Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Will do. But in the moment I was crossing a busy road, so I'm not positive, but I don't think it flashed the code. Only a steady dash on the gear indicator.
The solid "--" in the cluster just means it doesn't know what gear it's in, or the speed vs gear is incorrect, I had this happen on OG Donkey when I swapped the final drive gears, I would get the "--" when the ECM got pissed cause the speed sensor was reading differently than the ECM expected for that gear position.

Reactions: JenElio
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@Hello_Darkness .....aka HondaTech might have some insight.

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thank god it's not something serious like a belt................

• Haha
advertisement
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Myself iam glad the Honda tech is back.And thanks for coming back let the BS go in one ear and out the other.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
🤔I welcomed him back already in another thread just like I said I would. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Don't go stompin' on a dream bro. I have hope that bug will find it's way to his bung hole again.

• Haha
BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So yeah, back to the topic....LOL

@Hello_Darkness I just started digging in on this. After removing about 10 dry pounds of TN mud, I've located my shift motor and cleaned it up. Nothing seems amiss. Wire harnesses are intact etc. If it shifts up consistently /normally but doesn't shift down, I would think the motor itself is probably fine. Is that a logical assumption?? Assuming yes, then that means root cause is whatever tells the polarity to reverse for downshifting. There are only two wires going to the motor so I think I am on the right track. I was also thinking of the gear position sensor. I assume that is what is mounted adjacent to the motor. But again, it seems to always shift up normally, just not down. Your thoughts?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So yeah, back to the topic....LOL

@Hello_Darkness I just started digging in on this. After removing about 10 dry pounds of TN mud, I've located my shift motor and cleaned it up. Nothing seems amiss. Wire harnesses are intact etc. If it shifts up consistently /normally but doesn't shift down, I would think the motor itself is probably fine. Is that a logical assumption?? Assuming yes, then that means root cause is whatever tells the polarity to reverse for downshifting. There are only two wires going to the motor so I think I am on the right track. I was also thinking of the gear position sensor. I assume that is what is mounted adjacent to the motor. But again, it seems to always shift up normally, just not down. Your thoughts?
I'm just going to throw this out there, obviously I'm no H-tech ....... could it possibly be the little tiny fragile tabs in the paddle shifter? I recall someone having one or both go bad one time 🤷‍♂️ could be worth a look

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm just going to throw this out there, obviously I'm no H-tech ....... could it possibly be the little tiny fragile tabs in the paddle shifter? I recall someone having one or both go bad one time 🤷‍♂️ could be worth a look
That would certainly prevent a manual downshift but the auto downshift (regardless of mode) would still happen.

Reactions: ODAMO and JenElio
BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found the code in the manual and went through all the steps checking for voltage, opens and shorts. Everything checked out. I just pulled the shift motor, planning to put 12 volts on it, then reverse polarity to see if it works in both directions. But as it turns out no need. Shift motor is shot. Pretty grindy and the shaft is all sloppy. Honestly, I'm surprised it was working at all. Now question is how quick can I find one

advertisement