S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
I get it which is why if I were recommending a trailer set-up to a friend who says "I am almost over gvwr…" I'd say go tandem axle so you won't be. It is more than about the ability to add length. It is about better tracking, easier backing and less precision needed on weight distribution. Most importantly it is about your safety. When you are near gvwr you are stressing each component of that suspension.Then you add a 1 ft. to the top of the trailer and you are increasing curb weight and moving that center of gravity up just a bit. I'm certainly not saying this will end in a bad crash or ever wishing that on anyone, I'm just saying think about it. Utility trailers tend not to be affected by a single vs tandem in a bad situation because they don't have the same higher center of gravity or wind working against them. If you go enclosed for P1000 weight, I'd go tandem no question...

A lot of factors at play here with lifted tow vehicle and likely "freak out" response by the driver...

Driver does a great job but watch the slight fishtail, a tandem would have maintained its line with a lot less drama involved...

good info, I think you may be right... even though this would be only to haul up to cabin and back, if I need to I can haul my 4 wheeler and fishing sled no problem.

thanks,
Gary

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
ok I am going to buy a enclosed trailer for my p1000 deluxe with hard Honda roof... looking at H&H trailers
how many of you have tried to get your p1000-5 inside a 63.5" wide ramp door...I think the Hondas are 63.0" wide... probably will have to go with a 7x12 I think when they state 7x12 they are talking 7.0' high or are they talking 7.0' wide at the door... not sure... your payload is eaten up by your curbside weight which is gvr is 3000 lbs - trailer weight around 1100lbs so your payload is 1900lbs. not much room to reach the max...
however trailer manufactures usually give about 25% more gvw because they know people are going to push the limit...that is ok but you do not want to be going across a RR track at 65 mph with close to gvw or you will bend a spring...guess how I know that...

thanks in advance,
Gary
If the budget will allow, go for a 14’ with tandem axles, they pull soooo much better, backing them up is far easier and it’s way better if you ever have a flat.

Reactions: BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heres a few

Factory Direct Cargo Trailers / 100s In Stock / BBB A+ Rated / Deliver

Factory Direct Cargo Trailers / 100s In Stock / BBB A+ Rated / Deliver

Southern Trailer Depot is proud to be the #1 trailer dealer in GA. We are A+ rated with the BBB and will not be undersold. We have assisted thousands of customers with trailers all across the USA and Canada over the past 12 years and we want to say ... 12d995a2932d6d337a65d976b9f071c9

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and Montecresto
Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
46B5E2A6 CF02 4CDC 9482 4418C002339C I went with the 8.5 x 30’ wit v nose 2’ of extra height. What I likeis I can haul whatever I want plus 2 sxs’s. Be careful with the v nose and toungue length. Mine Just built the “V” on the tongue and it takes away from the angle you can turn without getting a bumper into the trailer.

Reactions: JTW and BWAF
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 103596 I went with the 8.5 x 30’ wit v nose 2’ of extra height. What I likeis I can haul whatever I want plus 2 sxs’s. Be careful with the v nose and toungue length. Mine Just built the “V” on the tongue and it takes away from the angle you can turn without getting a bumper into the trailer.
That’s a bummer!!!

S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
FWIW, I just bought one last year and I can tell you that 6' shouldn't even be considered for a P1. Mine is a 7' x 12' and if I had to do it again I would get a 14'er and tandem axle. This has a 7' interior height and V nose. Keep in mind this is a P5 and it fits like a glove, just enough room to get around it.

View attachment 103562
nice setup...

Gary

Reactions: trigger and BWAF
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine rides on a 7x14 trailer most of the time... keep in mind how your weight is going to sit in that trailer and how a loaded bed will change your tongue weight. Are you talking about a single or tandem axle?

I have a 7x14 similar trailer to JTW, but mine is a v-nose aluminum trailer with a pair of 3500 lb axels and 12” extra height with a ramp door.

It’s a great trailer but would prefer to have a 8’ wide as it’s pretty tight getting in and out of the 1000.

J

JTW

I have a 7x14 similar trailer to JTW, but mine is a v-nose aluminum trailer with a pair of 3500 lb axels and 12” extra height with a ramp door.

It’s a great trailer but would prefer to have a 8’ wide as it’s pretty tight getting in and out of the 1000.
Mine is just a single axle with a rail around it and a ramp.. it’s great for normal use but it’s not what I’d use to pull across country.

Reactions: Vikes79 and BWAF
hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a cargo craft 7x14 tandem axle, have to get close to one side to get out of sxs,
trailer is also 7ft tall so the opening is 6ft 6in high.

hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
But 7ft interior height... you can get away with that in the barn doors but doesn’t work on a ramp gate if you have any lift or tires etc.
Yea with a lift gate you will have a 6ft 6in opening account you need 6in header for the lift springs.
your right if your sxs is lifted or taller tires may not fit.

Reactions: JTW
C

crosby

Sep 8, 2018
Cincinnati
Ownership

1. 700-2
ok I am going to buy a enclosed trailer for my p1000 deluxe with hard Honda roof... looking at H&H trailers
how many of you have tried to get your p1000-5 inside a 63.5" wide ramp door...I think the Hondas are 63.0" wide... probably will have to go with a 7x12 I think when they state 7x12 they are talking 7.0' high or are they talking 7.0' wide at the door... not sure... your payload is eaten up by your curbside weight which is gvr is 3000 lbs - trailer weight around 1100lbs so your payload is 1900lbs. not much room to reach the max...
however trailer manufactures usually give about 25% more gvw because they know people are going to push the limit...that is ok but you do not want to be going across a RR track at 65 mph with close to gvw or you will bend a spring...guess how I know that...

thanks in advance,
Gary
I just bought a v-nose 7’ wide x 12 ‘long by 7’ high door, for my new pioneer 700 , if you put it to the right side, you can get in and out the door verily easy, and make sure you get It with a 7’ ft high door or it won’t fit, I had to special order mine, I also got a single axle with brakes
Good luck, I love my 700 especially like the manual and auto transmission

Reactions: elkguide and JTW
Jensenj71

Jensenj71

Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an 8' wide x 7' tall x 18' long plus v nose. It has 4" drop axles which set it too low to the ground for getting very far off of the pavement. I would try to find a trailer with a straight axle. It is 77" through the door and a 1000-5 with Honda hardtop would not fit. You pretty much need a 7.5' tall trailer to accommodate anything taller than factory. I can't see being happy with a 7' wide. The 8' wide allows me to load the sxs centered and hang backpacks on the passenger wall. I will eventually move to a 8' wide x 7.5' tall x 16' long snowmobile style trailer where the trailer deck is over the top of the tires. This will allow me a flat floor and more ground clearance to get into hunting camp. The snowmobile style trailers also tend to have marine grade plywood floors and rubber floor covering.

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!