Engine and transmission problems

H

HondaTech

If overfull on oil they will overheat.

The oil light could mean low, high, or incorrect oil pressure. The PCM only reads transmission oil pressure not engine. Sounds like you might have other issues.

Check the ground next to the starter motor, put a socket on and try to tighten it. They've been known to strip and loosen causing all sorts of problems.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I replaced the antifreeze in mine and followed standard bleeding procedure. There was never a need to raise the front end of the machine. I was following that advice on a 4 stroke sled I had, turned out it was a head gasket.

I mean, it can't hurt I guess, but damn son, get that oil down...

alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
If overfull on oil they will overheat.

The oil light could mean low, high, or incorrect oil pressure. The PCM only reads transmission oil pressure not engine. Sounds like you might have other issues.

Check the ground next to the starter motor, put a socket on and try to tighten it. They've been known to strip and loosen causing all sorts of problems.
I checked the ground connection, bolt was tight and connection was clean with no corrosion.

I drained the oil by removing both front and rear drain plugs(I didn't confuse the tranny drain plug either ) . It appears to have had around 2.5 gallons of oil in the engine. Best I can tell the "mechanic" that recently changed the oil must have only drained it from one plug and then put the amount of oil the book called for without ever checking it? I dunno...

I will start with a fresh oil change and see what happens!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
3.5" over full now? What changed? That's a LOT, btw. Start there!
Yeah I guess when I checked it the first time I just saw that the oil was up to the full line and thought the oil above it was just from rubbing the side of the case while putting the dipstick in and out. I should have paid more attention I guess.

alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
Also I forgot to add that I did pressurize the coolant system to 15psi and it held for about 30 minutes with no leak down. And when I drained the oil it was NOT milkshake. So that tells me the head gasket is A-OK.

alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
Is every Ok now?
I had to work yesterday so I didn't make it by the local dealer to get oil. I'll have hunt around to find somewhere open on a Sunday that has honda oil

Reactions: Smittyp
alexp9110

alexp9110

Sep 28, 2022
US
It appears Tha high oil level was this issue, the whole time.
It had roughly 2.5 - 3 gallons in it. I sure wish I had realized that the first time I checked it.
It just had an oil change so the oil was clear and when I saw it high on the dipstick I just wrote it off as being rubbed against the internals with oil splashed up on them from running it.

Lesson learned, check the easy stuff twice.

Also it shifts a million times better than it did!

To speed is about 63-65 depending on grade. They are supposed to go 67 right? It does have slightly larger tires, 28-10-r14's. I'm guessing that's where the loss is coming from.

Thanks for the help team!

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great, glad you hear you got it solved. It's a shame you can't get good help these days. Everyone makes mistakes. That's Ok on your own ?hit but not on customer ?hit.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It appears Tha high oil level was this issue, the whole time.
It had roughly 2.5 - 3 gallons in it. I sure wish I had realized that the first time I checked it.
It just had an oil change so the oil was clear and when I saw it high on the dipstick I just wrote it off as being rubbed against the internals with oil splashed up on them from running it.

Lesson learned, check the easy stuff twice.

Also it shifts a million times better than it did!

To speed is about 63-65 depending on grade. They are supposed to go 67 right? It does have slightly larger tires, 28-10-r14's. I'm guessing that's where the loss is coming from.

Thanks for the help team!

Good deal, glad it was something simple. The bigger tires make the speedometer off a little. It will read a little less MPH and a little less on actual mileage also.

M

Mickey308

Dec 31, 2016
Montana
Ownership

1. 500
I just bought a used 2017 P1K5 with 3400 miles on it.
I think I got so excited to finally have one, that I overlooked some flaws that I noticed on the test ride.

Previous owner just had it serviced and coolant system flushed due to over heating. They sent me the invoice to show what had been done.

On the test ride, I said to my buddy that I didn't think it had the power or speed that I though it ought to have. He reassured me that it was probably fine.

I get it home and ride down the road, runs great in lower gears but doesn't have any top end power. It shifts firmly in the first couple of gears but then won't automatically shift from 5 to 6 unless you let off the throttle. If you hit the paddle shifter it'll shift firmly into 6th.

Once in 6th gear it'll only go 40mph for a second and then slowly bogs down to less than 20. Let off the throttle and back into it and it is revived, has good power again.

After that run I headed home and it overheated spewing coolant out the over flow and steaming like crazy.
I let it cool a bit and made it home.

I've researched on here about the overheating issue and I will try to burp the system and make sure the fan kick on when it should. My main concern at this point is the lack of power, speed and tranny not shifting properly.

I've searched the forums and haven't seen any posts with the exact problems I've got. Does anyone have any ideas or links to posts that would help?

Thanks, a first time SxS owner!

Make sure your seat belt is closed. Mine just chokes along if I don't click the belt together

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!