Fall 2022 Arizona Peace Trail cross country trek - Planning Thread!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I posted some stuff in March about the ride under the general discussion topic.
Thanks Shelly, I found it though it was difficult as the thread title was “phone number”….😂

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't mind having something done. I wouldn't attempt to do it myself. As Clint Eastwood said, "A man has to know his limitations." If it doesn't go boom or bang, I look elsewhere. Part of the problem as I see it, is if I am going to have it done, I want it done for everywhere I am likely to go. There is no such thing as street legal here in Colorado. I think NM, WY, AZ, and UT, all have their own rules and regs for "Street Legal". I mean can I get it done for SD and everyone else is happy or if I forget a parking brake or horn or sideview mirrors, am I then in violation.

When I look at that, it then occurs to me there is licensing required and although CO hits your wallet for titling and OHV license it doesn't compute for elsewhere.

I am open to suggestions....

s/f Steve
I just read the OHV rules again for AZ. Looks like they don’t care where you live as long as you have a title to the vehicle. For the AZPT ride, however, you will be riding on some county and state roads so a street legal license plate is required. Unfortunately that requires liability insurance and your insurance company may not want to issue insurance for a state different than you’re a resident of. It’s a lot easier if you live in a state where actual tags are issued. Then you will only need the OHV STICKER for Az. As far as street legal in Az goes, you only have to have a license plate light, horn and rear view mirror over and above the stock equipment and then the liability insurance.

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Pjon,

That is very interesting. My Hondas are Titled, insured wherever I take them, are licensed as OHV and with stickers on both front fenders. I have a rear view mirror good for hundreds of feet, but no horn. Not sure how to light up my stickers and get a horn to please the local Gendarme. I wonder if a can of air boat horn on the dash would suffice, I had a foot pedal horn on my EZGO and it was so sexy (NOT!). I suspect my Gunsite affiliation will get me by most cops, but wouldn't want to push my luck.

I used a buddies ATV in Yavapai County, Chino/Paulden and the only addition I remember was turn signals. Your post was awesome and gives me a place to keep looking. Much thanks!

s/f Steve

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pjon,

That is very interesting. My Hondas are Titled, insured wherever I take them, are licensed as OHV and with stickers on both front fenders. I have a rear view mirror good for hundreds of feet, but no horn. Not sure how to light up my stickers and get a horn to please the local Gendarme. I wonder if a can of air boat horn on the dash would suffice, I had a foot pedal horn on my EZGO and it was so sexy (NOT!). I suspect my Gunsite affiliation will get me by most cops, but wouldn't want to push my luck.

I used a buddies ATV in Yavapai County, Chino/Paulden and the only addition I remember was turn signals. Your post was awesome and gives me a place to keep looking. Much thanks!

s/f Steve
Turn signals are not required in AZ. If you already have insurance, you could get an Az tag and OHV sticker and you’re good to go. Sand dune areas in AZ require a buggy whip, but I’m not planingon any dune running. Just something to get ripped off on low hanging branches.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I just read the OHV rules again for AZ. Looks like they don’t care where you live as long as you have a title to the vehicle. For the AZPT ride, however, you will be riding on some county and state roads so a street legal license plate is required. Unfortunately that requires liability insurance and your insurance company may not want to issue insurance for a state different than you’re a resident of. It’s a lot easier if you live in a state where actual tags are issued. Then you will only need the OHV STICKER for Az. As far as street legal in Az goes, you only have to have a license plate light, horn and rear view mirror over and above the stock equipment and then the liability insurance.
Yeah, thanks for that info. A few of us that are coming already have all that taken care of…
And if you saw what @Shelly posted looks like New Mexico’s $7 tag on line will work on the AZPT, if you’re stopped by a friendly LEO….🤔

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Pjon,

s/f Steve
The AZPT organization has a list of requirements for the trail…It’s not onerous…

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The AZPT organization has a list of requirements for the trail…It’s not onerous…
Out of state riders need to go to www.azgfd.com and click on OHV at the top of the page to see the newest rules. Anyone riding the AZPT will need an Arizona OHV sticker. There are no longer reciprocal agreements with other states. The AZPT does include public roads and lots of State Trust Lands. Additionally, if any camping is done on State Trust Lands a recreational permit is required, these are available for individuals or family use.

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I'll be at Ben Avery next month and will see what I can accomplish if I have any time. I'll also be at Ben Avery and then Tucson for most of the month of March and into April 2022. I should have plenty of time to sort it out.

The next big question is when in 2022 is this trip planned?

s/f Steve

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'll be at Ben Avery next month and will see what I can accomplish if I have any time. I'll also be at Ben Avery and then Tucson for most of the month of March and into April 2022. I should have plenty of time to sort it out.

The next big question is when in 2022 is this trip planned?

s/f Steve
It appears it must be the second half of October as too many are out for November due to hunting interests…..

Last edited:
advertisement
WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We need to talk about and nail down what day of the week will be best to rendezvous at. I know we’ll be at a hotel in Kingman the night before making last minute preparations…..
If we leave on 17th. That would make it the last 2 weeks of October

ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
May want to check the snowfall already in the mountains. The Rimrocker already picked up 2 to 4 in and places around Salt Lake picked up over a foot.

Have we decided we are leaving from Kingman?

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
May want to check the snowfall already in the mountains. The Rimrocker already picked up 2 to 4 in and places around Salt Lake picked up over a foot.

You thinking we need to move it back some?

Reactions: Biteme
ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think the western AZ mountains don’t get much snow, the snow usually is up by Flagstaff, as long as we go clock wise from Kingman on the trail we would get though the higher elevation mid month anyway. I was thinking that I will bring a winter coat for the day or two we we be at the higher elevations. Can’t be a lot of snow as AZ is a desert isn’t it?

Reactions: Biteme
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m thinking that if we leave Kingman after breakfast on the first day, we’ll be clear of the potential snow areas ‘til we’re almost back to Kingman at the end of the ride. I’m thinking that first gas stop will be Wikieup and it’s quite a bit lower than Kingman.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

It’ll be ok….

753D1C52 334E 4C24 A342 49F7A107FAFC

advertisement