Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Those of you who followed, I purchased a new all aluminum Lightning 7x14 tandem axle trailer not long after I bought my P1K5. Long story short, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to get in and out of once the bike was in the trailer, so ... I sold it last fall. I was able to recoup all but $270 of the original purchase price (can't complain).

I think I'm getting ready to order a new one. Same trailer brand, same everything, except a few changes. Not only will it be 2' longer (7x16), but it will include the UTV 'escape hatch' on the left side. And this will be all black instead of two-tone black/silver of the last one (my pickup is black with very only a few touches of chrome).

Anyway, my other choice is ceiling height. I can get it with the typical UTV height of a 7' tall ceiling, but can also add yet another 6" and get a 7' 6" height. That seems really TALL for an enclosed cargo trailer, but it does future proof it somewhat. With that last trailer I bought, it had the 7' ceiling and the P1K5 did get in and out with some room to spare. However, I still have to install my Fox3 shocks fitted with aftermarket springs, and I know that's going to raise it up a bit. I don't necessarily plan on lifts/portals/similar, but you never know.

Would the extra 6" of height make much of a difference towing? My main concern is stability and the wind, whether from the sides or front. I have a 2021 Ford F150 5.0L 4x4 Crew Cab with the 6.5' bed.

I know some of you tow MUCH larger toy haulers but assume most pull with heavier 3/4 or 1 ton pickup trucks, most likely a lot of diesels (sure do miss my 2017 F350 SuperDuty Powerstroke!).

Appreciate the input.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would get the additional height just in case. If you need a truck that will pull that trailer buy a RAM. 😂 Do they make a V-nose front? My 38foot enclosed had a V-nose but it was a gooseneck.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I would get the additional height just in case. If you need a truck that will pull that trailer buy a RAM. 😂 Do they make a V-nose front? My 38foot enclosed had a V-nose but it was a gooseneck.
My very first new pickup was a 2002 Dodge Ram 4x4 with the 360CI V8. After two transmissions, a host of electrical issues and one under hood fire (brake line @ master cylinder sprung a leak, shot right at the exhaust manifold and caught on fire), I got rid of it after 10 long years. Went to F-Series trucks and have never looked back. Although I wouldn't want to be paying $5/gallon for diesel right now, my favorite was my 2017 F350 Powerstroke. I could pull trailers with multiple machines on it and you wouldn't even know it was back there. :)

Yes, the one I may order does have a V-nose front. It's all aluminum, too, so less weight to pull (or more capacity for cargo) vs a steel framed trailer.

Thanks, @Mopower58.

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My very first new pickup was a 2002 Dodge Ram 4x4 with the 360CI V8. After two transmissions, a host of electrical issues and one under hood fire (brake line @ master cylinder sprung a leak, shot right at the exhaust manifold and caught on fire), I got rid of it after 10 long years. Went to F-Series trucks and have never looked back. Although I wouldn't want to be paying $5/gallon for diesel right now, my favorite was my 2017 F350 Powerstroke. I could pull trailers with multiple machines on it and you wouldn't even know it was back there. :)

Yes, the one I may order does have a V-nose front. It's all aluminum, too, so less weight to pull (or more capacity for cargo) vs a steel framed trailer.

Thanks, @Mopower58.
You're welcome, 2002 Ram? 360? We have running water and electricity now! 🙄 360's are old old technology, like the Ford 351. Hemi's and Cummins now. I pulled my gooseneck with a Cummins powered 2012 Mega Cab dually. It never had a hiccup to 60,000 miles when I sold it.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
You're welcome, 2002 Ram? 360? We have running water and electricity now! 🙄 360's are old old technology, like the Ford 351. Hemi's and Cummins now. I pulled my gooseneck with a Cummins powered 2012 Mega Cab dually. It never had a hiccup to 60,000 miles when I sold it.
If I eat at a hamburger joint and it tastes like s***, I don't go back there again later hoping they changed the recipe. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Glad you've had good luck with your RAM. I haven't had so much as a hiccup out of the five F-Series trucks I've owned over the years.

