Eagle River Trails, WI - how are they?

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone ridden the Eagle River Wisconsin trail system? We are trying to find out if they are sand, scenic, rocky, hard pack stone, or whatever. Any info on this area would be appreciated. We are planning an overnighter to either Eagle River area or the Spooner area. We have a little knowledge about Spooner, but we can't find much on Eagle River except the trail maps which the Chamber of Commerce was very extra helpful in providing.

We are finding that trails like Black River Falls which are mostly sand are our least favorite trails. I'm sure many people like the sand, but it's not our cup of tea. Scenery would be our number one factor when riding, followed by trail bed composition I guess. We are fortunate not to have to ride on weekends.

We are rather new to the trail system and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone ridden the Eagle River Wisconsin trail system? We are trying to find out if they are sand, scenic, rocky, hard pack stone, or whatever. Any info on this area would be appreciated. We are planning an overnighter to either Eagle River area or the Spooner area. We have a little knowledge about Spooner, but we can't find much on Eagle River except the trail maps which the Chamber of Commerce was very extra helpful in providing.

We are finding that trails like Black River Falls which are mostly sand are our least favorite trails. I'm sure many people like the sand, but it's not our cup of tea. Scenery would be our number one factor when riding, followed by trail bed composition I guess. We are fortunate not to have to ride on weekends.

We are rather new to the trail system and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
From my understanding it's alot of road routes. I wouldn't base a whole weekend on them. I really enjoyed the spooner area. Have you tried the deadhorse out of clam lake? It's pretty nice.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I didn't know about the Dead-horse out of Clam Lake. I do know there is a lot of logging roads there which might make for some interesting and perhaps wet trails. I recall traveling some of those logging roads in a 4 WD truck - thank God it wasn't my truck. LOL I'll also check on the Conover to Phelps ride.

Thanks for the input, I'll use it for sure.

Reactions: Plumber32
bigr244

bigr244

Mar 23, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500
Planning on heading up for memorial day. Amy suggestions where to go?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Planning on heading up for memorial day. Amy suggestions where to go?

Hurley has there big ride that weekend. Better find a place to stay asap!

Reactions: bigr244
UpnorthP5

UpnorthP5

Sep 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
Harrison Hills are a nice ride

BD65DDF0 6701 47BA 83E5 AA732860B198

bigr244

bigr244

Mar 23, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500
Registered for the poker run out of Hurley. Anyone else going to be there?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently got a map of Vilas county. Looms like a lot of roads. It's a tourist trap too so lodging isn't a good value, in my opinion. I'd like to try it some day but I don't have high hopes

bigr244

bigr244

Mar 23, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone actually done this before? If that's the case I'll cancel and try Harrison hills.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have ridden the Cable, Drummon, & Iron River (what ever is north of Drummon) area before, It is a lot of forest roads (snowmobile trails) and pretty nice. There was one section that it looked like they were Thinking about 50" but no real signs or gates then (2 years ago). There is a rail road grade at Iron River going east too.

Reactions: bigr244
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have ridden the Cable, Drummon, & Iron River (what ever is north of Drummon) area before, It is a lot of forest roads (snowmobile trails) and pretty nice. There was one section that it looked like they were Thinking about 50" but no real signs or gates then (2 years ago). There is a rail road grade at Iron River going east too.
Please clarify, "There was one section that it looked like they were Thinking about 50" but...." Either I'm missing something or your computer had a hiccup.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please clarify, "There was one section that it looked like they were Thinking about 50" but...." Either I'm missing something or your computer had a hiccup.
Hes talking about the u.p. I believe.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went to the deadhorse 2 weeks ago. Great time. Was wet but better than dust. Staying over outside of spooner this weekend. Ride up to trego, and east in Birchwood.

Reactions: Mudwing
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Or theres a section in forest county I believe that may be 50" but I'm sure you can skip that part.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It looks like we are going to spend a few days in Spooner at the Best Western right on the trail. We have never ridden in this area, but the trails that goes through there looks really nice. We have been very satisfied with this motel in the past, and we are looking forward to the ride. And of course we'll be checking our maps for the rides suggested in this thread. Lots of good info. Thanks

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
sorry have been working (gets in the way lol) What I was referring to was that they had signs on one end of trail coming from north saying 50" with no gates or anything that would restrict and the other the end nor any of the cross trails had anything at all about 50". My gut was that the trail had either had 50" signs (and no longer was restricted) or they were in process of setting it up for 50".

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It looks like we are going to spend a few days in Spooner at the Best Western right on the trail. We have never ridden in this area, but the trails that goes through there looks really nice. We have been very satisfied with this motel in the past, and we are looking forward to the ride. And of course we'll be checking our maps for the rides suggested in this thread. Lots of good info. Thanks
We have also been looking into going to Spooner this summer, would appreciate feedback on how you liked it when you return, we have plans for the Rhinelander area in July.We were there last summer and had a good time so we are going again this year, Were at Black River Falls last month and they are starting to gravel a lot of the trails

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!