100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Currently shopping for a new trailer for the pioneer. The trailers I have now are 22 foot equipment trailer and a 14 foot dump trailer both of which are too big to tow anywhere across the country. So my thought is to either buy an enclosed trailer or another Open trailer. I wanted to get y’all‘s opinions and see what you thought. Obviously an enclosed trailer is about twice the cost of an open trailer so there is that factor. I shopped around a little bit yesterday for an average of four to $5000 I can get an open trailer , however many feet wide by about 16 feet long versus most of the enclosed trailers at the one place I went to were $10,000 and up. Is the money worth going that extra mile to have it covered? What are y’all thoughts I’d really appreciate your insight. Thank you .

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My tow rig is going to be 8 feet wide. It’s a Ford F350 DRW. I spoke to @CumminsPusher yesterday and I believe he suggested something at least 7 to 8 feet wide so you can get in and out if it’s an enclosed trailer. I like the idea of having a little workspace or garage if the weather is inclement and to store, extra rocks, and other things, I find along my journey But also to haul extra fuel tools and things of that nature otherwise if I did an open trailer, I would probably mount a 4 foot long by 2‘ x 2‘ job box one of those locking steel boxes you leave at a job site with all your tools in it
IMG 0435

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Currently shopping for a new trailer for the pioneer. The trailers I have now are 22 foot equipment trailer and a 14 foot dump trailer both of which are too big to tow anywhere across the country. So my thought is to either buy an enclosed trailer or another Open trailer. I wanted to get y’all‘s opinions and see what you thought. Obviously an enclosed trailer is about twice the cost of an open trailer so there is that factor. I shopped around a little bit yesterday for an average of four to $5000 I can get an open trailer , however many feet wide by about 16 feet long versus most of the enclosed trailers at the one place I went to were $10,000 and up. Is the money worth going that extra mile to have it covered? What are y’all thoughts I’d really appreciate your insight. Thank you .
If you are just towing across country with it, open all day long. Don’t buy a 16 foot, but a 20footer. You can get two Pioneer 1000’s on a 20 footer. If you need a secure place to store it at night,buy an enclosed. The open will get better fuel mileage too.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are just towing across country with it, open all day long. Don’t buy a 16 foot, but a 20footer. You can get two Pioneer 1000’s on a 20 footer. If you need a secure place to store it at night,buy an enclosed. The open will get better fuel mileage too.
I already own a 22 foot tilt bed Kaufman Trailer so in the need to carry two machines I’m already covered. Currently I only have one though and I don’t wanna tow my 22 foot trailer everywhere.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I’ve been using a 16’ tandem axle utility trailer until now. I’ve just bought a 16x8.5 enclosed trailer for hauling and sleeping eventually. What I like about the enclosed is the security while traveling, all trip items stored already, and I can basically prep the machine and it’s ready to go when I get there. For example is my headsets, bags, 10-80Dirtsports trash bag, etc.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would use the 22ft trailer. I have had an 18, a 20 and a 24ft car hauler. I like always having a big enough trailer. With a 1 ton you'll never have to worry about it being back there. Set it up with the lights, tie downs, tire pressure sensors, storage and make it the do it all trailer

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For those of you that don’t already know, I’m having a Bison Overland flat bed hard sided camper shell made for my truck, so, sleeping somewhere wild is already covered….

IMG 4435 IMG 4429 IMG 4428 IMG 4427 IMG 4423 IMG 4422 IMG 4421 IMG 4420

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20230401 114441

20ft x 8.5' wide with extra tall headroom.
Had 2 Pioneer's in it. 7500 lb GVWR, added an equilizer hitch and dual sway stabilizers, pulls great. I also own a couple open, single and dual axle trailers for short - frequent hauls.
Storage and security.
JMO

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Enclosed in my opinion. You can always sleep in it if your out riding in an undeveloped area.
I added a roof AC and a portable generator for this very reason.
Check this company out. Solar battery powered AC units

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve had both….they both have their place.

Since you are having a camper shell made, I’d recommend an open trailer. Otherwise the enclosed cold be used as a camper..plenty of conversions out there on the web.

An enclosed will always get your buggy to the destination clean and without any additional damage. Security is also a positive. Trailer also can be storage not used. Sucks a lot of fuel and not as nice in high winds. Inside temps can get very high if not insulated and you have no idea what the contents are doing until you get to your destination. I used to have a 7x14 double axel aluminum enclosed trailer.

Open trailer is more flexible, could maybe be pulled around your property by the SXS and makes for an excellent campground booze wagon behind the SXS. Much easier to use for other things that are cumbersome to get into and enclosed trailer. I used to have a PJ 77x120 with a bifold rear gate and 3500lb axel. Worked great for my p1k5.

My new trailer I’ll be picking up tomorrow will be a 80”x14’ PJ trailer with a 5k spring axel and bifold gate and side ramps as the 10’ won’t hold my SXS anymore…

Ailers 14 ATV Utility Trailer 5200 lb pyZvSCob8aop

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve had both….they both have their place.

Since you are having a camper shell made, I’d recommend an open trailer. Otherwise the enclosed cold be used as a camper..plenty of conversions out there on the web.

