Fall 2022 Arizona Peace Trail cross country trek - Planning Thread!

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I don't mind having something done. I wouldn't attempt to do it myself. As Clint Eastwood said, "A man has to know his limitations." If it doesn't go boom or bang, I look elsewhere. Part of the problem as I see it, is if I am going to have it done, I want it done for everywhere I am likely to go. There is no such thing as street legal here in Colorado. I think NM, WY, AZ, and UT, all have their own rules and regs for "Street Legal". I mean can I get it done for SD and everyone else is happy or if I forget a parking brake or horn or sideview mirrors, am I then in violation.

When I look at that, it then occurs to me there is licensing required and although CO hits your wallet for titling and OHV license it doesn't compute for elsewhere.

I am open to suggestions....

s/f Steve

Reactions: Biteme
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Yes, I am giving serious thought to attending. My issue isn't so much time as timing. Sporting Clays is what really drives my wheel so I would have to plan around tournaments. Then again, I have had to put all shooting from doves to elk on hold for this past six months. If that happens again, a little back country riding will be perfect.

Thanks Killer223, your lists looks good but I have to have coffee as I am a coffee-aholic. I'll bring the 10 cup pot and stove.

Is there a "recommended" list of mods and a "gotta have" list for your Honda (or whatever for the heathens ;^) ?

Thanks in advance,

s/f Steve
the single burner with the old school percolator coffee maker is what i used.
as for recommended, i kinda mentioned the instant up tent. you don't want to spend 10-15 min each day setting up a tent and another 10-15 taking it down the next morning. and usb charging headlamps and flashlights.
The less stuff and streamlined you can make it the more time you can spend driving or checking the sites. Not fiddeling with setting up camp, tons of cookware, lanterns, etc. was a waste of time for me. if i could pack up quick and be moving it was best for my ride. i was able to stop more often and check out the old mine, and sheep herders cabins, etc.
most of the soft items sleeping pad, bag, pillow, clothes etc. were put into a waterproof pouch from Walmart that was strapped to roof of talon, with cooler and cookware on the back.

i didn't take big coolers or large amounts of food as i'd get some each day from fuel stops, i was spending as little time in camp and setting up camp as i could. i wanted to be fishing, shooting, or driving. sitting at camp was a waste of time for me.
i really liked having a drone. for the pit stops and intermediate breaks and at camp.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
I don't mind having something done. I wouldn't attempt to do it myself. As Clint Eastwood said, "A man has to know his limitations." If it doesn't go boom or bang, I look elsewhere. Part of the problem as I see it, is if I am going to have it done, I want it done for everywhere I am likely to go. There is no such thing as street legal here in Colorado. I think NM, WY, AZ, and UT, all have their own rules and regs for "Street Legal". I mean can I get it done for SD and everyone else is happy or if I forget a parking brake or horn or sideview mirrors, am I then in violation.

When I look at that, it then occurs to me there is licensing required and although CO hits your wallet for titling and OHV license it doesn't compute for elsewhere.

s/f Steve
i'd go with a Montana llc and title as a quadracycle.

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Anybody following this thread from MT? Anything you can share?

s/f Steve

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like I’m going to have to get myself a second set of wheels and tires in order to have a set of DOT’s for these cross country treks….
You won’t need the DOT tires, but I’d recommend 8 ply. Everything in the desert has thorns on it. My first flat on the stock tires was from a branch of mesquite that punched a 1/4” hole in the tire. Second flat was a cactus thorn. Switched to System 3 XCR 350’s, no more flats.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You won’t need the DOT tires, but I’d recommend 8 ply. Everything in the desert has thorns on it. My first flat on the stock tires was from a branch of mesquite that punched a 1/4” hole in the tire. Second flat was a cactus thorn. Switched to System 3 XCR 350’s, no more flats.
Thank you Jon for the good advice….👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

s/f Steve
We did idaho, super easy on line and about $30.00….FWIW

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
We did idaho, super easy on line and about $30.00….FWIW
Will it pass AZ requirements? I presume I would still have to have the needed whatnots and doo-hickeys that AZ requires.

Wouldn't it be nice if Idaho says I'm good, it would be good everywhere. There I go, dreaming. I remember going to UT and staying in Marysville campground and driving all over the place, Paiute Trail (?) for days with my Kawa ATV with nothing more than my CO OHV sticker.
And thanks you guys for your continuous input.

s/f Steve

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Will it pass AZ requirements? I presume I would still have to have the needed whatnots and doo-hickeys that AZ requires.
Sure, it’s a legal plate issued to you by the state. We got them for the Rimrocker trail we all just did from Montrose Colorado to Moab Utah…..

But yes you’ll still need to meet AZ’s street legal status….

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Received pics of the finished Boony Stomper, color scheme matches the Talon. We’re headed to Reno to pick it up. Turned north at Kingman, saw where the AZPT heads out south….

051231AF F6AF 4E65 96E6 0664B3A4ED38
2BDF5C37 DE2A 4590 99DA 70324734CC05
57EACA5F 9300 4B52 B1DE 1A6BEF974644
AE5B29CF 65CC 401C A704 331187A66803
8735E5FA 4397 45A1 BA0F 64CEF255F344

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
That looks great! I can’t wait to hear about your impressions of it.

maybe you could start a new thread about it? I’m sure there’s gonna be a ton of interest in what you think works well and what doesn’t work well with a set up like this. 600 pounds at a starting point it’s just too heavy for what I want to pull. I’m sure a lot of guys wouldn’t think twice about that for going on the trails.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That looks great! I can’t wait to hear about your impressions of it.

maybe you could start a new thread about it? I’m sure there’s gonna be a ton of interest in what you think works well and what doesn’t work well with a set up like this. 600 pounds at a starting point it’s just too heavy for what I want to pull. I’m sure a lot of guys wouldn’t think twice about that for going on the trails.
Yeah, not for the 500, but no issue for the Talon….
I’ll be interested in what you end up with…👍

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll have to check those out the next time I’m in Reno visiting my daughter. My wife actually said that she would like to go on the AZPT ride. I’m still in shock.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’ll have to check those out the next time I’m in Reno visiting my daughter. My wife actually said that she would like to go on the AZPT ride. I’m still in shock.
Cool, they’re in an industrial park down on Airway Drive. I hope you bring her!! Where in AZ are you btw?

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool, they’re in an industrial park down on Airway Drive. I hope you bring her!! Where in AZ are you btw?
I’m in Oracle, about 25 mi north of Tucson. Kingman is about a 5 hr. drive for us but the AZPT looks like it might be a lot of fun.

S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice! You got lucky. I have a residency in New Mexico and had that on my Pioneer 700 and it was put to the test twice in other states and not accepted. New Mexico actually has a metal plate like everyone else but I’ve not been able to get one during Covid with closed offices….

Btw, care to share your experience on the AZPT with us????🙏🏻
If you look under the general discussion topic area I posted several things there in March 2021. It was a fun ride.

S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice! You got lucky. I have a residency in New Mexico and had that on my Pioneer 700 and it was put to the test twice in other states and not accepted. New Mexico actually has a metal plate like everyone else but I’ve not been able to get one during Covid with closed offices….

Btw, care to share your experience on the AZPT with us????🙏🏻
I posted some stuff in March about the ride under the general discussion topic.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!