P1000 Dual Battery Setup for 2023 Honda Pionner 1000-5: Proposed Wiring Diagram

C

Cjhustle

Mar 17, 2024
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello to all. I picked up a new 2023 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 in November of 2023. It has been a beast of a machine- farm work, hunting and recreation- the machine is versatile and very capable right off the dealer lot. I did the first service myself and I've since added a few minor things- bed extender, under-dash storage tray, and an under-seat storage box. As you can tell from the picture, I also installed a winch, but it is not currently connected to power, as I don't want to drain the main battery and run into potential clutch issues.

I've been wanting to run a dual battery setup for several months to accommodate the winch and a few light bars. With the upcoming hunting season approaching, all of these accessories will come in useful. I feel like I've made a solid effort in combing through the forums for advice and ideas before reaching out for direct help. Mr. Robert Sparre's diagrams and video tutorials have been most helpful, as have others who have been willing to share their knowledge and experiences. As many before me, this is my first real experience with wiring up a machine like this and despite all of my research, I still seek guidance and reassurance. I drew up a sketch of my wiring diagram. If anyone would be willing to chime in and critique my plan, I'd really appreciate any advice or feedback.

Pioneer

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram.pdf
    557.2 KB · Views: 61
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome.
Ya, it can be confusing to the point your head explodes.

Quickly looking at your diagram.
Are the dash lights, usb, and radio are not fused?
I'll look at it more later.

I recomend splitting it up in 2 phases
1 - the dual batter itself, isolator, and nothing else. Maybe set the volt meter.
2 - the secondary accessories system.

Ultimate it's your decision. But consider this:
If your stinger is triggered by the switch, then everything after it is also triggered hot.

So.. Eliminate that accessory bus and use the fuse box as your main power hub.
You can combine things to save slots.
Like the switch lights/usb/voltmeter could be on the same 5a fuse.

Ok. Just ideas.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa
Nice looking ride. 👍
Your diagram looks good.
I do have a few questions though.
Where/how are you grounding the auxiliary side?
In our 2 battery systems, the positive/hot are totally separate(except when isolator is on), but the negatives tie together...........somewhere.
Connecting to the isolator for the voltmeter, in your diagram, will work, but as soon as it kicks on when running, your meters will read exactly the same. I think you should hook your power/hot wires for the voltmeter directly to each battery. That way you will see the voltage difference.
Volt engine running
Have a good day

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoop and TxDoc
C

Cjhustle

Mar 17, 2024
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all of the input. I think I will start small with the isolator, 2nd battery, and volt meter and then build from there. Cutting out the positive bus would

Connecting the volt meter directly to the batteries and bypassing the isolator makes sense.

Looking back at my chart, I do have a ground problem for the 2nd battery. Since the base ’22 and ’23 models don’t have the extra ground cable like the previous models, I need to figure this out.

Would running a cable from main battery to the negative bus fix this? Everything else in my chart-including the 2nd battery- is already tied to the negative bus. It seems this would close the loop- OR- would it be simpler to run a cable from the 2nd battery ground terminal directly to the main battery?

Someone shared a post in the forum where they grounded the 2nd battery directly to the frame in a ’23 model. I’m having trouble finding that thread again, but I’m not too wild about the idea of drilling a hole in the frame. It seems it would be better to ground to the source rather than the frame (if that makes sense?). Thanks again for everything's input!

Reactions: TxDoc
RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My second battery is effectively tied in to the main battery ground. This was accomplished by monkeying with the factory winch wiring. I’ve shared some photos and details on a post here before. If I can find it I’ll edit in a link.
Found it: P1000m5 - Dual Battery Diagram...Sorry in advance.

The factory winch aspect doesn’t help you, but the logic should be the same.