Engine and transmission problems

alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
I just bought a used 2017 P1K5 with 3400 miles on it.
I think I got so excited to finally have one, that I overlooked some flaws that I noticed on the test ride.

Previous owner just had it serviced and coolant system flushed due to over heating. They sent me the invoice to show what had been done.

On the test ride, I said to my buddy that I didn't think it had the power or speed that I though it ought to have. He reassured me that it was probably fine.

I get it home and ride down the road, runs great in lower gears but doesn't have any top end power. It shifts firmly in the first couple of gears but then won't automatically shift from 5 to 6 unless you let off the throttle. If you hit the paddle shifter it'll shift firmly into 6th.

Once in 6th gear it'll only go 40mph for a second and then slowly bogs down to less than 20. Let off the throttle and back into it and it is revived, has good power again.

After that run I headed home and it overheated spewing coolant out the over flow and steaming like crazy.
I let it cool a bit and made it home.

I've researched on here about the overheating issue and I will try to burp the system and make sure the fan kick on when it should. My main concern at this point is the lack of power, speed and tranny not shifting properly.

I've searched the forums and haven't seen any posts with the exact problems I've got. Does anyone have any ideas or links to posts that would help?

Thanks, a first time SxS owner!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

Miles?
That year model had an update for a cooling fan issue.
If you'll shoot me your VIN I can look it up for and see if it's been done.

As far as the running issue.

Does it sound like it's idling on both cylinders? There are a few years known to have bad injector wiring crimps causing dropped cylinders, but usually a CEL lis shown as well.

Check the oil level, overfilling can cause problems. Have a look at the air filter as well.

Some 2017 models could also need the clutch update, there's a way to check for that as well.

alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
It has 3,275 miles.
Vin: 1HFVE04T5H4100276

Yes, it sounds like it's idling perfect to me. Oil level is prefect as well.

I messed with the injector wiring a bit but it didn't seem to make any difference. There is no CEL coming on the dash.

A couple screw heads are striped out on the air intake lid so I wasn't able to get that off. I will try again tomorrow to get a look at the air filter.

I did pull the spark plugs and they look pretty good with minimal fouling. I will put new ones in tomorrow.

Also I ordered a fuel pump although I doubt that's the issue either. But I'd like to try all the simple things before sending it to a dealer and have thousands more in labor.

Thanks for the help!

alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
Also should I check compression to make sure the head gasket isn't blown from overheating?
What should the compression be? And is there a specific adapter to get down to the spark plug thread's since the valve cover is so deep?

Or should I pressurize the coolant system to check for head gasket leaks?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@alexp9110
First off….Welcome from Michigan

Says in your profile that your from US, where is that? Never heard of the State called US 🤔🤣 might want to fix that.

Also, we like Pics of your rig when you join. Its an unspoken forum bible vrs here called…
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

You also never said if you had the clutch update on that rig? Id check that first, if its not been done that might be a good portion of your problem. Its worth checking.

alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
Here are some pics of my busted unit.
It looks to me like the clutch cover update has been done.
See last picture. Does that look like the updated cover with bump-outs? 1c51c685c1f56b363e5e0aec6d4686987ef6800a14127a90618b1c989ef7b4ab89e309168c7e82b39133769fc6ff4aacD389b88e0bf48e3b64da8d28cbd5a468Fd836e0018ef3a0e54f836e083df0e98

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thank you! Hopefully the Honda veterans on this site can get me lined out without having to go to the dealership!
we will do all we can! you have @HondaTech on it so….
Also, make sure all the recalls and updates are done. The clutch update was so i would assume the others have been as well but doesn't hurt to check. You find them in the search up top Of this site.

It still says your from the State called US! 🤨 Where you located? Or do u have a warrent and dont want to get cought 🤣

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I get it home and ride down the road, runs great in lower gears but doesn't have any top end power. It shifts firmly in the first couple of gears but then won't automatically shift from 5 to 6 unless you let off the throttle. If you hit the paddle shifter it'll shift firmly into 6th.

Once in 6th gear it'll only go 40mph for a second and then slowly bogs down to less than 20.
Welcome from south Florida

By any chance, are you only testing in low range? Low range will only go about 40mph......just a thought.

I'm sure you'll get it figured out soon with these guys helping out 👍 Good luck!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go through the initialization procedure on your transmission as a preliminary measure.

You need to solve the overheating issue first and then see if you still have power loss. He took it into the dealer because it was overheating, they changed his antifreeze and it's still overheating - that's not good. I think I'd like to talk to that service department to see what they looked into.

There are two bleeders on the coolant system, make sure you do them both. And then make sure your fan is coming on.

alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
we will do all we can! you have @HondaTech on it so….
Also, make sure all the recalls and updates are done. The clutch update was so i would assume the others have been as well but doesn't hurt to check. You find them in the search up top Of this site.

