P1000 EPS light key switch problem

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put 62 miles on my new pioneer deluxe. Got home and washed it and was putting some "dome lighting" on it. When finished I started it up and noticed the warning light for the EPS was on. Revved it a little and light went off. Parked it and started it the next day and light came back on. I shut it down and tried to start it again and the unit was dead. When I turned the key the instrument panel was also dead. I noticed the instrument panel would come on if the key was turned about half way but went dead when turned to the on position. Soooo my new pioneer it back at the dealer. He thinks it is the key switch. That does make sense but why would the EPS light come on first?
Oh btw I drug it back to the dealer and it started when at the dealer. The EPS light was still on. I didn't cut or change any factory wiring. The lights hooked up by the accessory plug.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hum...
Kinda sounds like a loose wire somewhere.
EPS would come on if was low on power, meaning it reverts to manual steering.
A low voltage system could cause all this.
If dealer returns... no results.
I would break out a volt meter and start testing.
Test voltage off, Voltage running, and for a Parasitic drain. Google it!
Locate grounds and check those.
Locate any connectors I could find and make sure there good.

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've noticed after I pressure wash mine, it seems hard to crank right after I wash it. I guess something gets wet. I've never had an issue on any other bike doing this.

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealer seems to think if short in key switch it may not sequence right. Still waiting on parts. I agree that it sounds like a loose wire. We will know when switch is replaced.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!