P1000 Dual Battery - Installed Under Seat

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I decided to move my second battery under the drivers a seat to make room under the hood for the Bussmann fuse/relay panel. I left the isolator under the hood where it was originally mounted.

I tied the 140 amp breaker, isolator and cable coming from the battery together with a .250" SS terminal, $10 on Amazon and I just strapped it down with cable ties. I folded the cable coming from the second battery leaving enough that it will reach the first battery post. If something goes really sideways with the first battery, I can get power from the second battery from under the hood.
IMG 3368

Bundled and ran the cables, securing them inside protective loom. Spot taped the cables together and spot taped the loom as well. I ran it right next to the existing factory installed wire loom.
IMG 3363 IMG 3364

Secured the battery with a couple big wire ties and really cranked them down. I was originally planning on enclosing the whole battery, but decided that wasn't necessary.
IMG 3361

I will do something to cover the exposed terminals but it could be as simple as a flap of rubber, it will be something simple.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great job. Nice and clean. This should work out well not only freeing up that space but lowering the center of gravity too.
Thanks!

Didn't even think about center of gravity! Maybe it will help offset the Hi-Lift I mounted on the upper rear ROPS bar!

Reactions: Delton and joeymt33
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just as an FYI, I ordered most of the stuff used for the battery install under the drivers seat from one of my favorite sources - Amazon!

Following are the links to the bits and pieces I used:

Cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0167K7DO2/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Ring Terminals:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005V9UW80/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Junction Block:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZZ06MFC/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Cable Ties:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0F1ABA/?tag=sxsweb24-20

The cable ties were not long enough and I had to use two together, worked fine. There are the very big ones you can get for HVAC duct, but they were like over $30 at Home Depot, got cheap and went this route. Also, the protective wire loom was purchased at the local auto parts store.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I decided to move my second battery under the drivers a seat to make room under the hood for the Bussmann fuse/relay panel. I left the isolator under the hood where it was originally mounted.

I tied the 140 amp breaker, isolator and cable coming from the battery together with a .250" SS terminal, $10 on Amazon and I just strapped it down with cable ties. I folded the cable coming from the second battery leaving enough that it will reach the first battery post. If something goes really sideways with the first battery, I can get power from the second battery from under the hood.
View attachment 25564

Bundled and ran the cables, securing them inside protective loom. Spot taped the cables together and spot taped the loom as well. I ran it right next to the existing factory installed wire loom.
View attachment 25565 View attachment 25566

Secured the battery with a couple big wire ties and really cranked them down. I was originally planning on enclosing the whole battery, but decided that wasn't necessary.
View attachment 25567

I will do something to cover the exposed terminals but it could be as simple as a flap of rubber, it will be something simple.
Great job @Manwell . Looks very clean and should work trouble free. I'm doing some wiring myself and hope mine turns out similar to yours!

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Did not know that you could mount a battery laying on its side! But maybe the new gel type or lithium will be fine mounted on side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dotman1
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Looks like you spent a lot of time securing the wiring and it looks great, but I can't figure out why you scimped on the battery mount. I'm sure if you just putt around on smooth roads that will be OK, but I don't think I'd be real comfortable with that set up. I used 2 pieces of 1/4"all thread on mine and I'm still a little concerned.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like you spent a lot of time securing the wiring and it looks great, but I can't figure out why you scimped on the battery mount. I'm sure if you just putt around on smooth roads that will be OK, but I don't think I'd be real comfortable with that set up. I used 2 pieces of 1/4"all thread on mine and I'm still a little concerned.
Maybe it's enough, maybe not... Felt pretty secure, but time will tell. I tugged on it big time and couldn't budge it. I will report back indeed after it sees some real world use...

K

Kennyjo

Nov 25, 2019
Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4

View attachment 25564

View attachment 25565 View attachment 25566

View attachment 25567

89D9A441 5530 46CE B626 DA0326F828DA 511B6602 B5A5 481F 9713 873DB480891F D8F2335B EE30 4B72 A04D B7A92E701071 CF6FE059 0BC1 49EF B6D0 9E42FD27FC19

K

Kennyjo

Nov 25, 2019
Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Have slide in the optima and wire it

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!