P1000 Super ATV Rhino 2.0 axle boot problems!

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Curious who all has had problems with the boots on the Super ATV Rhino 2.0 axles that have been purchased recently. I installed the TTC 6" long travel kit this past weekend. Got the extended Rhino 2.0 axles through TTC with the lift order. Literally rode it 8 miles home from my father in laws shop after installing the lift, and my wife rode it to town to pick our son up from baseball practice Monday which is 5 miles one way, so 10 miles. She called me today and sent this picture! Less than 20 miles and already have a boot with a hole or tear or something. Needless to say, not real damn impressed! I called Jared at TTC today and he said that this has been a issue here lately on multiple occasions. I will be calling Super ATV this morning and figuring out how they are going to address the issue. Makes me wonder, since Dorman acquired them a while back, are the starting the "cut corners to increase the bottom line" BS way that the giant corporations seem to live by!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Question, do u have steering stops in! I know with lifts iikf you dont have them, you can over steer and tear boots. I did this with mine one time without the stops

Also, pm @SuperATV hes been very good at helping forum members with issues. Ive seen very few qyality issues with there other products since the accusation and not with anything Ive purchased.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Each time I see and read stuff like this, it makes me realize that @JACKAL is far wiser that most when it comes to modding (or not modding) the P1K machines.

Been there, broke that. I buy my machines to ride not work on.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
I'm not familiar with that long travel kit, so I don't know which specific axles you are running. If you're having multiple issues in the same spot, you likely have something rubbing. If this was a first time thing...who knows. Could have been a stick or a rock, or possibly something rubbing somewhere in the suspension cycle, but again...I'm not familiar with that kit so I don't know which axle they are using. Get it up off the ground and and the tire off, and go through the full suspension cycle with the shock off to see if its rubbing anything or pinching. Also, check to make sure the axle can plunge. We don't make an axle specifically for anyone else, so they had to design their kit around one of our axles.

And don't worry about that Dorman stuff. They want to be more like us and they aren't going to change a thing. I just get better health insurance now.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Question, do u have steering stops in! I know with lifts iikf you dont have them, you can over steer and tear boots. I did this with mine one time without the stops

Also, pm @SuperATV hes been very good at helping forum members with issues. Ive seen very few qyality issues with there other products since the accusation and not with anything Ive purchased.
I don't have any steering stops in, but I don't think that there is any more turning travel than before the lift. If anything it seems like less travel. Got with Super ATV customer service today and the are sending me a complete axle to replace the one with the bad boot. Pretty happy in the way the stood behind it, just hoping that I don't need their number in my speed dial! 🤔

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't have any steering stops in, but I don't think that there is any more turning travel than before the lift. If anything it seems like less travel. Got with Super ATV customer service today and the are sending me a complete axle to replace the one with the bad boot. Pretty happy in the way the stood behind it, just hoping that I don't need their number in my speed dial! 🤔
The control arm kit should move the axles forward. This makes a longer wheelbase. A longer wheelbase has a larger turning radius. I would recommend the steering stops.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not familiar with that long travel kit, so I don't know which specific axles you are running. If you're having multiple issues in the same spot, you likely have something rubbing. If this was a first time thing...who knows. Could have been a stick or a rock, or possibly something rubbing somewhere in the suspension cycle, but again...I'm not familiar with that kit so I don't know which axle they are using. Get it up off the ground and and the tire off, and go through the full suspension cycle with the shock off to see if its rubbing anything or pinching. Also, check to make sure the axle can plunge. We don't make an axle specifically for anyone else, so they had to design their kit around one of our axles.

And don't worry about that Dorman stuff. They want to be more like us and they aren't going to change a thing. I just get better health insurance now.
AX-3-64-F-LK6-BT is the number for the replacement axle that customer service sent out today.

Reactions: Remington
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree! Will see what @SuperATV says when he comes on! Unfortunately will have to wait till Monday tho
He's already said his piece.👆 Several posts ago and sounds like solid advice to diagnose the boot tear issue.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
He's already said his piece.👆 Several posts ago and sounds like solid advice to diagnose the boot tear issue.
Oh WTF! I pulled a Smitty! My bad! 🤣

My excuse was the end of a long day for me at work in the heat. My mind wasnt a 100% fo sho.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
AX-3-64-F-LK6-BT is the number for the replacement axle that customer service sent out today.
If there customer service is like everyone else’s I deal with at my job in the mechanical world. There just phone jockeys with no mechanical experience. But they still send u new ones so thats good!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you install the next shaft, stroke both joints (push and pull parallel to the shaft and boot) to ensure the grease is on both sides of the CV. Run for 10-15 min and let the machine cool off then run for 10-15 min again and let it cool off. If the grease is too thick or thin in areas within the boot it'll get too hot and expand the boot like a balloon. The liquid grease will seep out near the clamp generally on the larger OD. After the grease and joints have been heat cycled a few times this issue should go away.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you install the next shaft, stroke both joints (push and pull parallel to the shaft and boot) to ensure the grease is on both sides of the CV. Run for 10-15 min and let the machine cool off then run for 10-15 min again and let it cool off. If the grease is too thick or thin in areas within the boot it'll get too hot and expand the boot like a balloon. The liquid grease will seep out near the clamp generally on the larger OD. After the grease and joints have been heat cycled a few times this issue should go away.
I will definitely make sure that I do that when I install the new shaft they sent out to me.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Where do I find the steering stops that you are recommending that I install?

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!