P1000m5 Engine problems with nearly-new 2016 1000-5 dlx

C

cboles

May 10, 2018
San Francisco / Donner Pass
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently bought a late 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 deluxe from a family of MX / enduro racers who didn't have room to bring it along in their toy hauler along with all of their bikes to events. It had about 100 miles and 30 hours on it when I bought it from them in what appeared to be good shape. They seem to be good honest people that also have several mechanics in the family. I didn't get much chance to drive it initially other than to pop it up on a trailer, but everything seemed fine.

A few days later I took the Honda SxS on a trailer from San Francisco up to our property near Donner Pass at an elevation of about 6800'. The air temp was about 60F out and most of the snow has melted. My plan was to drive the vehicle in on a 2.5mi road to a shipping container on our property where we will use it in the snow-free months. It was still too early to drive my truck on this road.

Unfortunately, I had some serious engine problems when driving it the level 2.5 miles in to our property. It cold started up fine in the parking lot and I drove it about 1/4 mile in though a mix of dirt patches and snow up to a foot deep at a very conservative pace (walking speed or slower) when the engine lost power and stalled out on me. It had a hard time restarting and it would not idle - I had to keep the RPMs at 2k or above to keep it running, but it would stall again if I tried to put it in gear - basically no power.

I decided to give the machine a rest while I looked it over to see if there was any obvious issues:

* Air pre-filter looked fine (did not open the main air filter compartment)
* Coolant temperature shown on the dash was "2/4" bars, which I think is normal
* Coolant level was OK (I checked this a bit later)
* Fuel cap breather was OK (no vacuum in fuel tank)

Foolishly, I didn't have much in the way of tools with me, so I couldn't get too adventurous with taking apart more.

After waiting 30-45min, it started right up again and was behaving normally. However, I didn't get very far before the same issue happened again. It really seemed to be behaving as if the engine was overheating, even though the coolant temperature on the dash seemed normal. I also found it strange that I almost never heard the electric radiator fan cycling during all this time. I have heard it come on in the past, but not during this issue. The coolant itself did not seem extraordinarily hot and there was no boiling over to the overflow tank happening. There was a fading hissing sound at the motor after it would stall, but I was guessing that was some sort of vacuum system or compression leak-down.

This happened several more times to get the full 2.5mi in and took a couple of hours total. Basically the machine has little power and the motor quickly reaches a point where it stalls out once it warms up. The issue seems thermally related, but the normal coolant temps are baffling to me. For a moment I thought that the coolant temp sensor may be bad, but it does in fact drop to one bar if you let the vehicle cool down enough. I am using this at 6800' of altitude, but this is a fuel injected motor with I assume either a mass airflow sensor and / or manifold and ambient air pressure sensors, so it should be getting the AFRs right at any altitude. Air temps were around 60F, so other than the altitude there were no real extreme demands on the motor.

Obviously, I also sent an email to the previous owners to see if they might know what is going on, but I figured you folks might have seen an issue like this before.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It hasn't happened to me, but I've seen other discussions on here about very similar circumstances. Air somehow gets trapped on the cooling system and needs to be "burped" out. You can search all the different methods on here how to get it done but basically the front end needs to be elevated, higher the better, and then you run the machine with the radiator cap off. Fill coolant as needed as the air is expelled. It appears this has worked for 90% of the guys that had this issue. Again, this is hearsay. I'm sure guys will chime in soon as the sun rises.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Grab your phone and upload a video of the codes on the dash to youtube.
When it starts stalling. Stop, grab phone, start recording. when it dies DO NOT TURN OFF KEY, video the dash for a good 30-40 seconds.
I have an idea of what it is, but need confirmation of your codes.

C

cboles

May 10, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that there was no CEL or error codes going on through all of this. The ECM seems to be thinking that everything is fine, yet it is running poorly. The biggest hassle with all of this is that the SxS is in a remote location that is a four hour drive away. If it was at my shop I could try a number of things quickly, although I live in a city so I cant really drive it around to really test it under load. I'm trying to gather all ideas as to what it could be so that I can come back to the property with all of the tools and possible parts I need to fix it in one shot.

Reactions: Lady01 and BWAF
C

cboles

May 10, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It hasn't happened to me, but I've seen other discussions on here about very similar circumstances. Air somehow gets trapped on the cooling system and needs to be "burped" out. You can search all the different methods on here how to get it done but basically the front end needs to be elevated, higher the better, and then you run the machine with the radiator cap off. Fill coolant as needed as the air is expelled. It appears this has worked for 90% of the guys that had this issue. Again, this is hearsay. I'm sure guys will chime in soon as the sun rises.

That was one of the things I was thinking as I have seen that happen with motors I have built where it is very hard to get coolant in all of the passages initially. One would think that in a very off-road capable machine like this where the machine could be far from level that it would have a cooling system layout where this doesn't happen. I ordered the service manual but have not received it yet. Is the water temp sensor on the radiator or back at the engine? If at the radiator, an air trap really makes sense.

