P500 Factory Battery Box Cover Issue

N

NeHunter13

Jan 3, 2022
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 520
Anyone else here have issues with the factory battery box cover not closing completely? I added a tender to the battery and cant really get the cover to close all the way on the box. The issue seems to be where the harness comes up into the fuse block. The design of the cover pushes on the harness before the cover completely closes. I can get the bolts back into the cover and I don't think it will cause any major issues, just annoying that it doesn't have the right design to close all the way.

Here is a picture of the area. I tried moving the harness and the other negative cable leads around but it seems like there is too much stuff in any configuration to get it closed and sealed properly.
Box Cover

Thoughts, or is what it is?

• Sad
Reactions: SORGuy
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Added wires to several P500' & 1 P520 ALL HAVE SAME problem --not enough space & warped cover issue.
Is what it is --Square Hole - 2 Big Round Bumdle Round wires.

Easiest WAY to add wires -- run them wires through Opening ALREADY in -- "Top of the BACK" -- of the Battery Box.
Sorry no pictuers.

Last edited:
N

NeHunter13

Jan 3, 2022
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 520
Added wires to several P500' & 1 P520 ALL HAVE SAME problem --not enough space & warped cover issue.
Is what it is --Square Hole - 2 Big Round Bumdle Round wires.

Easiest WAY to add wires -- run them wires through Opening ALREADY in -- "Top of the BACK" -- of the Battery Box.
Sorry no pictuers.
Good to know. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: pappyo
HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
I added a tender last week.I ran the tender wires down the negative / right side of the battery box. I then tie wrap the tender to negative battery cable wire coming out of the battery box. I gently made room inside the battery box by pushing on existing wiring to make room for the added tender wires.

IMG 20220220 204606 hdr IMG 20220220 204600 hdr IMG 20220220 204603 hdr

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Mine is the same way; added a couple of large cables to the battery for the winch and the box lid won't seat.

I'm going to take it apart soon and try to run the wires in from the back of the box as suggested. I will have the machine apart to add some accessories: turn signals, EPS, locker, lights and new skid plate.

Rob

Reactions: pappyo
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I was out in the barn for something else this morning but snapped a picture as I passed by.
I used a zip tie on the wire outlet thing to hold it closed.
There is no way the plastic cover is going to control the thick wire harness - this is the tail waging the dog.
(I bet the designer of the battery box and cover was fit to be tied when he realized that’s what they where doing)
Zip tie is one of the Honda ones that has a little tab to release the zip tie for adjustment or reuse.
I like theses (hate the battery box).

and yes, the battery tender lead comes out with the thick bundle of wires.
You can see the plug in the lower center of the picture.

F8ABCBD3 334D 48AB B58B DC373807AD8F

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
I'm going to take it apart soon and try to run the wires in from the back of the box as suggested.

Rob

Pappyo said ""Take the Problem Away Form the Battery Box.""
Easiest method-- only run One Hot Positive lead ( 6 gauge or bigger UN - FUSED ) Out of the Back of Battery Box ) to Insulated Busbar >>> pickup as local Auto Parts store be sure it's can handle Battery Cable Amperage. - - Buy busbar with both positive & negative posts.
I usually put a master Shutoff Switch in the Positive wire that will kill All ACCESSORIE draw -- if ever needed.
Or want to work on ACCESSORIES system Without disconnecting the battery.

Locate the buscar in a convenient & easy to get to location for your build -- under hood or -- Under Driver Seat is location I use.
To the Positive stud of the busbar -- to Fuse ACCESSORIES --. Run one 10ga. wire to a fuse block pull acc.power from there.
EVEN the Winch power CAN BE pulled from the Busbar +/-

Attack Ground wire ( 6ga. or bigger ) from a good clean surface on the frame or motor to -Negative stud of busbar.
Attach All ACCESSORIE Grounds to this location.
A Battery Tender Plug can be incrporated in with this wireing ( located in dash or in plastic behind your knees under seat.
Use Dialect Grease All Connections.

Hope makes sense & helps you & others simplify the wiring Delima.

A 2nd battery & Isolator can be easily added to this most of the wireing is already done. & easy accessible.
Picture is of a busbar I make -- Bass stud for Positive --& -- SS stud for Negative.

20220221 135845

Last edited:
Hib

Hib

Lifetime Member
Jan 1, 2021
Far N.E. Iowa
Ownership

1. 500
👍 As pappyo says a very simple solution and eases any future wiring. Did mine the same except red and black bus bar under hood with battery tender wire tied up under passenger side front wheel well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!