It still says your from the State called US! Where you located? Or do u have a warrent and dont want to get cought
I'm not really sure how to change the state. When I click on it in my profile nothing happens. I'm from the STL area in Missouri.

alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
Welcome from south Florida

By any chance, are you only testing in low range? Low range will only go about 40mph......just a thought.

I'm sure you'll get it figured out soon with these guys helping out Good luck!
No, I had the shift selector in high range. Unless it wasn't actually going into high range for some reason. I haven't put it in low range at all so I will check to make sure that's not an issue! Thanks!

alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
Go through the initialization procedure on your transmission as a preliminary measure.

You need to solve the overheating issue first and then see if you still have power loss. He took it into the dealer because it was overheating, they changed his antifreeze and it's still overheating - that's not good. I think I'd like to talk to that service department to see what they looked into.

There are two bleeders on the coolant system, make sure you do them both. And then make sure your fan is coming on.
I already did the initialization procedure and that didn't seem to make any difference.

The previous owner sent me the service invoice after I told them I was having issues with it after putting less than 10 miles on it.
I'll include the invoice below.
Also the previous owner got in touch with the service tech that flushed the coolant system. He said if it is still over heating after what he did, then it is probably a blown head gasket.
I guess I need to start with a compression test or see if the coolant system holds pressure to check for head gasket issues?

D1fd048175ce11b160d839957c9feb69

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm not really sure how to change the state. When I click on it in my profile nothing happens. I'm from the STL area in Missouri.

You have to get off Taptalk and go to the hondasxs.com web site or on your phone then go to your profile and scroll down and then u are able to change it

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I already did the initialization procedure and that didn't seem to make any difference.

The previous owner sent me the service invoice after I told them I was having issues with it after putting less than 10 miles on it.
I'll include the invoice below.
Also the previous owner got in touch with the service tech that flushed the coolant system. He said if it is still over heating after what he did, then it is probably a blown head gasket.
I guess I need to start with a compression test or see if the coolant system holds pressure to check for head gasket issues?

View attachment 356414
Sounds like ur previous owner might have swamped it and while trying to get it out, reved the sh!t out of it and jacked up 4th & 5th gear in some way and that's not been addressed. I hope u bought it fairly reasonable.

alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
Sounds like ur previous owner might have swamped it and while trying to get it out, reved the sh!t out of it and jacked up 4th & 5th gear in some way and that's not been addressed. I hope u bought it fairly reasonable.
So to fix 4th and 5th gear, would that just be the clutch replacement or would that have more to do with internals of the transmission?

I thought I got it plenty cheap enough considering the price of a new one and the unavailability of new ones, but after having these issues I kind of wish I'd have just ordered a new one.
The previous owner told me they would split the cost of repairs with me, putting in up to $1000. That helps!

I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I think I am plenty capable of working on it, but I just don't know a lot about these things. This forum has already been a huge help!

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So to fix 4th and 5th gear, would that just be the clutch replacement or would that have more to do with internals of the transmission?

I thought I got it plenty cheap enough considering the price of a new one and the unavailability of new ones, but after having these issues I kind of wish I'd have just ordered a new one.
The previous owner told me they would split the cost of repairs with me, putting in up to $1000. That helps!

I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I think I am plenty capable of working on it, but I just don't know a lot about these things. This forum has already been a huge help!

There is alot on this in the search up top that will give u a more in depth insite and how too’s than what I can at this point. Id look and post u a link but theres too many to post. I belive its a complete disassembly for sure tho

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would still make sure the cooling system is properly bled and the fan is coming on as it should before going deeper. I wouldn't seize on the advice of a tech that took in a machine that was overheating, changed the antifreeze, and kicked it out the door.

Compression test would be a good next step.

If someone gets a machine stuck and abuses their clutches, it would usually show up in first gear.

alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
Update:

I added coolant and blead the air via the bleed screws at thermostat and replaced spark plugs. Took it for a ride.

When cool, it ran well, but only topping out at 50mph@ 6000rpm and still won't shift into 6th gear unless using the paddle.

It warmed up after a couple hot laps down the county Rd.

At 2 heat bars the oil light came on and that's when it lacked all power and wouldn't go over 40.
Does the computer derate the engine when oil light comes on?

Got it home and had 4 bars on temp guage. Pulled in the garage and spewed coolant all over the floor.

Back to square one.

Pulled the dipstick to the engine and it is 3.5 inches over the full mark. Not sure whats up with that. Will the oil light come on if over full? Or only when it's low on oil?

On the coolant burping threads I've read, they state that the front end should be lifted to 60° to help get all the bubbles out. I'll lift the front end with my tractor to bleed the air bubbles this time instead of the bleed screws. Also I'll drain the oil and start fresh there.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!