P1000 Factory Coolant / Water mix only good to 0 degrees F

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check your factory coolant freezing point!

Just tested my 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 Coolant mix. My Prestone gauge says its only good to 0 degrees F.

A 50 / 50 mix should be rated to -34F.

Can I remove some factory blue and add Prestone (add to any color) automotive coolant? Or do I need to break down and order some Honda Blue coolant?

My Pioneer sleeps in an unheated shed. We get temps down to 0 or -10 a few times during winter.

Reactions: BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you using the proper gauge? I believe there are 2 different bases for coolant. Both use different gauges to determine freeze/boiling point.

Ethylene glycol and propylene glycol.
one tester per glycol.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
As mentioned, there are two coolants, propylene glycol and ethylene glycol. In general, Propylene glycol is often used in motorcycles and these units have aluminum radiators vs. some vehicles with brass. As small as the volume is for a P1000, I would just drain it and put fresh new antifreeze (designed for a motorcycle) and call it a day. Another option you might want to consider in a unheated shed is the use of a tarp over it and just put a 40-60w light bulb underneath the unit and you will be surprised how much warmer the unit will be vs. ambient temperature....

H

HondaTech

As mentioned, there are two coolants, propylene glycol and ethylene glycol. In general, Propylene glycol is often used in motorcycles and these units have aluminum radiators vs. some vehicles with brass. As small as the volume is for a P1000, I would just drain it and put fresh new antifreeze (designed for a motorcycle) and call it a day. Another option you might want to consider in a unheated shed is the use of a tarp over it and just put a 40-60w light bulb underneath the unit and you will be surprised how much warmer the unit will be vs. ambient temperature....

When Honda changed their coolant to the blue color a few years ago they told us it was to "align" their powersports divisions chemicals with the automotive side.

So I'd assume the coolant they use for their cars (also blue) is the exact same.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
ReidMcT

ReidMcT

Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2017
Hunt, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
The Honda blue coolant is ethylene glycol based, according to the MSDS that I read. @2018GMC indicated using a tester that is appropriate for this coolant. So that suggests three possible reasons for the reading he got:
1. The test device is defective
2. The user made a mistake
3. The coolant in the machine is inadequate, for reasons unknown

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Honda blue coolant is ethylene glycol based, according to the MSDS that I read. @2018GMC indicated using a tester that is appropriate for this coolant. So that suggests three possible reasons for the reading he got:
1. The test device is defective
2. The user made a mistake
3. The coolant in the machine is inadequate, for reasons unknown

I vote #3. Tested my vehicles and my new truck came up at -34 protection which = 50/50 mix.

That tells me dealer prep mistake or Honda didn’t include a proper 50/50 mix.

If anyone else tests their factory fill antifreeze, please post your results.

Reactions: 70Bones
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
probably right they messed it up. we have a ton of negative days (months sometimes)here i change all my vehicles cars and quads to 50/50 prestone el when i do the first service and my cars i normally put 20 to 40k/yr and so does the wife never had a problem after. they are the same aluminum and plastic as quads these days. the dexcool that comes in it ive had issues with and why i started changing them. it breaks down the plastic

im going to with the honda, ive run it in everything and it works fine

weird but the kawis i had called for stardard green with frequent changes, put that in that too after flushing good. that was all aluminum.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
i would think if you take some out and add concentrate that till it reads -30 that would be fine, i would imagine the honda stuff is similar enough. i think i might test it and see if i remember, but if it doesnt, for the little more i think i would just drain the rad and that. wouldnt bother flushing i think if you just got most of it would be fine as long as you test it after. that has been the case with automotive stuff ive done that was propylene to begin with

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
i would think if you take some out and add concentrate that till it reads -30 that would be fine, i would imagine the honda stuff is similar enough. i think i might test it and see if i remember, but if it doesnt, for the little more i think i would just drain the rad and that. wouldnt bother flushing i think if you just got most of it would be fine as long as you test it after. that has been the case with automotive stuff ive done that was propylene to begin with
While you're talking about it, Ive been having coolant leaking issues and used a smidge of GM red coolant (Duramax diesel kind) to hold over till I ordered 2 gallons of the blue Honda stuff. Question is, where is the best place to drain/flush a P1K and what is the capacity?

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I attempted to flush the 1000-5 today. Disconnected passenger lower hose from radiator and let fluid drain out. Then hooked up my small Electric blower to the raidiator and was able to force quite a bit of fluid out. Tried hooking blower to lower rad hose but nothing happened. Make sure to clamp off small overflow hose when trying to back flush with air.

Some tiny metal shavings came out. Guessing from the manufacturing process. Filled with prestine Honda blue 50/50 from Walmart.

I used a total of 1.25 gallons. This included filling the overflow tank to between min and max.

There must have been some leftover coolant in the engine since my new coolant tests to -20 instead of -34 when testing straight from the jug.

I elevated front by driving on oil change car ramps and let it warm up until cooling fan came on. Let cool down and it nearly emptied the overflow tank. Must have gotten a lot of air out since I filled it full from radiator before I warmed it up.

FYI - front radiator hoses. Driver side hose is hot hose. Passenger side hose is cold until thermostat opens.

Success, since it never gets to below -20 here and that’s much better than the 0 it tested as from the dealer.

J

JTW

I guess I need to do this... I’m not sure what we put in mine after it over heated at the 17 Takeover.

Reactions: knuckledeep
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Now you guys have got me worried! It's -5* now and supposed to go down tonight but with the windchill, it is supposed to be -30* to -40* in the morning and I'm going to have to plow the driveway a lot to get to out to go to work since we got 18" of snow and have been having strong, blowing winds all day.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So what's the point of using the Honda brand antifreeze?
Just like Honda GN4 vs any other oil.
If you are not going to use the factory anti-freeze, make sure whatever you buy has the same base to it.
Ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are the common bases for anti-freeze. Do not mix them. The coolant has the potential to turn into sludge.
I can't recall which is which though, so I bought 2 1/2 gallons of Honda compatible premix from Wal-Mart.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
ethylene is the "older one" really used and fine for steel and minimal plastic, propylene is the newer one that is what the Honda, dex and prestone el are based on. some may have different additive as well
only thing ive had turn brown that started propylene was the cars ive had and the impalas my mom had and they eat gaskets and black plastic in the Bonneville we had too. they came out with different thicker gaskets and manifold for those and I changed to prestone never had the crap come back but everything was stained brown forever

J

JTW

Just like Honda GN4 vs any other oil.
If you are not going to use the factory anti-freeze, make sure whatever you buy has the same base to it.
Ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are the common bases for anti-freeze. Do not mix them. The coolant has the potential to turn into sludge.
I can't recall which is which though, so I bought 2 1/2 gallons of Honda compatible premix from Wal-Mart.
I usually buy the Preston safe for all colors

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I usually buy the Preston safe for all colors
It isn't the color you need to be concerned with. It is the base glycol used.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!