P1000m5 Engine cooling fan problems

P

Poppa

Aug 30, 2018
Greenwell Springs, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 and recently started having issues with engine fan. It may be that my hearing is failing, but I have noticed that the fan does not seem to move as much air as it used to. I have checked the fan and it does not appear to be binding In any way. The last 3 times I have run it, the Temperature light has come on. I have checked the water and tried to purge any air that may be entrapped in the system but to no avail. In the past, whenever I turned off the engine while the radiator fan was running, it would come back on whenever I turned the key to accessory. But now it will only come on when I start the engine. Supposedly, the ECU was reflashed last year when I had it serviced for the accelerator recall and that reflash was suppose to modify something associated with the cooling system. I had no issues last year, but now it appears to be overheating on every trip.. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems. I have done a search prior to this post and have not found similar problems. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations..

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 and recently started having issues with engine fan. It may be that my hearing is failing, but I have noticed that the fan does not seem to move as much air as it used to. I have checked the fan and it does not appear to be binding In any way. The last 3 times I have run it, the Temperature light has come on. I have checked the water and tried to purge any air that may be entrapped in the system but to no avail. In the past, whenever I turned off the engine while the radiator fan was running, it would come back on whenever I turned the key to accessory. But now it will only come on when I start the engine. Supposedly, the ECU was reflashed last year when I had it serviced for the accelerator recall and that reflash was suppose to modify something associated with the cooling system. I had no issues last year, but now it appears to be overheating on every trip.. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems. I have done a search prior to this post and have not found similar problems. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations..
I have a 2018 that hasn't had the reflash yet. I did have it overheat 1 time due to the fan not coming on. My fan has never come on without the motor running. I've overheated 2 other times but it was because of a clogged radiator. 1 time it was clogged solid. The other time the radiator looked clean but had enough mud hidden inside the fins from the previous ride, to cause it to overheat on a long slow hill climb. I have 5500 miles on it now and I just watch my temp gauge like a hawk. U can buy a fan override switch from the club store, that allows u to turn the fan on any time u want. I dont know if that will help your problem.

Reactions: JenElio
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Its out of stock.

Reactions: Isaiah and JenElio
P

Poppa

Aug 30, 2018
Greenwell Springs, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Its out of stock.
Thanks TripleB, I have tried to keep radiator fins clean, but will check them again when I get back to the camp. I may have to purchase the override when they get them back in stock. Thanks again.

Reactions: Isaiah and JenElio
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks TripleB, I have tried to keep radiator fins clean, but will check them again when I get back to the camp. I may have to purchase the override when they get them back in stock. Thanks again.
I carry a small portable pressure washer with me in case of a clogged radiator. The time I overheated and thought my radiator was clean, we rode 25 miles in zero mud. I was also the leader, so my radiator wasn't eating dust before I had the problem on that long slow climb. I hadn't washed my machine from the ride before but my radiator looked clean as a whistle. When we got to a creek to wash out my radiator, it looked like chocolate milk coming out the backside. Thats where I would start. I've not seen anyone have problems from a weak fan but there could always be a first.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Mine overheated for the first time on my last out of town trip to north FL. I thought I cleaned all the mudd off of it from the last rip but it was clogged up pretty bad on the backside of the radiator right by the fan, hard to see it without sticking my head up in there. Also had some mud built up on the bottom/inside part of the fan shroud that was stopping the fan from spinning. Like mentioned I would just make sure the radiator is clean as a whistle and give it a try.

Good luck

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
There is also a pressure release nut right under the middle area of the front seat that works well for when trying to burp the cooling system.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!