I tried to see if I could PM or email you (didn't see how) so I didn't resurrect an old post but there may be value in doing so as more people are buying the new P1000.
My machine is doing the exact same thing as yours (shuts off). It is now at the dealership and they are clueless with the problem and the Honda Tech line has been no help. Could you please post the name, city, and state of your dealership so I can have mine call that service manager for a consult. It is hunting season and 3 weeks is a big problem. I have 600 miles on mine and on the muzz dear hunt when it started. I had to come home early.
I Also have the fuel smell, so extending the vent is a good idea.
In talking with the one who answers the phone at my dealership they have also seen clutch issues on these new machines so fingers crossed we're not going to deal with that too.
Any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi Morgan, just to let you know like i said up above (Problem in the main wiring harness) so they had to replace the (whole) Harness!! Bennett's in Cooperstown N.Y.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Jimbo - my P1000 just crossed the 1,000 mile mark when the same problem began a few weeks ago. Interestingly, it's in the dealership now and they have no clue what the problem is. This morning after some frustration with my daily phone calls to them, I found this thread, and forwarded it to the service department at We Ride in Mesa, AZ. The service guy was very thankful because the Honda Tech they contact has been no help to them. Evidently service staff don't search the web for solutions. Hopefully, your post will help me get this thing out of the dealership (finally) after two weeks thus far. A Big Red Thanks to you!!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Whiskey1
Have them run the troubleshooting steps for the PGM-FI code 12/13 fuel injectors.
This should identify the a bad connector.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!