P1000 Honda P1000-3 noises while driving (Please help)

Skyking747

Skyking747

May 6, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Last fall while on a hunting trip around 50 miles of usage on the machine I noticed this noise while driving. It is more prevalent at low speeds but I think that is mostly because the overall engine noise is lower so the odd noise which sounds like rubbing is much more noticeable. The machine still drives just fine, but the noise is definitely not normal. The only thing I can think of that I may have done with it is while driving several instances I had shifted from 2WD to 4WD and vis versa while moving. Later on I read in the owners manual that you should be not moving while shifting between the two modes, unlike many on road vehicles where you can shift back and forth with no problems....

I posted a video of the noise, maybe someone is able to diagnose what the issue is. Thank you for the help!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, I actually had just switched it into 4WD but it does still make the sound in 2WD as well. I mostly drive in 2WD unless I need 4WD, although the machine only has 85 miles on it....
To clarify I was asking high range versus low range not 2WD vs 4WD.

If you’ve only been using high range and not really going very fast you could be burning up the clutch. That’s the thought behind the question at least.

Reactions: ChadD and Remington
Skyking747

Skyking747

May 6, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
To clarify I was asking high range versus low range not 2WD vs 4WD.

If you’ve only been using high range and not really going very fast you could be burning up the clutch. That’s the thought behind the question at least.
I see now. typically am in high range moving above 10

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Id be in low range at that speed imo.
what year is the rig?
Also try opening up the throttle and see what it does. Post a vidgea of that too please

Reactions: ChadD and NTCPrezJB
Skyking747

Skyking747

May 6, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Id be in low range at that speed imo.
what year is the rig?
Also try opening up the throttle and see what it does. Post a vidgea of that too please
2021 P1000-3 Deluxe. The noise is still barely noticeable at higher speeds but I attribute that to the overall increase of engine noise so hearing the problem noise is not as prevalent.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s low range territory IMHO.
Do you feel any slipping of the clutches? It’s a manual transmission machine with a computer engaging/disengaging the clutch on your behalf.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
2021 P1000-3 Deluxe. The noise is still barely noticeable at higher speeds but I attribute that to the overall increase of engine noise so hearing the problem noise is not as prevalent.
My guess is that you have something going on in the clutch, warped gear with the speed your doing. Maybe @HondaTech can chime in if hes heard this before.
does it make the same noise in 2wd,4wd, 2lock or turf or in all?

Reactions: ChadD
Skyking747

Skyking747

May 6, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My guss is that you have somerhing going on in the clutch, warped gear with the speed your doing. Maybe @HondaTech can chime in if hes heard this before.
does it make the same noise in 2wd,4wd, 2lock or turf or in all?
Yes makes the same sound in all 4 modes...

Skyking747

Skyking747

May 6, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s low range territory IMHO.
Do you feel any slipping of the clutches? It’s a manual transmission machine with a computer engaging/disengaging the clutch on your behalf.
driving above 10 mph I should be in low? Typical speed is probably around 15 mph... I dont notice anything different as far as slippage of gears. It acts as it normally did when i first purchased the machine and rode it till around 50 miles on it total...then possibly after shifting back and forth multiple times while moving between 2WD and 4WD i feel I may have aggravated something...

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
driving above 10 mph I should be in low? Typical speed is probably around 15 mph... I dont notice anything different as far as slippage of gears. It acts as it normally did when i first purchased the machine and rode it till around 50 miles on it total...then possibly after shifting back and forth multiple times while moving between 2WD and 4WD i feel I may have aggravated something...
That shifting back and fourth shouldt have effected anything. Done it on my 16’ alot.
Yes low @15 as well or use the paddle shifters and lock it in a higher gear so it dosent shift up so high at sutch a low speed. But low preferred. Im in low going to my bow stand doing 10-12 mph

Skyking747

Skyking747

May 6, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That shifting back and fourth shouldt have effected anything. Done it on my 16’ alot.
Yes low @15 as well or use the paddle shifters and lock it in a higher gear so it dosent shift up so high at sutch a low speed. But low preferred. Im in low going to my bow stand doing 10-12 mph
interesting, okay good to know. As far as the noise goes idk if it's damaging anything or what. I should take it in to the shop nonetheless

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Skyking747
Just for spite check your axels and make sure u dont have one binding or someone to walk with you while driving to see if one is wobbling/binding

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
interesting, okay good to know. As far as the noise goes idk if it's damaging anything or what. I should take it in to the shop nonetheless
Check all the easy stuff first like axels, brake binding and such before you take it to the rape shop

Skyking747

Skyking747

May 6, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Skyking747
Just for spite check your axels and make sure u dont have one binding or someone to walk with you while driving to see if one is wobbling/binding
I haven't seen anything noticeable or out of place but ill triple check that before taking it in...

Reactions: Remington and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!