Expanded Metal Floor

H

herd90

Dec 4, 2015
Hello all,

Could anyone recommend a wood choice for covering a 5x13 expanded metal mesh floor? Just purchased a new to me '16 pioneer and need the added support and fastening options not available with the mesh. I'm thinking 5/4 decking and mounting the erickson e chock system. Lastly, where do you think I should fasten the pioneer on the trailer? All the way forward or centered over the axle? Appreciate your thoughts!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
How far are the crossmember? Is the expanded metal welded to the trailer?
The 5/4 should be enough if the crossmember are no more than 24" a part.
The position of your machine depends on your tow vehicle and its towing capacity. I would load the machine on the trailer until the back of the tow vehicle starts to go down. Tie the machine down with ratchet straps and take it out for a test drive. Stop and move it back or forward and drive it again. Find out where the best place for your application. Remember if you add weight to your trailer the position of the Pioneer may need to change.

Reactions: Biteme and herd90
H

herd90

Dec 4, 2015
Crossmembers no more than 18" down to 14" apart. Thanks for the reply. B0a28f74e0c0f54d782ff7fe1e34a9df

Reactions: Biteme
G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How far are the crossmember? Is the expanded metal welded to the trailer?
The 5/4 should be enough if the crossmember are no more than 24" a part.
The position of your machine depends on your tow vehicle and its towing capacity. I would load the machine on the trailer until the back of the tow vehicle starts to go down. Tie the machine down with ratchet straps and take it out for a test drive. Stop and move it back or forward and drive it again. Find out where the best place for your application. Remember if you add weight to your trailer the position of the Pioneer may need to change.
Put ur rear tires directly on top of the trailer axle.you want tongue weight but not the whole machine.That looks like a fairly long trailer for a single axle.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Agree best to experiment with machine position once you get decking down. I borrowed a trailer to pick mine up and i could not get enough tongue weight and it swayed violently above 45mph. Had to go to a local Lowes and buy 4 bags of quickcrete to increase tongue weight so i could make the 120 mile interstate drive safely. Current trailer I pull it all the way to front and it pulls perfectly.

DoubleDee

DoubleDee

Feb 25, 2020
Dallas, GA
Ownership

1. 500
I also have a 5x12 expanded metal floor trailer i use for my P500. It does the job and i like the light weight to take off and move around in those tight space situations. Also like mud washing through it. Less mess. I prefer it over a wood floor trailer and have no issues trailering all over the South East. That stated I’m buying a car hauler so i don’t have to load like this anymore when my boys ride with me but will keep the metal floor trailer when headed to hunting properties by myself.

0653AFBF 1AEC 421B 9AFF C6CBC28C4664

L

Lt_Dan

Oct 9, 2019
Greenwood, SC
I have 2 suggestions. If you plan to get bigger tires and therefore possibly wheel offsets, take that into account on your chock system placement. If it was mine, I would keep the mesh and take it to someone that can weld in some supports underneath between cross members to mount the chock system to.

H

herd90

Dec 4, 2015
Appreciate that advice. I do plan on upgrading tires to 26 but not larger due to the terrain I ride and storage limits. I thought about just adding one or two deck boards per track for attachments or consider something else besides the e track. Thanks again!

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
What are you going to tow with? It looks as though, your tongue weight is going to take the most weight! I would look at other trailer options.

advertisement
H

herd90

Dec 4, 2015
Toyota 4 runner

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Typically, tongue weight should be 10%-15% of the total trailer weight. My trailer + Talon is 2500, so 250 - 375 pounds. My RV is rated at 350 pound tongue weight and I want a cushion so I set the TW at 250 pounds and it tows good that way. Too little tongue weight can cause violent tail wagging, you DO NOT want that. Search 'how to measure tongue weight', it shows how to use a bathroom scale, even if TW is higher than the scale's capacity.

I had to build fender steps for my narrow trailer before I could pick up the Talon, so I had to guess at its placement. With the engine in the rear, that meant the Talon would have to be pulled up tight to the fenders. But when I got the tongue weight measured it was over 350 pounds, higher than my scale would go so I moved it back about a foot to get to 250 pounds. I marked that position for easy duplication.

This shows it moved back from the fenders about a foot with the scale under the tongue at 250 pounds. Since I unhooked the trailer to measure, I put a jackstand under the rear so it wouldn't over-center and tip up. :eek: I also marked the balance point location.

Reactions: Mudwing and herd90
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Looking at the pic, you did well! Remember that Braking distance will be extended.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!