Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
On trailers less than 14’ just don’t see it. Your tow vehicle shouldn’t be so light that a small trailer is driving the vehicle even with a blowout. Had lots of blowouts on boat trailers and small trailers. Never once lost anything other than time to change the tire. I also don’t drive like a nut job when towing either.

I change my trailer tires on all my trailers (car haulers, goosenecks, camper, boat every two years regardless of use. I haven’t had a single trailer tire failure since I started that practice with the China bomb tires 15 years ago.
I had feeling my reply was going to get rise out of you. Lol.
I was just merrily stating an experience not saying it Will happen to you or anyone else and I god hope it doesn't! I also never said he or you drive or were driving like a nut job when towing lol. 🙄 we all know thats not a good idea. frankly he was 5 under the highway speed limit he said and was reported as such. The tow vehicle was more than adequate, (F350) it was the hight of the cargo (sxs) accompanied with road hazard ( lovely mi roads everyone should experience them lol) that caused the sway and loss of trailer control in the blow out according to the police report.
I appreciate your educating me, but Its not necessary. You see, trailer load ranges, weight and adequate vehicles to pull them. That was heavy part of that job working on heavy truck and trailer for my 6yrs at Roush transportation Im all good there. I could bore everyone and dig out my old DOT slide rule and books with GVR,GVRW, axel to axel to weight distribution with tire sidewall structure, then vehicle multiplied by this and that bla bla bla but I aint doin that its not necessary, and will get everyone in a tissy🤣 Like when Engineers loved to tell me how to do my job they had never did😂

God bless you on changing your trailer tires every 2 years. Everyone should do this, its good practice and recommended by DOT stds. Should note, this to be done no matter where your tires are made. It goes a long way with not having tire failures. Some things are out of our control tho and we have to be ready for it. Its Like our customers for preventative maint. When it fails, and lord knows it will at some point you cant kick yourself and say I wish I had done XY&Z before hand.

Curious, assuming it was 15yrs ago cuz of your statement you were having lots of blow outs on boat trailers and such. What made u switch to the every 2 yr recommended practice? Was it the brand or just the changing out intervals? I hear people saying where they are made mostly.

Reactions: Vikes79 and ChadD
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
How do you like the Kaufman tilt deck? I’m thinking of getting one to haul my tractor and a possible mini excavator in the future.

I had a single axle trailer that I used for towing my toys and it worked really well.

View attachment 422571

The sides on the front came off and turned into ramps so I could load an ATV on the front and then my Rzr behind it.

Pulled really well.

Here it is when I had my Ranger, had to get a little creative to get the ATV on it then. It was only a 14’er.

View attachment 422573

I use a toy hauler now. This is the same Rzr and ATV. It is a wide body 8.5’ wide so I can squeeze them in beside each other if I do it just right.

View attachment 422574

I like the enclosed part for security for sure. I was always worried leaving the machines on the open trailer even with them chained up.
Way too many Poo Poo Fire Trap pics and references thrown around in your post😱🤣
What Honda do u have now? Any pics of that? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio and ChadD
ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was just merrily stating an experience not saying it Will happen to you or anyone else and I god hope it doesn't! I also never said he or you drive or were driving like a nut job when towing lol. 🙄 we all know thats not a good idea. frankly he was 5 under the highway speed limit he said and was reported as such. The tow vehicle was more than adequate, (F350) it was the hight of the cargo (sxs) accompanied with road hazard ( lovely mi roads everyone should experience them lol) that caused the sway and loss of trailer control in the blow out according to the police report.
I appreciate your educating me, but Its not necessary. You see, trailer load ranges, weight and adequate vehicles to pull them. That was heavy part of that job working on heavy truck and trailer for my 6yrs at Roush transportation Im all good there. I could bore everyone and dig out my old DOT slide rule and books with GVR,GVRW, axel to axel to weight distribution with tire sidewall structure, then vehicle multiplied by this and that bla bla bla but I aint doin that its not necessary, and will get everyone in a tissy🤣 Like when Engineers loved to tell me how to do my job they had never did😂

God bless you on changing your trailer tires every 2 years. Everyone should do this, its good practice and recommended by DOT stds. Should note, this to be done no matter where your tires are made. It goes a long way with not having tire failures. Some things are out of our control tho and we have to be ready for it. Its Like our customers for preventative maint. When it fails, and lord knows it will at some point you cant kick yourself and say I wish I had done XY&Z before hand.

