P500 Finally Committed to the P500

I

IDdandy

Apr 19, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 20170422 190326616 HDR
View attachment 42807 I have to admit. I've been stalking this forum for about a year now. I've been thinking a sxs would fit my needs pretty well but it has to be a 50" model for the trails I ride on. I made a promise to myself a very long time ago that I would never own a Polaris or a Chevy (I'm not the type to break promises). I was hesitant to buy the Honda because of it's obvious downfalls. After reading thread after thread on this forum I decided it was the machine for me. I've only put 25 miles on it so far just playing around, and my first impressions are that it will go absolutely everywhere. I think I will definitely enjoy riding my new toy and buying all the accessories you guys recommend.
The wife is absolutely freaked out about the sled deck. I've figured all the weights and the Ram should be just fine pulling the toys and the camper.

Last edited:
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Congratulations on buying the best SxS currently available. I haven't heard of a single P500 owner that dislikes their machine. Even an old wore out Honda is better than a brand new Polaris, or Arctic Cat especially ( I always love to take a jab at AC whenever I get the opportunity ):D.
Looks like you already added 25" or 26" tires, the most important first upgrade IMHO.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Congrats! wow you are packing the toys in that rig! watch out for low clearance branches and bridges. Let us know how it handles pulling the camper, Im wanting a cummins Ram soon...

Reactions: trigger
J

Jshell3

I was hesitant to buy the Honda because of it's obvious downfalls. After reading thread after thread on this forum I decided it was ...
Youve got a dependable and reliable Honda. Many years of service, I'm sure!

That sled bed... is it scary to load?

What's this obvious downfall you speak of?

I

IDdandy

Apr 19, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Congrats! wow you are packing the toys in that rig! watch out for low clearance branches and bridges. Let us know how it handles pulling the camper, Im wanting a cummins Ram soon...
This is actually the 6.4 Hemi. I decided I can buy a lot of gas for the $8,000 difference. It hasn't disappointed me yet. There's a lot of big grades where I live and I can't hardly tell the camper is back there. We'll see after adding the weight of the toys.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Has to be lack of suspension, power, tippiness... but he bought a Dodge so he's used to compromise. :D
Had to throw out that dig, I'm a Chevy guy.

I

IDdandy

Apr 19, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Congratulations on buying the best SxS currently available. I haven't heard of a single P500 owner that dislikes their machine. Even an old wore out Honda is better than a brand new Polaris, or Arctic Cat especially ( I always love to take a jab at AC whenever I get the opportunity ):D.
Looks like you already added 25" or 26" tires, the most important first upgrade IMHO.
Thank you, I'd agree with you completely. If I didn't get the P500 I would have bought a Rubicon DCT.
My upgrades so far
26" Bighorn 3.0.
3500 KFI Stealth Winch
Quadboss Roof
Super ATV half windshield.

Reactions: rocmar and trigger
K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
Whats the height to the top of the roof on the P500? I have a 6.4 hemi myself and just haul it in the bed of my truck.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

20140504 185514

I used this BullDog....quad carrier..holds 2 full size quads
...drive on..drive off...or a UTV...loaded from the rear...
only scary..first few times..

I

IDdandy

Apr 19, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Whats the height to the top of the roof on the P500? I have a 6.4 hemi myself and just haul it in the bed of my truck.
Overall height is just under 12'. It was a little sketchy at first but the Dodge definitely handles it better than I expected. Hardly any body roll. As far as loading and unloading, I have no issue at all. I have custom folding ramps that are almost 10' long and with the stability of the Pioneer it just creeps right up the ramps. It would be a lot sketchier with a belt drive that's for sure.
I'm currently sitting at home recovering from pretty extensive back surgery. As soon as I'm feeling better I'll get the 28' camper hooked up to the back and post a picture of the whole fleet.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Overall height is just under 12'. It was a little sketchy at first but the Dodge definitely handles it better than I expected. Hardly any body roll. As far as loading and unloading, I have no issue at all. I have custom folding ramps that are almost 10' long and with the stability of the Pioneer it just creeps right up the ramps. It would be a lot sketchier with a belt drive that's for sure.
I'm currently sitting at home recovering from pretty extensive back surgery. As soon as I'm feeling better I'll get the 28' camper hooked up to the back and post a picture of the whole fleet.
I hope your recovery is swift and successful . Regards

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have the P1-5, but have rode with people who have the P500 AND THEY ARE GREAT RIGS. Just with anything its wise to not over do it. HA!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!