P700 Engine Stall on trail

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have an issue of my engine stalling on the trail. I've tried to take notice when it happens and what I was doing when it stalls. Here's what I think I know: The engine stalls when I give it gas and then let off. Usually when I'm about to flip so I let off pretty quick. I read where people mention not letting off the gas abruptly resolved it. However, in these situations that isn't possible. Anyone else experiencing this? Able to find a resolution? It really does suck having to restart my machine while sitting in a precarious situation. I have to hold the brake with my left foot and get it started back up.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Just letting off the gas really quick should not stall it. Letting off quick and then pushing gas really quick again. Or doing it a few times in a row has caused them too stall. Oil overfill helps with smoother gear changing and letting the tranny get oil on steep grades. So I'd go ahead and add some oil. I know the 14 doesn't have the tip over sensor but not sure on the 15-16-17. I don't recall mine ever stalling since I put the UNI air filter and exhaust tip on. Even when I let off and push fast again. Other than what I've said I don't know what it is in your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just letting off the gas really quick should not stall it. Letting off quick and then pushing gas really quick again. Or doing it a few times in a row has caused them too stall. Oil overfill helps with smoother gear changing and letting the tranny get oil on steep grades. So I'd go ahead and add some oil. I know the 14 doesn't have the tip over sensor but not sure on the 15-16-17. I don't recall mine ever stalling since I put the UNI air filter and exhaust tip on. Even when I let off and push fast again. Other than what I've said I don't know what it is in your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It only happens when I'm in a tough situation so I'm not 100% sure. I'm more worried about turning over Lol. I do think it is happening when I let off quick and then gas it. And usually I am on a steep grade. It starts right back up but it is really annoying.
I will try the oil overfill and see if that helps. I planned to change over to synthetic oil this week anyway.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It only happens when I'm in a tough situation so I'm not 100% sure. I'm more worried about turning over Lol. I do think it is happening when I let off quick and then gas it. And usually I am on a steep grade. It starts right back up but it is really annoying.
I will try the oil overfill and see if that helps. I planned to change over to synthetic oil this week anyway.
If you do and more oil keep a eye on your air cleaner for oil and leaks sometimes to much oil can cause your seals to leak.

Reactions: LandPioneer
SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've had the same issues, and ruled it out to how the automatic transmission works. When you're on the gas, and then suddenly let off, the torque converter just doesn't seems to always release quick enough, causing the engine to bog and stall. You can do similar if you hold your foot on the brake, and gas it, it revs to a certain point, then dies. Pretty sure it's just inherent to the design. I *think* since I switched to synthetic it's much better, or I may just have learned better throttle control sub consciously to prevent it from happening more, *shrug*.

advertisement
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well I did my first oil change last night. I'm running Amsoil 10w40. Hopefully this will resolve my issues. I'm going riding this weekend so I'm sure I'll find out!

QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Mine stalls when I "blip" the throttle as well, I'll worry about when/if it doesn't start back up. :)

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Mine stalls when I "blip" the throttle as well, I'll worry about when/if it doesn't start back up. :)
Usually it isn't a big deal but we've been tackling some harder trails lately. When you have 2 wheels off the ground and your d@mn machine dies it is NOT a fun feeling Lol.

Reactions: QuadMan747
SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
That just adds to the excitement! You'll quickly learn how to manipulate the better, and not be so jerky on the rough stuff anyways heh.

Reactions: QuadMan747
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well after a complete ride with some pretty rough terrain I am here to report I had zero stalls. I'm not 100% sure if it was all the oil change or me more aware of how the machine performs. I don't think i drove any different though. I'll report back if I have any stalls over the next few rides...

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well after a complete ride with some pretty rough terrain I am here to report I had zero stalls. I'm not 100% sure if it was all the oil change or me more aware of how the machine performs. I don't think i drove any different though. I'll report back if I have any stalls over the next few rides...
Glad to hear it man

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!