Curious, assuming it was 15yrs ago cuz of your statement you were having lots of blow outs on boat trailers and such. What made u switch to the every 2 yr recommended practice? Was it the brand or just the changing out intervals? I hear people saying where they are made mostly.

P.O.I.D.H 🤔🖕🤣

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
P.O.I.D.H 🤔🖕🤣
God I wish I had them. It was back when we had Nextel flips. Im sure Andrew has some he took with one of those cardboard box cameras. It was a Poo Poo Ranger 500 I believe🤔 was a tangled mess on his way up to deer camp. Ill never forget it

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
God I wish I had them. It was back when we had Nextel flips. Im sure Andrew has some he took with one of those cardboard box cameras. It was a Poo Poo Ranger 500 I believe🤔 was a tangled mess on his way up to deer camp. Ill never forget it
Oh the Nextels…

That brings back horrible memories. The non etiquette friends I had that would PTT and begin talking instantly. Stupid phones.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh the Nextels…

That brings back horrible memories. The non etiquette friends I had that would PTT and begin talking instantly. Stupid phones.

20 yrs ago I worked at the same place I do now. 3 guys were partners in the business. So 3 bosses 🙄. They were having issues amongst each other. I was working with one guy in the field while the other 2 were office guys. I had to go back inside for something and was talking to the main guy when boss in truck PTT me about the pricks inside 🤦‍♂️. Main boss asked if he heard what he thought he heard 🤣. I said I didn't hear anything 🤷‍♂️😁🤣🤣🤣.

Crazy stuff.

Now the main boss retired. Dummy was fired unpartnered years ago. I bring it up once in awhile for laughs now 🤣

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Oh the Nextels…

20 yrs ago I worked at the same place I do now. 3 guys were partners in the business. So 3 bosses 🙄. They were having issues amongst each other. I was working with one guy in the field while the other 2 were office guys. I had to go back inside for something and was talking to the main guy when boss in truck PTT me about the pricks inside 🤦‍♂️. Main boss asked if he heard what he thought he heard 🤣. I said I didn't hear anything 🤷‍♂️😁🤣🤣🤣.

Crazy stuff.

Now the main boss retired. Dummy was fired unpartnered years ago. I bring it up once in awhile for laughs now 🤣
Jesus yes!
We had them for work for a long time. Had a base speaker for dispatch. This moron tech that couldn't shut up on the thing, his button stuck on the PTT (he didnt know) and we couldn't cut him off.
The fucer sang Xmas songs to himself for 30 min to the job🤣 he was so out of tune! We LOFAO the whole time

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Enclosed all day for long trips. And being in a truck camper having the enclosed doubles as a closet, change all your muddy clothes in there. Protects the Pioneer, and hides extra fuel/ propane, places for a friend to throw a cot for sleeping. Your camper is already blocking the wind so mpg will be similar. I can't think of 1 reason you'd want an open trailer for your usage.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

God bless you on changing your trailer tires every 2 years. Everyone should do this, its good practice and recommended by DOT stds.

Nah I’ve got a thick skin..I manage Engineers…I’m used to it.🤣

I had a China bomb tire take out the fender and beat the hell outta my boat. It was 3 years old and looked great.

At the time China bomb tires were only available locally and they were half the cost of Goodyears ordered. So I just decided to change them every 2 years and use them on the farm if they still held air or sell them locally to people wanting them for their cheap ice houses. If the trailer is new like the one I just bought, the next tires will also be at least one load range higher so I can run some extra psi to keep heat generation down.

BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee

Jan 4, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I like the ease of loading and towing of my tilt 14’ for day use. For longer trips I would rather have the added security of the enclosed.

IMG 1146

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So a single axel is better than tandem? That would certainly be less expensive.
Until you get a flat where you can't safely pull over. The cool chit ain't cheep and the cheep chit ain't cool (or adequate)

Tandem torsion axles on an enclosed 8.5 x 16 trailer. $6000

POT 6K

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!