P1000m5 Engine problems with nearly-new 2016 1000-5 dlx

C

cboles

May 10, 2018
San Francisco / Donner Pass
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any update?
Sorry for the silence. The other week I trailered it back down the mountains to a Honda dealer to have them do the three free service bulletins on the SxS (clutch, muffler and seat heat shield). I asked them to look into the stalling issue at the same time. The tech there was guessing that it was the fuel injector connector crimp quality issue, but I'm a little skeptical considering how tightly coupled the problem is to the motor heating up.

They were very backlogged in their service work so they just started on it yesterday and I hope to pick it up later today and take it back up to the property. I'll let everyone know the outcome as soon as I know myself.

Reactions: JWB and BWAF
K

kdgtrapper

Jan 9, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry for the silence. The other week I trailered it back down the mountains to a Honda dealer to have them do the three free service bulletins on the SxS (clutch, muffler and seat heat shield). I asked them to look into the stalling issue at the same time. The tech there was guessing that it was the fuel injector connector crimp quality issue, but I'm a little skeptical considering how tightly coupled the problem is to the motor heating up.

They were very backlogged in their service work so they just started on it yesterday and I hope to pick it up later today and take it back up to the property. I'll let everyone know the outcome as soon as I know myself.

I just read your post. I haven’t been on here for almost a year. When I read your post it sounded like the exact same problem I experienced a year ago. I was skeptical like you and was worried the shop would be able to diagnose the problem. Within thirty minutes they told me the same thing they told you about that injectors wire being crimped too tight. They said they’ve replaced 8 wiring harnesses due to the manufacturing over crimping those wires. They waited for Honda rep who said the had some “pig tail fix” instead of replacing the entire wiring harness. The Honda rep said it wasn’t going to be “approved” in time. So they replaced the entire harness and I’ve never had a problem since. It had about 1100 miles when that happen and now I have 3500 miles. Hope it doesn’t take them long and you get it back with no future problem. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was this only a problem on 2016? I have a 2017 which’s is out of warranty but has only 500 miles on it. It’s been rock solid so far. Hope it doesn’t gain any gremlins as the miles rack up.

C

cboles

May 10, 2018
San Francisco / Donner Pass
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry to not follow up on this sooner. I wanted to spend some time with the machine before declaring that my problems were solved. So far I haven't had any issues after taking it to a dealer. Here is what they (and I) did:

• replace injector wiring
  • perform clutch TSB upgrade
  • perform heat shield TSB upgrades (seat and muffler)
  • flush lubricants from diffs several times as water was found in there (makes me wonder if previous owner had swamped the thing)
  • new fuel
Since then it has been running great with no issues. Another real test will come in Spring / Summer when the snow melts and we will see how it runs in similar conditions to when I first had these issues, but I suspect it will not.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was this only a problem on 2016? I have a 2017 which’s is out of warranty but has only 500 miles on it. It’s been rock solid so far. Hope it doesn’t gain any gremlins as the miles rack up.
Pretty common issue on the 2016's. I think I was one of the first on the forum to experience it. I have a thread going with some pics, diagnostics etc.

Sorry to not follow up on this sooner. I wanted to spend some time with the machine before declaring that my problems were solved. So far I haven't had any issues after taking it to a dealer. Here is what they (and I) did:

• replace injector wiring
  • perform clutch TSB upgrade
  • perform heat shield TSB upgrades (seat and muffler)
  • flush lubricants from diffs several times as water was found in there (makes me wonder if previous owner had swamped the thing)
  • new fuel
Since then it has been running great with no issues. Another real test will come in Spring / Summer when the snow melts and we will see how it runs in similar conditions to when I first had these issues, but I suspect it will not.
You should have a pretty solid machine now!

OldTruckie

OldTruckie

Feb 13, 2017
Bullhead City, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fuel rear fuel injector wiring harness crimp problem. Had this problem with my '16 1K-5. Saw the other instances of it occurring on the forum. Had to go to dealer for accelerator recall anyway so I had them "diagnose" the problem. I sent along a copy of the forum pages and pics. I explained the code(one long and three short) to the service writer and he just kinda tried to blow me off. After my machine went in the shop the service writer called me back as asked and said MY diagnosis was right and the repair would be $160 and change. Fine with me. They repaired it, it runs like a brand new machine(if not better) and I am satisfied.

Reactions: dilligaff82

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!