Fall 2022 Arizona Peace Trail cross country trek - Planning Thread!

GrnP500

GrnP500

Lifetime Member
Apr 21, 2019
COTXARLA
Ownership

1. 500
@Keebler and @GrnP500 plus wives are riding the Peace Trail starting on March 19, 2023. The starting location will be Quartzsite. @Keebler has the itinerary on a spreadsheet which he will post. Everyone is welcome to tag along or since we have P500s, you can tag ahead. We will be staying in motels and camping in campgrounds.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
@Keebler and @GrnP500 plus wives are riding the Peace Trail starting on March 19, 2023. The starting location will be Quartzsite. @Keebler has the itinerary on a spreadsheet which he will post. Everyone is welcome to tag along or since we have P500s, you can tag ahead. We will be staying in motels and camping in campgrounds.
Current thinking is that we will start in Quartzsite, stay in Lake Havasu City for night1, stay around

Reactions: crewcabrob
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I’m curious to see the itinerary. I assume camping and staying in a motel alternating ? Wasn’t the original plan to camp two nights then stay in a motel.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Current thinking is the following agenda:
Sat 3/18 Night 0 Quartzsite
Sun 3/19 Night 1 Lake Havasu City
Mon 3/20 Night 2 Bullhead City
Tue 3/21 Night 3 Kingman
Wed 3/22 Night 4 Wikieup
Thr 3/23 Night 5 Alamo Lake
Fri 3/24 Night 6 Salome
Sat 3/25 Night 7 Quartzsite
* Will stay near Wikieup since the only place to stay in town burned down last May)

We are doing the upper loop and not going below Hwy 10, down to Yuma, due to the immigration problem. I am working a list of campgrounds, hotels, and a route sheet that I will post soon. I am looking at a side trip on the last day, or maybe the day after, to go south from Quartzsite through the Good, Bad, and Ugly then back to Quartzsite. During the ride I do plan side trips to Oatman, to the Secret Passage, and a number of abandoned mines.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Current thinking is the following agenda:
Sat 3/18 Night 0 Quartzsite
Sun 3/19 Night 1 Lake Havasu City
Mon 3/20 Night 2 Bullhead City
Tue 3/21 Night 3 Kingman
Wed 3/22 Night 4 Wikieup
Thr 3/23 Night 5 Alamo Lake
Fri 3/24 Night 6 Salome
Sat 3/25 Night 7 Quartzsite
* Will stay near Wikieup since the only place to stay in town burned down last May)

We are doing the upper loop and not going below Hwy 10, down to Yuma, due to the immigration problem. I am working a list of campgrounds, hotels, and a route sheet that I will post soon. I am looking at a side trip on the last day, or maybe the day after, to go south from Quartzsite through the Good, Bad, and Ugly then back to Quartzsite. During the ride I do plan side trips to Oatman, to the Secret Passage, and a number of abandoned mines.
I appreciate the detail you have provided. Any idea on the (approx.) mileage for each leg?

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I appreciate the detail you have provided. Any idea on the (approx.) mileage for each leg?
The attached is a snapshot of one of my current planning spreadsheets. I will release the entire spreadsheet within the next couple days, following verifying hotel and campground prices and availability. The drive times do not include sight seeing, lunch, and side trips. The day we drive to Kingman will also include a 35 mile side trip to Oatman.

AZPT Planning

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thats great data. Looks very close to the APT Atlas I have.

Reactions: Smittyp
BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
That is fantastic!! I'm eager to see your completed spreadsheet. I'm assuming that this is something that you created. It would be great to see this level of detail for the entire AZPT. I understand your concern about the south side. Our group hasn't discussed if this is a deterrent to any of us yet. I'm open to the whole route but it will put some extra miles each day and limit sight-seeing... Again my thanks and please keep us posted as your details become more finalized.

advertisement
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
The attached is a snapshot of one of my current planning spreadsheets. I will release the entire spreadsheet within the next couple days, following verifying hotel and campground prices and availability. The drive times do not include sight seeing, lunch, and side trips. The day we drive to Kingman will also include a 35 mile side trip to Oatman.

View attachment 353983
It is taken from the AZPT Atlas and I assigned average speeds for the different section ratings. All is adjustable so I can update speeds and which sections to include in each day. The Kingman to Alamo lake sections have a bunch of potential side trips. The Bullhead to Kingman portion has a potential secret pass side trip.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I bought the Atlas as prep for the trip this fall that fell through. I'm pretty sure most of that is from the Atlas: E1-4, M1-2 and mileages are straight from the book. What I appreciate seeing is that we can avoid the southern most part and make the rest of the trip a bit shorter. Some of the days looked very long. With a P500/520 having a top speed of 39mph, there is little way to make up time. :)

Reactions: ByronM and Smittyp
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
It is taken from the AZPT Atlas and I assigned average speeds for the different section ratings. All is adjustable so I can update speeds and which sections to include in each day. The Kingman to Alamo lake sections have a bunch of potential side trips. The Bullhead to Kingman portion has a potential secret pass side trip.
This looks great Keebler! gets me excited to plan for it again.

I'll grab my atlas at home and start looking at the mileages and side trips again.

Given you went on the RimRocker with your P500, I will defer to you on the speed you believe we can travel at. I'm going to look at my average speeds I did in Wyoming and see if I can confirm traveling at that speed what I think the terrain will be like.

Reactions: Smittyp
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I bought the Atlas as prep for the trip this fall that fell through. I'm pretty sure most of that is from the Atlas: E1-4, M1-2 and mileages are straight from the book. What I appreciate seeing is that we can avoid the southern most part and make the rest of the trip a bit shorter. Some of the days looked very long. With a P500/520 having a top speed of 39mph, there is little way to make up time. :)
I am a bit concerned about the first day (96 miles). The only help in this section is that there are no good side rides and the sections should allow for a quicker pace. With that being said I don't run my P500 above 30 mph and require a stop about every hour for a stretch and some sight seeing. From the AZPT Atlas I suspect the E3, M1, and M2 ratings are not for the whole section but for specific areas of the section. I will drop the averages to E2=18, E3=14, M1=8, and M2=5 and see what that does for ride times.

After the changed times day 2 looks like a possible problem, see attached.

Attachments

• PeaceTrailPlanning.xlsx
    46 KB · Views: 61
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Yeah, I see what you mean. Over 9 hours of riding for day two is a lot. And that is if there are no issues on the trail. I just remember reading what happened on the RimRocker with everyone stuck.

When my wife and I rode in Wyoming, the absolute roughest section I still ran 7-9mph. I only had to slow down for water and mud and an occasional tight section in the rocks.
Run it again with a 1mph increase and I think you will have a reasonable minimum.

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I bumped M1 and M2 up 1 mile an hour they got you under eight hours for that part of the trip

Reactions: Smitty335
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Do you guys that are planning a new adventure for the AZPT in 2023 want to start a new thread?

Rob

Reactions: Smitty335
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rob, now that the proposed ride in the spring has excluded the southern parts and is now looking to be designed to spend most nights in motels, I won’t be going.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!