P700 Drowned 700 SXS

H

Hopey

Sep 4, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-2
gents,

drowned my 700 SXS Pioneer the other day and have drained the oil and dif fluids. Once this was done I took it for a drive and the transmission now slips and it is like it doesn't want to shift while moving just rev's and seems to stay in second gear once it does shift. Also it doesn't seem to want to down shift all the time and when you slow down the go again it just rev's.

Any thoughts as to what it could be before I take it to the dealer?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi.

Let's clarify. By rev do you mean idle.

If you just crank it and let it sit does it rev high?

Note. If it rev's too high the computer will not let it engage a gear until it's at an acceptable rev speed.

Sounds like you have trash in it. Most likley in the idle control valve or valve body.

Last edited:
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
If you had water in the motor you should change the oil 3 more times or more. Flush it out and it should run better. Tranny on the 700 uses the motor's oil. Also over filling helps after you get all the flushing oil changes done. I'd try to change the oil more before i took it to the dealer. Them trying to fix it will cost a lot.

Last edited:
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi Hopey. Welcome to the forum. These guys can diagnose a lot of problems.

Tell us more about the drowning.

How much went under?
for how long?
was it running?
when did you drown it?
what did you see when you changed the oil?
if you check the oil right now, how does it look?

H

Hopey

Sep 4, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-2
well fixed the issue with the shifting. used the emergency valve to reset the limp mode. now went for a ride yesterday and half way through the sxs starting to smoke and burn what seemed to be oil and by he time I got it back home it was smoking steady. strange thing though it did not smell like it was burning oil but more of a clutch/metal smell and stopped several times to check the oil and level on dip stick was good but when I got it on the trailer there was nothing on the dip stick.

any thoughts

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
That sounds bad.

I know from experience, if you don't change your oil several times and get ALL of the water/sand out you will score the cylinders.
I'm afraid your repair just got more involved.

H

Hopey

Sep 4, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think I found the issue

IMG 0544 IMG 0545

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That sucks!:eek: How do you suppose that happened?o_O

advertisement
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If I was a betting man, I would have to say that you changed your spark plug and the new plug caused the damage!o_O

H

Hopey

Sep 4, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-2
that's what I first thought as well but they are the original plugs that went back in it after blowing out any moisture in the cylinders and the plugs are both fine with no damage??

H

Hopey

Sep 4, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-2
well dropped it off at the dealer the other day and they called me this morning saying that the engine is shot!! piston, cylinder, crank and all internal parts are toast. I find this hard to believe but haven't had a chance to get in to see it. I know that these are not meant to go through a lot of water and water internally in an engine is not good. The sxs quit when we took on the water and was never started again until all oil was drained and we did this 3 times with fresh oil and filter so I am a little disappointed as I have had several Hondas in the past and other brands that have been through a great deal more than what happened here.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!