Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I don't understand. This is the largest harness I can find. It's only good up to 300w. What does everyone else do with light bars larger.
https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Wiring-Harness-Rocker-Switch?tag=sxsweb24-20
That sticker could be misleading, 480 watts output is not the same as 480 watts consumption. Just looking at the wired pigtail on that light no way would I try to push over 40 amps through it.

Now if it was 10 or 8 gauge wire maybe, but it looks like typical 14 gauge wire on my 50" light, it is 400 watt draw of 34 amps ran by a 40 amp relay and fuse.

If you don't understand any of the better get hand's on help, once the pretty blue smoke rolls it's too late.

Jamesgang

Jamesgang

Jan 29, 2017
Kitzmiller, Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That sticker could be misleading, 480 watts output is not the same as 480 watts consumption. Just looking at the wired pigtail on that light no way would I try to push over 40 amps through it.

Now if it was 10 or 8 gauge wire maybe, but it looks like typical 14 gauge wire on my 50" light, it is 400 watt draw of 34 amps ran by a 40 amp relay and fuse.

If you don't understand any of the better get hand's on help, once the pretty blue smoke rolls it's too late.
Thanks for the reply. that's what I was thinking also. the wire is 14 or 12. I will check that out to be sure. if its only 14 I don't see why I can't use a 300w set up. I may just build my own & do it a little heavy to be safe.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the reply. that's what I was thinking also. the wire is 14 or 12. I will check that out to be sure. if its only 14 I don't see why I can't use a 300w set up. I may just build my own & do it a little heavy to be safe.

The longer the wire the larger it needs to be.
They may be "getting away" with a smaller wire for that 12" length. But if you try a 14ga between the roof and the rest of the circuit you may be at 20+ feet of wire.

J

JTW

I'll check to see what gage wire mine is.. but that's exactly what I would do. I just don't understand the wattage rating. You could hook the pigtails up to a spare battery and test the amperage with an amp clamp. I did that on mine to be sure the 300 watt was correct.

J

JTW

This is the sticker on the light. It says 480v + or - 25w. Does that mean I would need a 45 amp fuse.

View attachment 35005

The wires don't seam to be that big. View attachment 35006
This is 300 watts and 24.6 amps. Amazon.com: Auxbeam LED Light Bar 52" Curved 300W Driving Light 30000LM 6000K LEDs Flood Spot Combo Beam Waterproof for Off-Road Jeep Boat Truck SUV UTV Ford Chevrolet: Automotive
IMG 2754
Your wires look the same to me... I used the prewired bussman box.. it has 35 amp relays and 30 amp fuses..

Amazon.com: Universal Waterproof Fuse Relay Box Panel Cooper Bussmann ATV UTV RV Boat 4X4: Industrial & Scientific

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you thought about running the switch sized usb charger with a voltmeter built into it? I dont have a pic but others have posted pics on here of them.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Mictuning Universal Rocker Style Dual USB Car Charger for iPhone 6 6S Plus Mobile Device, Blue LED Digital Display Voltmeter Monitor Battery Voltage(Blue) Amazon.com: Mictuning Universal Rocker Style Dual USB Car Charger for iPhone 6 6S Plus Mobile Device, Blue LED Digital Display Voltmeter Monitor Battery Voltage(Blue): Cell Phones & Accessories

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mictuning Universal Rocker Style Dual USB Car Charger for iPhone 6 6S Plus Mobile Device, Blue LED Digital Display Voltmeter Monitor Battery Voltage(Blue) Amazon.com: Mictuning Universal Rocker Style Dual USB Car Charger for iPhone 6 6S Plus Mobile Device, Blue LED Digital Display Voltmeter Monitor Battery Voltage(Blue): Cell Phones & Accessories

One thing that I have come to dislike about those is that you cannot view battery voltage when you have an accessory charging from one of the two ports.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Really? It worked for me the other night just fine.

I've got two, one for each battery. I'll have to try them both.

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I
One thing that I have come to dislike about those is that you cannot view battery voltage when you have an accessory charging from one of the two ports.
I have one and I have a battery switch so I can alternate between the 2 batteries or turn if off. It works for me when it is charging something.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine reads battery voltage while im charging anything from it

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!