P1000 Engine coolant heater

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just got a new 2021 1000 and I use it daily on the farm. When I need it the most is when the weather is bad and cold. I thinking about and engine coolant heater to help starting when its below 20 F or well be 0. I wanting to know if anyone has used one and what type and if works good? I have read one post on here from several years ago about and install but I want to see if there's an newer installs lately.

Reactions: Lady01
Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I live in Northern Iowa and I purchased my 2018 Pioneer 1000 in Oct2021.
I told the wife it was for plowing snow, so I needed it. ;) shush now, she agreed. haha
And then I was researching the same thing you are. I needed to start in the cold.
Didn't find much information about the heaters. Did find information about our machines.
They are fuel injected, and that seems to be the main point right there. They start in the cold. Mine does anyway. I plug in my battery tender every time I shut off the Honda. I also at this time still have a 1000cca battery, hooked up in parallel, sitting on my floor to help with the winch. I'll add my secondary battery when it warms up in spring.
No, I do not have a nice heated garage. Haha
Here is one of our cool days.

and my snow plowing helper

On that day,
turned on the key, waited on the fuel pump couple seconds
crank, crank, crank, fire, run a few seconds and died
key off, key on wait on fuel pump couple seconds
crank, crank, fire and run.
Then I went back in the house for about 20-30 minutes and let it warm up.
And by that, I mean I let the engine oil warm up, so it can warm the transmission as they share the same oil. Cold thick trans fluid has been known to slip the clutches, and we don't want that.
I know, I know, the coolant heater would help some.
No lift and no pit to easily work on things, and I just didn't want to cut into my cooling system and possibly get an air bubble.
Hopefully someone will chime in with knowledge about their coolant heater.
I thought you should know just how well our Honda's start in the cold.
I am no longer concerned. My Honda starts in the cold.
Have a good day

Reactions: Lady01
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I told the wife it was for plowing snow, so I needed it. ;) shush now, she agreed. haha
And then I was researching the same thing you are. I needed to start in the cold.
Didn't find much information about the heaters. Did find information about our machines.
They are fuel injected, and that seems to be the main point right there. They start in the cold. Mine does anyway. I plug in my battery tender every time I shut off the Honda. I also at this time still have a 1000cca battery, hooked up in parallel, sitting on my floor to help with the winch. I'll add my secondary battery when it warms up in spring.
View attachment 322140
View attachment 322144
View attachment 322145
On that day,
And by that, I mean I let the engine oil warm up, so it can warm the transmission as they share the same oil. Cold thick trans fluid has been known to slip the clutches, and we don't want that.
No lift and no pit to easily work on things, and I just didn't want to cut into my cooling system and possibly get an air bubble.
Have a good day
Well, I see what I need. A 1000 cranking amp battery. There is no doubt that thing should turn over with that battery set up. A real battery from factory in these things would help solve a lot of problems. I was going to add the battery tender and I'm thinking a battery heater pad, like for snowmobiles. I have a hard cab and heater in mine and that's why I was thinking about some type of coolant heater to help it warm up faster. I'm thinking someone out there has to have figured out the right set by now, these things has been out there for a while. The only thing I'm seeing online is inline lower radiator hose heates that may work. I talked to Zero Stat and Kat's and they would not recommend one of their coolant heaters for the unit. They wouldn't they would not work on it the people talked just didn't feel like the could say it would work with the machine. I don't think they have much interest in the UTV market since most people only ride when the weather is nice. They both suggested oil pan heates. But I did see Articat sells one and company called Kempix but I haven't taken the time to call and get the info. I really need this thing when it's cold. It can't not start or my day is gona suck. Thanks for the info.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 322140
View attachment 322144
View attachment 322145
On that day,
Have a good day
Oh, good looking dog you got there.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We use one of the magnetic ones on all of our deisel equipment. I’m not sure what the oil pan is on Honda, but they work awesome.

Something like this. We use a small one and plug it in overnight so it starts in the morning.
82E54A24 028D 4496 B7E9 981C70F63806

Reactions: Lady01 and Buggyman
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I have never needed one on my P1k5.

Having a good battery and ethanol free, fresh fuel is more important in the really cold temperatures.

Reactions: Lady01 and Buggyman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!