An enclosed will always get your buggy to the destination clean and without any additional damage. Security is also a positive. Trailer also can be storage not used. Sucks a lot of fuel and not as nice in high winds. Inside temps can get very high if not insulated and you have no idea what the contents are doing until you get to your destination. I used to have a 7x14 double axel aluminum enclosed trailer.

Open trailer is more flexible, could maybe be pulled around your property by the SXS and makes for an excellent campground booze wagon behind the SXS. Much easier to use for other things that are cumbersome to get into and enclosed trailer. I used to have a PJ 77x120 with a bifold rear gate and 3500lb axel. Worked great for my p1k5.

My new trailer I’ll be picking up tomorrow will be a 80”x14’ PJ trailer with a 5k spring axel and bifold gate and side ramps as the 10’ won’t hold my SXS anymore…

View attachment 422442
So a single axel is better than tandem? That would certainly be less expensive.

Reactions: ChadD and NTCPrezJB
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So a single axel is better than tandem? That would certainly be less expensive.
If you’re only pulling your SXS I don’t see a reason for tandems. More tires to replace, maintain etc for not much benefit on a small trailer. If you blow a tire you put the spare on… tandems on a short trailer really scrub a lot on turns.

My new trailer has a 5 k axel because I want to use it to haul totes of water for dust control on my gravel road and mostly because with my sportsman 570 touring and the P1k5 on the same trailer…a 3500 lb axel is nearing the margin with the trailer weight added in.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If you’re only pulling your SXS I don’t see a reason for tandems. More tires to replace, maintain etc for not much benefit on a small trailer. If you blow a tire you put the spare on… tandems on a short trailer really scrub a lot on turns.
I beg to differ except on a small trailer over a tandem. Depends on your deffiniton on what a small trailer is for tandem? Mine is 16’.
A single axel pulling a rig like our sxs particularly P1’s and Talons is much more dangerous on a blow out compared to a tandem when u have more control of ur railer @ highway speed With one out of 3 tires out.
Had a buddy total his sxs when his single axle trailer tire went out on the highway, quickly lost control and flipped the trailer.He was lucky the pin lock snapped with the force of the trailer and did not stay on or who knows what would have happened to the truck and them. BTW the SXS stayed strapped to the trailer the whole time.
I’ll take the more maint and expense over that.
It only takes one time to find out.
to each his own I guess.
AS They say…
IMG 4451
🤣

Reactions: ChadD
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I beg to differ except on a small trailer over a tandem. Depends on your deffiniton on what a small trailer is for tandem? Mine is 16’.
A single axel pulling a rig like our sxs particularly P1’s and Talons is much more dangerous on a blow out compared to a tandem when u have more control of ur railer @ highway speed With one out of 3 tires out.
Had a buddy total his sxs when his single axle trailer tire went out on the highway, quickly lost control and flipped the trailer.He was lucky the pin lock snapped with the force of the trailer and did not stay on or who knows what would have happened to the truck and them. BTW the SXS stayed strapped to the trailer the whole time.
I’ll take the more maint and expense over that.
It only takes one time to find out.
to each his own I guess.
AS They say…
View attachment 422568🤣
On trailers less than 14’ just don’t see it. Your tow vehicle shouldn’t be so light that a small trailer is driving the vehicle even with a blowout. Had lots of blowouts on boat trailers and small trailers. Never once lost anything other than time to change the tire. I also don’t drive like a nut job when towing either.

I change my trailer tires on all my trailers (car haulers, goosenecks, camper, boat every two years regardless of use. I haven’t had a single trailer tire failure since I started that practice with the China bomb tires 15 years ago.

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I already own a 22 foot tilt bed Kaufman Trailer so in the need to carry two machines I’m already covered. Currently I only have one though and I don’t wanna tow my 22 foot trailer everywhere.
How do you like the Kaufman tilt deck? I’m thinking of getting one to haul my tractor and a possible mini excavator in the future.

I had a single axle trailer that I used for towing my toys and it worked really well.

IMG 6275

The sides on the front came off and turned into ramps so I could load an ATV on the front and then my Rzr behind it.

Pulled really well.

Here it is when I had my Ranger, had to get a little creative to get the ATV on it then. It was only a 14’er.

IMG 3742

I use a toy hauler now. This is the same Rzr and ATV. It is a wide body 8.5’ wide so I can squeeze them in beside each other if I do it just right.

IMG 4426

I like the enclosed part for security for sure. I was always worried leaving the machines on the open trailer even with them chained up.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do you like the Kaufman tilt deck? I’m thinking of getting one to haul my tractor and a possible mini excavator in the future.

I had a single axle trailer that I used for towing my toys and it worked really well.

View attachment 422571

The sides on the front came off and turned into ramps so I could load an ATV on the front and then my Rzr behind it.

Pulled really well.

Here it is when I had my Ranger, had to get a little creative to get the ATV on it then. It was only a 14’er.

View attachment 422573

I use a toy hauler now. This is the same Rzr and ATV. It is a wide body 8.5’ wide so I can squeeze them in beside each other if I do it just right.

View attachment 422574

I like the enclosed part for security for sure. I was always worried leaving the machines on the open trailer even with them chained up.
I love my Kaufman tilt deck trailer to haul my equipment around on. It’s great for that. It’s just a little too big to carry my Honda pioneer.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!