P1000 Engine Oil Filter Cover

D

djhege

Nov 21, 2018
nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I changed my oil at 100 miles. I followed the specs in the “Oil Change” post. Looked yesterday and saw some oil around the bottom of the Engine Oil Filter Cover and on the DCT Filter Cover. Both covers appeared to be seated straight and I KNOW the o-rings were seated properly. So I began checking the bolts to the filter covers. I torqued them all to 9lbs during the oil change. As I got to the bottom right bolt on the Engine filter, I noticed it was loose. I tightened it with my finger to start. Then as I put the socket on to finish tightening, the head snapped off, maybe 1/8 inch below the head. I hadn’t even put any pressure on it to tightened? Has anyone else had this issue? Do you think it’s a defect in the lot of bolts used to manufacture my machine? What do you think I should do moving forward? I was able to get the broken bolt from the hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hondasxs and sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I changed my oil at 100 miles. I followed the specs in the “Oil Change” post. Looked yesterday and saw some oil around the bottom of the Engine Oil Filter Cover and on the DCT Filter Cover. Both covers appeared to be seated straight and I KNOW I the o-rings were seated properly. So I began checking the bolts to the filters. I torqued them all to 9lbs during the oil change. As I got to the bottom right bolt on the Engine filter, I noticed it was loose. I tightened it with my finger to start. Then as I put the socket on to finish tightening, the head snapped off, maybe 1/8 inch below the head. I hadn’t even put any pressure on it to tightened? Has anyone else had this issue? Do you think it’s a defect in the lot of bolts used to manufacture my machine? What do you think I should do moving forward? I was able to get the broken bolt from the hole.
At least you were able to get the broken part out. I would just get a replacement and forget about it.

D

djhege

Nov 21, 2018
nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At least you were able to get the broken part out. I would just get a replacement and forget about it.
What about warranty work down the road?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What about warranty work down the road?
???
That's not effected.

That's great you got the bolt out.

There have been a handfull of people who used torque wrenchs and snapped them. I HIGHLY recomend NOT using one and feeling the bolt out. You should be able to feel when its tight and when it's about to pop. Good and snug using a 1/4 ratchet is all u need.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing and sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
???
That's not effected.

That's great you got the bolt out.

There have been a handfull of people who used torque wrenchs and snapped them. I HIGHLY recomend NOT using one and feeling the bolt out. You should be able to feel when its tight and when it's about to pop. Good and snug using a 1/4 ratchet is all u need.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I agree, also make sure the threads are clean on your bolts so you can feel it getting tight.