Fall 2022 Arizona Peace Trail cross country trek - Planning Thread!

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good to hear that you guys are still planning on attending the ride. I have a garage full of goodies for my Pioneer to prep for the ride. Just need to find time to get them installed and tested prior to a big ride.

I even started to get some other components together for our camp. As things get closer, maybe I can reassess participating. Still a no as of right now.

Rob
Hope everything works out for you Rob.

ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
Pjon, you mentioned a cot tent as part of your kit, I was thinking of purchasing one for this trip, something along the lines of the Kamp Rite, what brand do you have and how do you like it?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Omg! They had quite the adventure.

Reactions: Pilgrim
ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
Haven’t heard anything from the group for awhile, hope Keebler and John are doing 👍. Looks like there is no longer a motel in Wikieup Wikieup Trading Post burned down
I would still like to take this trip if we can get a small group together, maybe in the next month or so we could put together a video call with interested parties to see what we want to do?

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haven’t heard anything from the group for awhile, hope Keebler and John are doing 👍. Looks like there is no longer a motel in Wikieup Wikieup Trading Post burned down
I would still like to take this trip if we can get a small group together, maybe in the next month or so we could put together a video call with interested parties to see what we want to do?
I never thought that Wikieup would be a viable motel stop. They do have gas ($$$$$) at a couple of stations there, but I always figured that Wikieup would be the first gas stop only and then we would continue back to the trail and camp the first night.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is probably getting to be time to get to a serious plan…..I enjoy the group as much as the trip….. I am probably still gonna let Eddie /Alex/Jason do the deciding……also very much enjoy having John and Cindy along…..
I haven’t heard this week…. But last I heard he was trying to clean up from New Mexico fires and had a knee replacement scheduled for next week…..
how is that for a no commitment answer..???
I haven’t cancelled anything with the motel yet but been planning on calling them soon….

advertisement
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is probably getting to be time to get to a serious plan…..I enjoy the group as much as the trip….. I am probably still gonna let Eddie /Alex/Jason do the deciding……also very much enjoy having John and Cindy along…..
I haven’t heard this week…. But last I heard he was trying to clean up from New Mexico fires and had a knee replacement scheduled for next week…..
how is that for a no commitment answer..???
I haven’t cancelled anything with the motel yet but been planning on calling them soon….
I’m thinking that we should start thinking about which nights we spend camping and which nights we spend in motels. With extra fuel, I’m good for at least 160 miles, others may feel they can go farther or less. So, we also need to start some planning with this in mind.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you want quick, easy & already programmed go this route (but the radio about 1/2 the power):
I’m currently using a Midland MXT275 which is a 15 watt GMRS radio. One of the great things about it that you can plug a Rugged Radio headset into the mic and cut out all of the noise from the geartrain, wind and tires. All you have to buy for it is the headset and connecting cord. It’s a standard 5 pin connector for the headset and a 2 prong connector to the microphone. Make sure the connector cord is for an ICOM radio.

Last edited:
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep. So do you know if the AZPT passes through state trust land? I’ll check and see if the AZPT atlas I bought mentions that…..
Yes, there are several areas where the AZPT goes through State Trust Land, but with property ownership maps available with Gaia, it’s easy not to stop there.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thought you were going to say he was trained to cut trim for you. Nice bear butt!

Bears on the Rim but not so much in the lower desert...BUT there are lots of rattlesnake.
There are a few rattlesnakes. We’ve only seen a couple on 4800 miles of trails. Actually Gila Monsters are easier to find.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would bring at least one wheel bearing. Something to repair a flat. Spare tire, tools to change the tire and bearing if necessary. Set of tie rods. The trail goes for a long way where there is nothing. I would haul 5 gallons of gas w me. If you are going to do the entire trail you we refuel w it while you are on the trail. I would layer my clothing it was cold in kingmam and warmed up as we came down to lower elevations.
An extra 5 gal of gas(I’m only planning on 2 gals)would be another 21 lbs that you won’t need. I ride a lot desert in AZ and unless we’re putting around in low range for more than 30 miles, I’m still getting 20 mpg. We’re planning no more than 140 on the longest days.

S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
An extra 5 gal of gas(I’m only planning on 2 gals)would be another 21 lbs that you won’t need. I ride a lot desert in AZ and unless we’re putting around in low range for more than 30 miles, I’m still getting 20 mpg. We’re planning no more than 140 on the longest days.
Let us know how it works out.

Our longest day was 170 or 175mi. It was only supposed to be 160 but our lead guy got lost. We all carried the 5 gals of gas and we all were glad to have it.

Reactions: crewcabrob
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let us know how it works out.

Our longest day was 170 or 175mi. It was only supposed to be 160 but our lead guy got lost. We all carried the 5 gals of gas and we all were glad to have it.
Your input is greatly appreciated, but remember we’re planning on 8 days, so the miles per day will be less.

S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your input is greatly appreciated, but remember we’re planning on 8 days, so the miles per day will be less.
I would be interested to know if the hotel has been rebuilt in Wikieup. I had heard it burned down. We did not stay there it was full. I think it only had 6 rooms.

Reactions: crewcabrob
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would be interested to know if the hotel has been rebuilt in Wikieup. I had heard it burned down. We did not stay there it was full. I think it only had 6 rooms.
I don’t know of anything definitive on the rebuilding. However, with the remoteness of Wikieup, the supply problems and probable insurance problems they‘re probably having, I doubt any rebuild will be a slow process if at all.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well troops….. I am officially backing out of the peace trail ride this year….. too many side commitments and circumstances for me to be able to commit……
Best of luck and hope all goes well….I will be interested in seeing the reports…….

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!