Fall 2022 Arizona Peace Trail cross country trek - Planning Thread!

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
November will take me off the go list. Arkansas deer season is November

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme and TimG
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
what GPS system do you use? I have a GPX file for the whole trail. it's no unusual to do 100+ miles in a day here in AZ, i regularly do almost 200. Topo Maps, Trail Maps, and Satellite Imagery

don't miss the oasis bar and grill close to Alamo lake. red rock canyon. to name a few, mcguffie cabin maybe will have to back track a little on that one.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
November will take me off the go list. Arkansas deer season is November
Hey ya ole hammerhead 😂 this is a planning and discussion thread and we’re all throwing out ideas…..nothings in concrete yet. So give us some dates that you like lol….

Reactions: Biteme
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
what GPS system do you use? I have a GPX file for the whole trail. it's no unusual to do 100+ miles in a day here in AZ, i regularly do almost 200. Topo Maps, Trail Maps, and Satellite Imagery

don't miss the oasis bar and grill close to Alamo lake. red rock canyon. to name a few, mcguffie cabin maybe will have to back track a little on that one.
That’s cool, thanks for the info. I kind of figured that at least in the southern desert portions of the trail lots of miles could be covered in a day. Of course there’s lots of things we’re going to want to pause and look at along the route, like Alamo Lake and Rock Canyon as you mentioned. Is Nellies bar and Oasis bar the same thing? My wife has all the nav in her phone so I’ll get her to load what you’ve got…😎👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
At this point yes, just need to get a cot to get my old ass off the ground and a higher tent to fit the cot. I will bring a warm sleeping bag so November is fine with me.

I just ordered the atlas so please let me know if I can help with any research.
That’s great. You’ve got ample time to get your gear taken care off. Help with research is more than welcome. I’m still looking for a website or forum that perhaps keeps track of events and happenings, conditions, detours and whatever along the trail like we had for the Montrose to Moab ride…If you find something please do post it for us….

As for timing, if you didn’t see it, all those boys from southern Arkansas are going to bail on us if we do early November so that seems unlikely at this point…..

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I just ordered the atlas so please let me know if I can help with any research.
Of course we are going to have to iron down a start point, so far there’s more interest for a northern start point and it makes me no difference so I’m good with that. Then I guess using the detailed atlas we need to determine what kind of mileage we can make each day according to terrain and sights we want to see so that we can get an idea of where each nights camp or motel will be….Your input on that at the time will be helpful….

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The wife and I are in!
I looked at the https://www.quartzsiteoffroad.com/off-road-atlas.html website last night and will be ordering the 29 page trail atlas this weekend. Since I will be retiring this November anytime works for me, once I get the dates I will put it on my calendar! My vote is for a hotel every 2 or 3 nights and to start somewhere in the norther half of the trail, but I am OK with whatever is decided.
When you get the atlas let us know your thoughts on a starting point and help with decision on the nightly stops for camp/motel….

advertisement
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
That’s cool, thanks for the info. I kind of figured that at least in the southern desert portions of the trail lots of miles could be covered in a day. Of course there’s lots of things we’re going to want to pause and look at along the route, like Alamo Lake and Rock Canyon as you mentioned. Is Nellies bar and Oasis bar the same thing? My wife has all the nav in her phone so I’ll get her to load what you’ve got…😎👍
No those are two different bars. A note about a southern starting place is leaving the vehicles parked for an extend amout of time. The car/truck theft rate is much higher the closer you get to the US boarder.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No those are two different bars. A note about a southern starting place is leaving the vehicles parked for an extend amout of time. The car/truck theft rate is much higher the closer you get to the US boarder.
Good point! More interest is in a northern starting point anyway….

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
510EAB94 3DBC 4A52 A0F6 681ADF3C7C94

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Here is a link to a guy’s YouTube video of riding a quad on the peace trail, give us a view of the trail conditions

Nice. There’s quite a few videos of people on the trail, helps give an idea of trail conditions for sure…

Looks like Kingman is the logical starting point “IF” we do a northern departure and terminus…..

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Towns and cities on the AZPT encourage access to local restaruants, hotels, gas stations and businesses, and AZPT supporters suggest a minimum of 10 days to explore the 675-mile loop’s many historic attractions, like the Nellie E. Saloon (Desert Bar), Native-American petroglyphs, many mines and ghost towns, General Patton’s Camp Horn, the Colorado River, wildlife refuges, Slot Canyon, stone cabins, the Bat Cave and much more.
51E56238 D010 4852 9269 3225527E5B76

Reactions: Biteme and Homer
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Looks like I’m going to have to get myself a second set of wheels and tires in order to have a set of DOT’s for these cross country treks….

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This is quite a side trail. We’d have to camp two nights in a row in the same spot to take this in….👍

“Quartszite has many trails off of the AZPT, including the 78.6-mile Petroglyphs OHV Trail. We also drove part of this trail up Dripping Springs Canyon, a tight box canyon that’s perfect for UTVs. There are a few tight rock-crawling sections getting to Dripping Springs cut-off.”

“Dripping Springs has a pool in a cave that the Native-Americans used, and there are several petroglyphs nearby. Several groups came and went as we ate lunch in the desert, and the trail brought us out very close to camp. It was a great side-trip off of the AZPT.”

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
if i were in your shoes or even suggesting people a starting point. i'd park at Alamo lake, the oasis bar n grill. there is a large parking spot just outside the fence. even an air strip that is used regularly by locals. it's far enough away from major cities to worry about theft, and close enough access wise to be an easy spot.
Just my thoughts. then it's an easy few hour drive to Wickenburg for hotel when the trip is over. or even back to phx or any number of places.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Looks like I’m going to have to get myself a second set of wheels and tires in order to have a set of DOT’s for these cross country treks….
az has no laws on the book about DOT tires. long as you have current registration, review mirror, lighted license plate, and a horn you're street legal in az. that includes the freeways.
i run the KM3's.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!