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If I eat at a hamburger joint and it tastes like s***, I don't go back there again later hoping they changed the recipe. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Glad you've had good luck with your RAM. I haven't had so much as a hiccup out of the five F-Series trucks I've owned over the years.
I've owned Mopars for over 43 years and no problems to speak of. All the manufacturers have a service department for more than oil changes.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hamburgers, try the Snack Shack St Paul AR 72760. Ole fashion hamburgers and such, I don't think they have web site.

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
whats the price difference between an 8.5ft wide trailer vs a 7ft with a exit door?
I have an 8.5 x 28. I prefer a narrower trailer for a SxS, because the wide trailers are significantly wider than the truck. You have to be always mindful of curbs or running off the pavement edges on narrow roads. It’s a great interstate trailer but it’s a handful on back roads.

Re the price, I’d say there’s little difference between paying for extra width vs an extra door.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those of you who followed, I purchased a new all aluminum Lightning 7x14 tandem axle trailer not long after I bought my P1K5. Long story short, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to get in and out of once the bike was in the trailer, so ... I sold it last fall. I was able to recoup all but $270 of the original purchase price (can't complain).

I think I'm getting ready to order a new one. Same trailer brand, same everything, except a few changes. Not only will it be 2' longer (7x16), but it will include the UTV 'escape hatch' on the left side. And this will be all black instead of two-tone black/silver of the last one (my pickup is black with very only a few touches of chrome).

Anyway, my other choice is ceiling height. I can get it with the typical UTV height of a 7' tall ceiling, but can also add yet another 6" and get a 7' 6" height. That seems really TALL for an enclosed cargo trailer, but it does future proof it somewhat. With that last trailer I bought, it had the 7' ceiling and the P1K5 did get in and out with some room to spare. However, I still have to install my Fox3 shocks fitted with aftermarket springs, and I know that's going to raise it up a bit. I don't necessarily plan on lifts/portals/similar, but you never know.

Would the extra 6" of height make much of a difference towing? My main concern is stability and the wind, whether from the sides or front. I have a 2021 Ford F150 5.0L 4x4 Crew Cab with the 6.5' bed.

I know some of you tow MUCH larger toy haulers but assume most pull with heavier 3/4 or 1 ton pickup trucks, most likely a lot of diesels (sure do miss my 2017 F350 SuperDuty Powerstroke!).

Appreciate the input.
I think you’d be happier with a 8x16 or wider than the side hatch thing. Of the trailers I’ve seen that had them, you still had to be a gymnast to get out of the buggy, duck under the side door, and then take a huge step down off the fender.

the side door is likely adding weight and maybe some sealing or alignment problems down the road too.

1/2 ton trucks can pull pretty good as long as you feed them the fuel……BUT you’re never going to beat a HD truck pulling enclosed trailers / campers in windy situations or weather. It comes down to frequency and comfort level in my opinion.

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We have a 8.5x16 with the extended height (7.6). I bought it when trailers were hard to find and drive 600 miles to get it. The P1K fits perfect and it’s easy to get in/out!
The V-nose version would have been my choice but, we could not locate one at that time. The dealers I talk to could also not assure me a delivery date if we had ordered one.

Last edited:
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Misery loves company 🤣 🤣 🤣

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
1/2 ton trucks can pull pretty good as long as you feed them the fuel……BUT you’re never going to beat a HD truck pulling enclosed trailers / campers in windy situations or weather. It comes down to frequency and comfort level in my opinion.
I don't disagree at all.

Before my current half-ton, I had a '17 F350 PowerStroke SuperDuty Crew Cab 4x4. It's likely the only truck I wish I had never sold, but that also means I'd be paying $5/gal for fuel. It was my favorite vehicle when towing or hauling, but not when unloaded. Beyond that, that same truck I paid $79K for brand new would run me just under $98K today. These last few years have just made things stupid.

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!