Reactions: Lady01 and BWAF
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That was one of the things I was thinking as I have seen that happen with motors I have built where it is very hard to get coolant in all of the passages initially. One would think that in a very off-road capable machine like this where the machine could be far from level that it would have a cooling system layout where this doesn't happen. I ordered the service manual but have not received it yet. Is the water temp sensor on the radiator or back at the engine? If at the radiator, an air trap really makes sense.

I don’t think air trapped in the coolant system has given any one run ability issues, it just makes them over heat, it sounded like in your original post you said it never got above 2 bars. But just in case, the service manual tells you to bleed the air from the system using the 10mm headed bolt at the thermostat housing, mine the head was painted blue, right next to the temp sensor I assume. To get at it you will have to remove the front seat back

Ff490a9f195a472d77c6e633e9f3b6e0326c74d6902e10f37ddbea8255699571

Might want to check for tight and clean battery and ground connections, maybe try to get some fresh fuel in it also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My crystal ball is broken, pulling the trigger on the parts cannon is going to be expensive. Get it home to your shop and we will be glad to help.

J

JTW

Are you sure it’s a 16 and not a 17... did you have your seatbelt on?

Reactions: BWAF
advertisement
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If he really meant it stalled.. the no code is odd to me.
If the machine gave me problems so far from home. I would have loaded it back on the trailer and brought it home to fix it.

C

cboles

May 10, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any updates?
I haven't heard back from the previous owner yet. I won't be able to make it out to the property for at least another week when the snow has melted and street-legal vehicles are allowed in on the road so that I can drive my truck in an brings some tools, or at least a trailer. I've mostly just been looking for ideas as to what I should plan to check out when I finally get to go see it again.

C

cboles

May 10, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My crystal ball is broken, pulling the trigger on the parts cannon is going to be expensive. Get it home to your shop and we will be glad to help.
Unfortunately I can do that for a couple of weeks and it's pretty inconvenient as I don't own a trailer, so I have to rent one each time. The property is quite large but I can't keep a trailer there as the snowfall is so high (720" the previous season, with about 20' of packed snow) that it will get destroyed. In my mind I was opting to buy a highly reliable vehicle where I wouldn't be servicing it much and since it was going to live it's life on that property, I wasn't even going to need a trailer after the initial drop-off. Obviously my best laid plans are changing... ;). I wasn't aware of the recalls until recently either, so I will need to bring it down the hill for that anyway.

C

cboles

May 10, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you sure it’s a 16 and not a 17... did you have your seatbelt on?
The title says so. I haven't check the plate on the body if there is one. The VIN is 1HFVE04JXG4000xxx.

I was wearing my seatbelt. In trying so many things, I'm sure there was at least one time I wasn't wearing it when I tried to start it, but I don't think that was the issue. I could get the motor to start usually after a few tries, but maintaining idle and not stalling once in gear was a problem until it cooled off for a while.

C

cboles

May 10, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the machine gave me problems so far from home. I would have loaded it back on the trailer and brought it home to fix it.
Unfortunately, I was pretty far in before I realized it wasn't running right in a way I wasn't going to be able to figure out and fix and it was getting late. It would have been big trouble to abandon it overnight on the trail it was on before getting to my property. Large tracked electric utility vehicles travel that trail almost daily (they were there that day), and my SxS could have blocked them from returning. I have special permission to operate my OHV on that road but they are otherwise not allowed in that area. Once I got it to my property line a few miles in I could at least not worry about blocking the main road. It still took another hour of travel on my property to get it to the container the rate things we going. I packed it up and hiked out in the snow and by the time I got back it was getting dark. I live in the middle of the city downtown and even though I have a big workshop here I don't have a dyno, so the only good way I have to drive it under load is on the street which would bring unwanted police attention pretty quickly. You definitely have to make the engine work a bit before the problem manifests, which is why I didn't notice it before when I bought it.

I'll bring a truckload of tools in a week or two and should be able to do most of the things I could do at the shop. I want to believe this is something simple as the vehicle is pretty new.

Reactions: BWAF and OnTheJob
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly,
It may be cheaper to rent a trailer again and bring it home.
At the minimum, I would bring a coil, set of wires, set of plugs, and some wiring tools upon your return.
Could be an ignition problem or mice eating wiring.

The seatbelt suggestion is for 2017 and newer. Honda installed a seatbelt lockout. If your seatbelt is not in use, Honda limits the speed to 15mph.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm curious if he may not have some water in fuel tank. Either from dipping vent tube on passenger side under water or pressure washing the frame tubing where vent line is routed.

If not that, definitely could be one of the 3 ground wires. There is threads here about that with many good suggestions from member @HondaTech. May want to search his postings for answers

C

cboles

May 10, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm curious if he may not have some water in fuel tank. Either from dipping vent tube on passenger side under water or pressure washing the frame tubing where vent line is routed.

If not that, definitely could be one of the 3 ground wires. There is threads here about that with many good suggestions from member @HondaTech. May want to search his postings for answers
Thanks. Wouldn't a fuel issue be present at all times though? The vehicle seems to run fine and have power when it is cold or at least hasn't been working much. I will be bringing new fuel and will check the ground wires. I have the service manual now so at least I can find where everything is.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!